back to article Cybercops close to domain conduct deal

Law enforcement agencies and domain name registrars are nearing agreement on ways to start to clean up the domain name industry and mutually help prevent cybercrime. Here in Singapore, at ICANN's 41st international public meeting, registrars have held a series of meetings this week with police and governmental representatives …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Balls!

Hey coppers and feds, you crack down on the spammers and other scumbags reaping the info, then I'll put my correct details in my WHOIS entry, until then fuck off!

1. wayward4now
      Facepalm

same ole same ole

The best they can hope to do is keep honest people honest by browbeating them senseless. The crooks, spammers, neer-do-wells and scufflaws? Sheeeit, they ain't worried. Meanwhile I have to check up on my Russian bride... she'd being held at a checkpoint, en route to my loving arms, and I have to send some more money to bride the guards. There's some Nigerian dude who is to show up at my front door and I'm to pay him. Gotta run...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

name and shame the registrars?

What about a blacklist of registrars who don't operate a good code of practise and tag any domains registerd by them as suspect so security software can block them. That way only the criminals will register there, tough on the innocent but they'll either bring pressure or move.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How about...

...stopping the registrars from publishing the home address of everyone who buys a domain via WHOIS unless you pay a fee to obscure it?

Simpler and cheaper to just lie glibly on the form in the first place. Plus if the data isn't out there in the first place, it won't escape.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like