back to article Resellers and customers frustrated by botched Oracle deliveries

Oracle resellers are counting the cost of frequent instances of botched logistics. According to sources at several large dealers, four to six week lead times are unreliable, and deliveries are being made to the wrong addresses by the freight forwarding company. Two months can elapse from the first product arriving and complete …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Linux

Oracle or distie issue?

Surely Avnet and Arrow are holding stock in their warehouses and shipping it out, so they must be in control of the eventual delivery? Or are Oracle using a pull-demand model, with everything being built only on order and then shipped direct to the customer? The latter would lay the blame at Oracle's door (or rather their shipping company), but I seem to recall both IBM and hp using K+N as well for deliveries to us without any issues. I'm not surprised Oracle had fun borging the Sun back office, all system mergers/migrations are fun, but that was over a year ago, surely it should be working by now? Anyone got a quote from K+N?

1. Oninoshiko
      Mushroom

All a bunch of screwups.

I don't know much about Arrow, but AVnet borged another distributor recently (well a year ago or so), and my contact has changed a few times of the last year, frankly I've given up on them. I was eating more in my time then I saved over CDW (for the life of me, I don't understand how either, they should be massively cheaper, as they are a distributor). That said, the line where oracle didn't want them to worry about logistics implies to me that they ARE using a pull demand model.

TBH I can't imagine they could be much worse then SUN.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oracle...

Sun used to build for stock. Oracle are now building to order, which means you're looking at a 6-8 week lead time on servers. By the sound of it, even then, they're struggling to meet that which doesn't help customer experience.

Oracle seem to be doing their best to alienate Sun customers, partially by being much harsher on things like orders and by generally being a pain to deal with. At least, that's what we're seeing.

Posted anonymously just in case...

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        WTF?

RE: Oracle...

"....a 6-8 week lead time....." What, they making the things from raw materials!?!?! That would imply they're not even holding a stock of components at the factory but ordering them from the manufacturers as required. Cheaper for Oracle, not so good for the customers. With them not seeming to hold a stock of components, I wonder if any of their suppliers has been hit by events in Japan?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Devil

from China

KKR made Sun move all chip fab to China and all mfg to the KKR owned Mexico plant.....sounds like they using paddle boats to bring the chips over

3. Allison Park

Oracle is building to order to make more profit

It's all about profit....Larry does not care about customers or partners........get over it or buy from someone else....it's a free country. Good software...horrible hardware

2. David Haig

Is this Oracle kit or Sun kit?

I remember when Oracle used to ship you everything it had. We ordered a simple Oracle NT server installation and along came 5 NT CD's in a big box with lots of the fat bubble wrap, all Oracle documentation (for all products - spatial, OLAP, Textserver,etc) on CD, all the same documentation on paper (3 boxes of god knows how many books), another box of CD's for Solaris - install and documentation (in defence of Oracle, we had a Solaris server as well on our ONS account) and finally another box of Developer CD's and documentation for Solaris & NT which we hadn't asked for at all - but had a lot of fun with as they added it to our ONS account for a year before they realised we weren't paying for it. This all came as one delivery.

In all, 7 (big) boxes for the 2 disks that we needed .....

On the other hand, we had a Sun Ultra 5 with a Nokia 19 inch delivered without keyboard or mouse ( or those nice shiny metal optical mouse mats) and cables. They all came later in different deliveries across a week, with the last delivery being the Sun branded microphone on its own, shipped by DHL from the States - it's still in it's jiffy bag.

By the way, where have the Jobs / Gates icons gone? Who has been applying pressure behind the scenes ... we should be told! If I'm missing something, sorry - my wife has finally managed to 'recycle' my BOFH tee shirt ....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like