Feeds

back to article Cloud 'not ready for public sector market'

Chris Pope, director of transformation at Merton council, told the Guardian's SmartGov Live event in London that he was "nervous" about adopting cloud computing and being infrastructure free. "Why? Because I do not trust the supply market yet," he said. "The number of instances of organisations taking their IT services back in- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
LPF
Thumb Down

The Cloud

Is only useful for providing increased capacity in times of stree, anyone running critical business function in the cloud, or recommending it, is an idiot that should be kept as far away from the IT decisions as possible.

Anonymous Coward

Save money in public sector IT?

Ok. Here's one easily implemented solution.

Switch to a 5 year replacement cycle instead of 3year. Set that as standard across all government departments.

FAIL

really

Won't his team of 'best technicians in local government' be on strike most of the summer?

FAIL

really?

Won't his 'best technicians in local government' be on strike for the summer trying to protect their bloated final salary pensions?

Coat

how nice

for Mr Tait that his fellow mandarins approved his move from being in charge of the Gcloud implementation to working in VMWare. I do find it refreshing that civil servants deem themselves incapable of conflict of interests (specifically their wallet's interest). Having such honest chaps controlling the country makes one feel all warm and cosy inside.

-the coat belongs to the taxpayer and the person is a senior civil servant helping himself to some nice ca$h from the inside pocket.

Silver badge
Joke

Mr Pope?

What in the hell is a Director of Transformation and is it a linear or matrix transformation? Did you have to undergo a lobotomy prior to taking this position?

Is like being the president of deep mining operations i.o.w. a hole in the ground?

FAIL

the vultures are gathering

The usual rubbish about how Cloud or out-sourcing is the only way Gov IT can be run is being trotted out.

Having run the largest and most successful in-house Whitehall IT infrastructures I can say that all they could offer was 5x the cost and more contract admins than sys admins.

Outsourcing is proposed by those that fail to understand IT or want a future career with the service providers they deal with for their 30 pieces of silver.

I'm not saying you can't bring in outside expertise at the right time, that's about managing relationships with SI's and ISV's. You wouldn't flog your house and rent it for more than your mortgage because you didn't you didn't want to run the central heating.

As for the gold plated pensions. Another crock of s*** I've left government, doubled my salary and improved my pension. Stop reading and believing the gutter press.

I suggest if your CIO/CFO suggests the Cloud or out-sourcing; call the men in white coats and have them taken away to a place of safety.

If you want to run a world class operation on a shoe-string; give me a call! It can be done.

This topic is closed for new posts.