back to article Nokia CTO replaced by Professor of Karma

Rich Green is no longer Nokia's Chief Technology Officer, and is taking a leave of absence from the troubled Finnish company. The company has confirmed that Henry Tirri, a distinguished academic and research fellow at Nokia Research, will step into his shoes. Nokia said Green was on leave for personal reasons. Green, who is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AB
    Mushroom

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!

That is all.

2. Neil 7
    Coffee/keyboard

Principles

Presumably Rich Green has some - good for him.

Escape because... that's the best option for anyone still at Nokia under Elop and Ballmer.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think it is really health issue....

...he does not look well on his latest photo. Besides, he agreed to become Executive Board member after 'burning platform' memo re-organisation...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Looking unwell

To be honest, if someone told me that we would ditch our own software and use MS's instead, I'd probably look unwell too. (Is there a Windows for Spaceships yet?)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not sure he has any reason to call Symbian/Maemo software 'our own'...

His only 'achievement' during his very short tenure was putting his former Sun buddies in the key positions in CTO Office. Never heard about his contribution to software development...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

contributions to software development ...

... have not exactly been seen when he was at Sun either. But the buddie thing does ring bells !

2. foo_bar_baz
          Meh

@alalamein: I could be wrong

But when he was in charge Nokia sorted out the Qt.Symbian vs. Qt.MeeGoAemo (yes I just invented that) UI disaster and finally got their cross platform development story straight. Then came the Announcement.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"...when he was in charge..."

The problem is that he never was in charge at Nokia, simply hanging around...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If MS tries...

...to buy Nokia, would Finnish authorities step in to block them?

1. Andus McCoatover

No. It's been Officially denied.

http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2011/06/elop_nokia_is_not_for_sale_2653620.html

There. You've been told.

Can't write more, too busy working out what "short selling" means...

5. DS 1

Odd company

They basically know how to make great handsets. But always struck me as being slow, slow, and very slow in getting anything working software wise at all. I imagine internally that trying to drive through this change is probably like trying to move the ice age.

Anyway, the last time Nokia were interesting for me was the N900. Had they made a better phone with decent screen imput, and better (read, Linux that actually got worked on, improved, finished, updated, instead of broken and incomplete) that would have been nice. And they should have used Android too, but dread to think what their software update program would have panned out at. Probably still stuck on 1.6

I don't understand how you end up being that large, with those numbers and end up also being slower than treacle at _any_delivery_whatsoever.

Its not hard no matter how well engineered the handsets might be at how badly behind they ended up in a time where software change, speed, and progression has to be lightening, not molasses.

6. Levente Szileszky
    Thumb Down

Anything that MS touches FAILS, that's rule #1...

...and rule #2 is after it happens they all try to escape the deadly grip of this bureaucratic, thought-killing, management-ruined slow-moving beast called Microsoft.

Strictly looking at mobile business: with its utter junk Windows Mobile MS literally KILLED Sendo, Nortel, Danger and *ALMOST* managed to kill Ericsson, Motorola, LG, Palm, Nokia - this is all in the past 10 years.

If you look at the list you will notice that survivals are all MS-free and running Android and raking in profit again. The only exception is Nokia and MS is at it again, this time even managed to push Elop into the CEO's chair - the same guy who made the Nokia-MS deal as an MS employee in 2009 about bringing 'all Office business to Symbian'... less than two years later Nokia was on the ropes and the hyenas are already circling.

Moral of all these stories - most important business survival message for execs: AVOID CONTACT WITH MICROSOFT AT ALL COST!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who can blame him?

Rich left Sun because Sun decided not to build their own Mobile platform (JavaFX Mobile). When Sun canned that, it was my believe that he went to Nokia with the intention of helping them build a Mobile Platform to replace Symbian - an ambition now thwarted. Unfortunately, there may not be any places left for him to go to if that's what he wants to do.

8. asdf
    FAIL

stop the merkin hate

Getting old to hear all the Euros blame the USA for Nokia downfall. If not for the well documented worthless infighting Nokia bureaucracy (in a Euro corporation no way you say) they would not be in this mess. Its not like this was suddenly caused by M$ in the last few months. They are just the ultimate opportunists like vultures themselves.

1. asdf
      FAIL

M$ sucks

And no I am not defending M$ just ripping on Nokia's worthless middle management. Many of us merkins loathe the maker of such game changing products like the Zune and Kin the same as any one else.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The US is full of Europeans

The two main languages English and Spanish, from England and Spain, and English is made from Germanic, French, Greek, Latin (Italian), Celtic, Norse and Indian.

A coping method with a brash rich neighbour, is to start rumours about there must be something morally wrong: a deal with the devil, or they are deeply unhappy, or they are just lucky.

Many techie people have a problem with Microsoft, because they are business focused, and successful at it, but they do not have high morals (they are the snake in the grass or the alligator in the water hole). They no longer appear to be a high tech company, technology has moved on and left them behind, so their success appears to be unwarranted from a techie point-of-view.

Techie types like to know how something works, but Microsoft is closed and secretive.

Visual Studio is supposed to be one of the best development environments, but developing Windows applications is terrible: wasting huge amounts of time trying to find why some Windows library object doesn't do what appears it should, and only saved by being able to Google.

A lot of so called new techniques appear to be just rehashes of old techniques, and not invented. There is much value to researching the best way to use a thing, but it is not really creating anything new, and chances are any engineer would evolve the thing in the same way.

Business is a completive game, what upsets the techies is being able to play the game, but not being allowed to play because you might beat the past winning old farts who now control the game.

3. emlimo
      Flame

It is about Nokia

This is not about USA. But it has a lot to do with Elop and it has to do with MS.. Sure Nokia was in trouble before Elop and before the february annoncement about MS. Nokia was loosing market shares, and the trend was not good. But, Nokia was still by far the biggest in industry. In numbers and in revenue. And they still had profit. Nokia had problems, but was sure not on a burning platform. Well, untill Elop added the gasoline. Now Nokia is on a burning platform. Elop is burning Symbian, Ovi store (next biggest after apple store), Meego, Qt. A move over to WP7 is like walking away from a userbase counted in hundreds of millions. Away from technology invested over years by hundreds of thousends of engineers. For what? WP7 has not proven anything. Looks more like Elop is doing this in self interest ( as he has big shares in Microsoft ). If Symbian is a dying platform, WP7 is like a midgit with aids. There is no reason to marry, even staying in bed together is dangerous.

Nokia should keep Symbian and build up Meego. They can even have a flirt with Android to help the fluids flowing. But kill it all and move in bed with Microsoft is like suicide.

9. Lars Silver badge
    Headmaster

Hmm

What's new? (Last updated, September 17 2005)

10. Arctic fox
    WTF?

Ratings agencies?

I know that it is not on main topic but I could not help getting that eyecrossing feeling when I read in the article that ratings agencies had downgraded Nokia's credit. The same agencies that gave that toxic shit from the US mortgage market AAA ratings? The same agencies that contributed big time to a global financial crisis a couple of years or so ago? The same agencies whose ratings amounted to downright fraud for which the taxpayer is paying through the nose for? Coming from that bunch of scum-buckets their "down-grade" almost makes me inclined to classify Nokia shares as buying opportunity!

1. Andus McCoatover

Bedtime reading?

Have you been indulging in Madoff's autobiography, perchance*?

* See! I used the word again!

11. musojon74
    Unhappy

Sad

I used to like Nokia. This has to be a lower the share price before sale to Ms. Boone can be thus stupid without an ulterior motive.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like