back to article Intel enlists universities in security wars

Intel has launched a security-research collaboration with major US universities, saying that all research results will be made public, and all software developed in the program will be open sourced. The collaboration between Intel and university faculty and graduate students will be the second in the Intel Science and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nyelvmark
    Boffin

...get money for predicting history...

There's nothing wrong with that.

Let's say you have a computer model that purports to model the world climate. You could feed into it all the historical data we have, up to today, and generate predictions for the next 100 years. Then you just need to wait 100 years to test your model.

Alternatively, you could feed all the data into the model except that for the last 100 years, run it, and then compare its 1911 "predictions" to the actual instrument data.

Interesting idea, isn't it? Maybe someone should tell Phil Jones, PhD, about it.

2. Graham Wilson
    Boffin

And...

I hope they also develop a better, more secure, file system that automatically incorporates encryption, authentication and extended file metadata--all of which would be an intrinsic a part of the file, whether it's inside or outside the O/S.

As said, this schema would also include 'transportable/exportable' files--those used for data interchange etc. which leave one O/S environment and eventually end up in another. As such, they would travel with their authentication/encryption etc. fully intact (encoded within its extended metadata etc.).

If file environments, O/Ses etc, were to adopt such a scheme then bogus files would be more easily detected, eliminated and or excluded, hence much improved security.

1. Ru

"authentication/encryption... encoded within its extended metadata"

Sounds an awful lot like the foundation of a DRM system. Without a trusted platform on which to run, it'll get cracked open. In fact, even if it could be run on trusted hardware, it still might not be secure.

Can't trust anything or anyone, you know.

3. jake Silver badge

I don't get it.

You DO have a secure link to your own systems when on the road, right? Extend the favo(u)r to friends & family, to the benefit of all ... How? I'm glad you asked ...

Get three (or four, or five ...) freely available Pentium systems. They should come with enough disk & RAM ... Load any of the freely available OSes on each machine. Install one at home (Sonoma, CA), one at DearOldMum's (Duluth, MN), one at Great Aunt Florie's (Padstow, UK), one at the ubiquitous Uncle Bob's (Christchurch, NZ), and etc ... Hook the machines up to their so-called "broadband" Internet modem.

Install encryption software, and simple scripting to automagically backup user generated code (personal files) at all locations to all other locations on a regular basis.

So-called "cloud" sorted ... without the hype, or the privacy issues. Or the cost.

If you can be arsed, add in FTP, Usenet[1], email, HTTP and other servers over the same encrypted links. It's been working for me since before Flag Day ... although granted, I didn't have the encryption capability right from the git-go ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like