back to article Apple pulls 'intifada' app

Apple has removed an Arabic ‘intifada’ app from its iTunes store in response to a complaint from the Israeli government. The Israeli Public Diplomacy Minister Yuli-Yoel Edelstein wrote to Steve Jobs expressing concerns that the app, ThirdIntifada, accessed content that, he alleged, incites violence against Israel, Reuters …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

WTF?

There's nothing offensive on the page http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ar&u=http://www.3rdintifada.com/about.php

"Our goal

The Liberation of Palestine

From the sea to the river ... and from the river to the sea"

I can see why the Israelis might be offended.

WTF?

Butcher app

There are "large numbers" of vegetarians in the world - would a guide to butchering animals be pulled ? Steve Jobs is very nearly a vegetarian...

Mushroom

Well thank Zarquan

for censorship!

Makes me proud to know that I at least had enough (HTC) sense not to go and get the latest iCrap Device from his Holiness.

Perhaps they'd have had more luck using Android, then at least if Google pulled it you could hav just placed it on One of the many other "Markets" that are available on Android.

Silver badge
Linux

Routing around censorship.

You don't need a "market" to sideload an app on Android. You can just use the development kit for that. Depending on what phone you have, that might just be the easiest approach anyways.

You don't even need the dev kit...

1) Settings > Applications > check Unknown Sources

2) Download and open .apk file

3) There is no step 3

Double standards?

There are official apps for a number of Israeli government agencies and newspapers that consistently support ethnic cleansing, illegal settlements, morally indefensible barriers, blockades, discrimination, etc. Given that a far larger number of people would find them offensive (most Arabs, most Muslims, and many, many others) than the narrow subset of Israelis and their apologists that would claim the 3rd Intifada app as offensive, are Apple going to pull those apps?

(I read the 3rd Intifada site translation, and as far as I can see it seems to be advocating peaceful protest).

Facepalm

You could do something

Instead of asking "are Apple going to pull those apps?", why dont you make a complaint and find out?

Bronze badge
Angel

Or

You could just type in to Goolge: intifada apk

To find it, along with a pro thrown in there for good measure now and again.

Then just roll to your Download Folder and install it.

Shocking how easy it is to find Premium Apps for Android though Google.

Not that I would ever condone such a thing!

Bronze badge

When I first read the title, I thought I read:

"Apple pulls AN Intifada"... Then, I though, "On WHOM? Hmmmm"....

FOX?

http://www.reghardware.com/Design/graphics/icons/comment/trollface_32.png So, Apple will be pulling Fox news apps? Those incite hatred and violence against anyone who isn't a heterosexual white middle class american male (or Sarah Palin)..

Flame

Reminds me..

It just goes to show what an energetic (and effective) "public image apparatus" the Israeli government has. If the Palestinians were able to muster something a quarter as effective, I wonder how much international support Israel would have over some of their policies.

Anybody remember/ know about the "Megaphone desktop tool"?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums