back to article Tragedy nurse's boyf fined over medical records abuse

A man who worked for a firm of ambulance-chasers must pay more than £2000 in fines and costs after being convicted of illegally obtaining NHS patients' personal information and using it for commercial gain. Martin Campbell, who was working for the Bury-based personal injuries firm Direct Assist at the time, lifted data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. lIsRT
    Facepalm

Priorities

"He was ordered to pay a £1,050 fine, £1,160 towards prosecution costs, and a £15 victims’ surcharge."

The State gets 47.19%, the lawyers get 52.13%, and the victims (note plural) get 0.67%.

See icon.

1. Anonymous John
      Unhappy

Don't be silly.

The victims' surcharge doesn't go to the victims, but some sort of fund that is supposed to help victims indirectly.

In fact I read somewhere that as fines have to be linked to ability to pay, magistrates were reducing them by £15 and adding the £15 surcharge.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

even more absurd

is that there is a victim surcharge for offences where there is no victim involved

2. Old Tom
    WTF?

Boyf?

'Boyf' wtf?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

s'cuse me while I finish spitting out my teeth

Kill him. kill him NOW - the b4st4rd.

No mercy, no forgiveness - kill him.

Maybe THEN these shitters will start to realise that some things are UNACCEPTABLE.

1. Maxson

On what grounds

On what grounds do you suggest the death sentence?

1. Juillen 1

The grounds

Beneath his chair?

2. Jim Morrow

On what grounds

enhancing the gene pool?

getting rid of a bottom-feeding ambulance chaser who profts from other people's misery?

4. The Metal Cod
    FAIL

Always pursue prosecutions? Really?

"The ICO will always pursue prosecutions where individuals breach both their duty of confidentiality and the Data Protection Act" - but where companies are concerned, the ICO hasn't got the balls to do anything.

5. Joe K
    WTF?

What the FUCK?

The IT info theft pales in comparison to the rest of the story, jesus, just what the hell was going on with that family. Martin also looks like a caring type.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3421026/Why-did-loving-mum-Dawn-Makin-kill-her-daughter-Chloe.html

6. Lloyd
    WTF?

ICO in Actual Prosecution Shock!!!

Would be a far more accurate headline. I'd prefer the article to be more about the fact that the ICO did it's job for once rather than just sitting around watching the world go by ignoring all and sundry whilst they breech the data protection act. Mind you, this case does seem surprisingly simple, maybe it's the only case on their books that they had the mental capacity to bring a successful prosecution for.

7. Peter Galbavy
    FAIL

two things

Why do I keep getting texts about "my accident" then ?

And reading between the lines here, doesn't this just seem like the best the CPS could come up with after failing to prosecute him for any more serious crimes associates with the "family" ?

8. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

"Makin had accessed the relevant records...

"...without any legitimate reason to do so, and the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) was called in."

And the ICO decided to issue him with a firm smack on the wrist and a finger wagging whilst saying "you're a naughty boy, don't do it again!"

FFS how much longer can this bunch of spineless incompetents keep on doing this before our Government realises that the ICO is simply not fit for purpose and replaces them with a Watchdog that has both a set of teeth and the balls to use them?

If our NHS records get uploaded to some form of central database this sort of thing will be going on every bloody day!

1. JaimieV
      FAIL

Makin was the nurse girlfriend

She was sacked and later went psycho, apparently killing her child and attempting suicide. The ICO didn't bother chasing her because she's already well cared for at Her Majesty's pleasure.

They did however take the boyfriend Campbell to court, where he was found guilty.

Do read the article, eh?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As an NHS IT worker

As an NHS IT worker I'm expected to follow all the rules on patient confidentiality, data protection etc etc and I'd be rightly pissed off if my information was passed to scum like this, hence also opting out of the central clinical rwecords project.

The fine is pitiful compared to what the firm would earn, probably about a month's wages for him alone - certainly more than a month for me but that's the public services pay scale for you - he should have been fined a hell of a lot more than that. The damage to the reputation of the NHS as a whole is not reflected in the painfully low fine imposed.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

ICO is a joke

I've recently received a letter from the ICO, five months after I notified them that an NHS Trust was trying to go back on a previous agreement that they'd been involved in, telling me that they're going to assign someone to look at it quite soon.

Thankfully, in the meantime I managed to find a solicitor who got the Trust to back down after threatening them with legal action.

Paris, 'cos she's about as quick and useful.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like