back to article BT ramps up fibre-optic roll-out plan

BT Openreach is to connect a further 66 exchanges - together feeding almost 1m houses and office premises - to its fibre-optic network between now and the end of 2012. Openreach, BT's infrastructure arm, has a list of existing and will-be-connected exchanges on its website. The company said the 66 new locations - and a further …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Unhappy

Yeah, but!

Getting the exchange enabled is only half the battle. My exchange has been enabled for a long time now, but BT still haven't actually enabled my local cabinet! It's called FTTC for a reason!

FAIL

pah

it would be nice if they finished the exchanges they've already started first!! Our exchange was upgraded about 18 months ago and on a busy industrial estate they still haven't upgraded our junction box so that we can get the service. 2mbps adsl doesnt cut it for a business our size :(

Unhappy

S*ds's Law says...

...that after this rollout is completed: in our less-than-ten-year-old house on the outskirts of a major (supposedly high-tech) town in southern England, less than a mile from an exchange which is BT Infinity-enabled, we will still be stuck with sub-2MBit broadband for the foreseeable future.

No-one would be happier than me, to be proven wrong...

Facepalm

Anonymous?

You can say "Langford Village, Bicester", no one will shout.

2Mb would be nice....let alone 20Mb.

Anonymous Coward

I would if I lived there ;-)

Having said that, you're not so far out...

Unhappy

<Title space for rent.>

BT Should really be revising there whole roll out plan. Forget about the exchanges where users are more than likely already getting 12mb+ speeds and speed upgrades every other 5 months. BT should really be getting there finger out and helping the mere mortals who are on sub 2mb connections (Ohhh even a 2mb connection would be a HUGE moral boost to myself and most others)

Just hope BT read The Register comments to find the true scale of the broadband speed divide which this country has. I honestly believe that I will be on the same crappy connection speed I have in 7 years time. Please BT give the rest of is a chance to see what the BBC Iplayer, Sky player, 4oD is really like!

Not a happy BT customer.

M7S
Bronze badge
Happy

huge "moral" boost to yourself and most others?

I'm sure that this doesn't apply to you but with the stuff most people will be downloading on the new connection, I don't imagine morals will be boosted

Megaphone

I think

The government should bite the bullet and install cable to everyone's home. Yes, it would cost a shit load but given the amount of money they regularly waste, it would be a drop in the ocean and actually benefit our country.

FAIL

Seriously they are ramping up???? Going backwards more like

They are not ramping up my local exchange has had 5 different dates for it to be enabled, this 'ramp up' actually pushes the enable date from this year to next... Oh, I live in the capital not some rural village...

FAIL

GRRRR!

Funny - the linked page has a doc stating that BT is 'accepting orders' now for my exchange (the published FTTC date up to this point was the end of June 2011), but if I go elsewhere on the BT site, that date has now changed to the end of September!

What's even more annoying is that there are BT vans stuffing cables into holes everywhere around here at the moment, so I really thought it was coming.

This whole thing started when they announced that it'd be Dec 30th 2010 for my area. Then they moved the date. Then they moved the date again etc. etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums