Feeds

back to article Maximum fine raised to £2m for telcos that don't cough up network data

Ofcom can fine telecoms companies up to £2m for failing to hand over information about their networks, the media regulator has said. The government raised the maximum fine Ofcom could issue from a previous level of £50,000 following changes to the EU Authorisation Directive, Ofcom said in a statement. "The government has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

We need to realise,

We're under attack!

Silver badge

Attack

It sort of looks to me as if it's a threat towards those ISP's who have recently questioned the whole process. They may have lost in court but it's a now more public can of worms.

Mobiles

Can we now expect accurate and detailed information about every base station ?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Indeedy

Everything Everywhere we are looking at you. Perhaps you'd deign to tell us your mast locations now?

No? £2m smackeroos please.

Bronze badge

why don't they just ask/pay Google?

Surely the GoogleCars had phones on every available network as they were driving everywhere? They probably know where every RF emitter on the planet (for the most part) is located, what color its fence is, and how many phone company trucks contained sleeping techs.

Pirate

I will give them my Dude map when they can pry it from my cold dead hands

Dude is the network monitoring tool for Mikrotik wireless networks.

Joke

Coincidence?

Strange coincidence that this is announced the day after Offcom's IT Director gets two-and-a-half years in prison for defrauding the telecoms regulator out of more than half-a-million quid.

I guess they need a way to get their money back.

Now?

Now can't they get sodding Orange and T-Mobile to submit data on their mast locations?

This topic is closed for new posts.