Quantum is buying virtual machine backup specialist Pancetera for a measly $12m. It's not even $12m cash as $3.6m of it is in the form of 1.2 million Quantum shares. What Quantum is buying is "a virtual appliance that can reduce virtual machine backup I/O load by up to 80 per cent, and lets sysadmins move virtual machine files …
I test-drove Pancetera, found it to be unimpressive. Maybe Quantum can do something useful with it, but more likely Pancetera will just be caught in Quantum's death spiral.
But the real questions is....
Why did they fail? Marketing not focused, sales execution?
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Bugger the jetpack, where's my 21st-century Psion?
- Windows 8.1 Update 1 spewed online a MONTH early – by Microsoft
- Google offers up its own Googlers in cloud channel chumship trawl
- Interview Global Warming IS REAL, argues sceptic mathematician - it just isn't THERMAGEDDON