Los Alamos National Laboratory – one of the big nuke labs run by the US Department of Energy and a big supercomputing center – has been shut down by the Las Conchas fire that is burning on the outskirts of Santa Fe, New Mexico. The lab – which is 35 miles northwest of Santa Fe and which is home to the "Roadrunner" hybrid Opteron …
"The lab has...
... an operating budget of $2bn and occupies 36 square miles and has over 8 million square feet of facilities in over 2,000 different structures."
So... it's Black Mesa, then?
Am I the only one ...
... who read "wildfire" and "laboratory" and immediately thought of THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN?
I can guarantee
that you are not. First thought was andromeda strain second was computer virus from 2005.
Grad students now working
for roasted peanuts.
They always did
In any case, neither fires, nor cigarettes are the usual cause of a "human fault" fire. The most common cause in "lots of sunshine" places is actually broken glass.
- Very fabric of space-time RIPPED apart in latest Hubble pic
- 10 years of Facebook Inside Facebook's engineering labs: Hardware heaven, HP hell – PICTURES
- Dell charges £16 TO INSTALL FIREFOX on PCs – Mozilla is miffed
- Google! and! Facebook! IDs! face! Yahoo! login! BAN!
- CIA snoops snooped on Senate to spy spy torture report – report