back to article Tilera throws gauntlet at Intel's feet

Upstart mega-multicore chip maker Tilera has not yet started sampling its future Tile-Gx 3000 series of server processors, and companies have already locked in orders for the chips. That is how eagerly hyperscale data center operators are anticipating some alternative to power-hungry Xeon processors from Intel and Opteron …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Each core burns 1/2 watt!

Give me a 36 core in a handheld that runs on a couple of processors while on battery and then pops up to say '42' when I plug in the recharger - Angry Birds in 6D...

Silver badge

Sounds interesting

Given the speed-up we get on 24 core machines, I would like to pit them against these machines

Terminator

cyberdyne

that processor looks a lot like the one that used to be in arnie's T-600 and was left in that factory :0

Looks like the T Strategy

Looks like the strategy used to develop the SPARC T-line of processors... right down to the embedded 10 GigE

What's old is new again!

Stop

Why doesn't Tilera compare their CPU to SPARC?

Interestingly, Tilera didn't seem to show whether there are any advantages in the merge-sort when compared to a SPARC T3 CPU. Since T3 is also made on 40 nm, the comparison would make sense in that regard, especially since both CPUs are RISC designs.

Thumb Up

Competition is good

I really wonder what would be powering our PC's now if Intel had no competition?

Boffin

And can it...

... run Crysis IV...?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums