back to article Oracle whips out private cloud with blades

Everybody wants to sell preconfigured virtualized servers with integrated management. Otherwise known a private infrastructure cloud. Now Oracle does too, only it calls them Oracle Optimized Solution for Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure. Presumably, this is not meant to be abbreviated to OOSFECI. At the Cloud Expo 2011 in New …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Coat

Ohh dear...

Looks like Sun, having been acquired by Oracle not too long back truly has lost its Sparc.

Anonymous Coward

Ten blades...

"Oracle is pitting a Sun Blade 6000 chassis with ten of the X6270 blades against a Hewlett-Packard c7000 chassis with ten of its BL460c G7 two-socket Xeon 5600 blade servers."

Compare again with 11 and the difference changes again, eh?

RHEL

If you look at the price difference, the key one is in OS licenses. But RHEL provide support. Oracle have their own downstream version of RHEL, Which, if I wanted, I could get by running CentOS on anything, which is what people in the big data centres tend to do.

I wonder how much OS support oracle actually provide for their stack.

Good move

It's a good move on Oracles part. They should have come out with a private cloud solution much earlier.

Silver badge
Happy

Ah, just like old times!

I feel quite nostalgic! It so reminds me of all those carefully-crafted price and performance comparisons we used to see for SPARC-Slowaris. First question I'd ask is were the hp blades allowed to use Virtual Connect and FlexFabric?

FAIL

Sorry how is this a private cloud?

Im sorry is this really a private cloud, or just a load of hypervisors running on some tin?

Where is the self service portal, where is the resource templating tool and more importantly where is the workflow engine to handle service deployment and lifecycle?

Oh thats right Oracle dont have any of that!

Im sick and tired of vendors and IT departments calling a bunch of hypervisors on some tin a "private cloud" ............ no its not its a pile of hypervisors on some tin!

Also its a bit of a dubious comparison! The major costs are actually in the hypervisor stack, so removing that and doing a straight up comparison of hardware to hardware and HP wins (again)

FAIL

Enjoy that Chassis and Blade sys mgt

It really sucks compared to HP, even compared to Dell/IBM.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums