Feeds

back to article Samsung Solid Immerse rugged phone

Phone manufacturers today are all too keen to tell us their phones aren’t really phones at all, they’re handheld computers with oodles of processing power and capability. Sometimes, however, a basic communications device is just what you need, especially if your life might depend on it. Samsung Solid Immerse GT-B2710 Hard talk …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

phone + aquapac = waterproof

Any phone + aquapac = waterproof

Now if this ran on Maemo/Meego ... well then :)

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

B2100

Same case, slightly fewer features, but RUGGED!!!! I have dropped and THROWN mine, and it is still going strong, the case didnt pop off either.

Battery does last forever.

Only difference I can see between the new phone and the B series is the charger port.

dvd

My Samsung Solid Extreme

... which looks exactly like this has been through the washing machine cycle a few times to no ill effects. It's a tough little bugger.

Go

I think it's a great phone!

I have this and the nexus one.. For usual "office / home" life the nexus is my first choice, but if I'm going away for the weekend or doing something outdoorsy then my SIM goes into the Samsung and I'm happy it can take a bashing and I don't have to care about getting wet, battery life etc etc. It can read email at a stretch, but it's nice to get away from those things every now and then.

In fact... this last weekend I had this phone for "outdoors" and in the backpack the moto xoom and it was a winning combo ... I wonder if that kind of "hardy" phone + more tech tablet combo may catch on ?

But for the camera

This looks aok, pretty much just what I need, except that it has only a 2mp camera. Are there any decent camera'd rugged phones around other than the Motorola Defy, which is a tad too smartphone for my needs?

I think I'll be getting a Defy

As an outdoorsy, horsey, walking-and-riding-around-on-Northumberland-hills-and-beaches, sort of bloke, I've had nearly a decade's service from my once-immortal Nokia 1100, which is now starting to lose call clarity. However, if I was to trade up from it, I'd need to... well... trade up, you know? This is a bit like an expensive Nokia 1100 with a colour screen and an embarrassment of a camera?

No, I think Mr Motorola is going to be getting my money.

Pint

Thank God for the Defy

I think Motorola makes you compromise a lot less to be rugged and waterproof.

I bought a Defy for my wife after her last phone ran full of water while in her pocket during a Taifoon...

However, its Battery life can't compete with this one.

Flashlight and compass is great though... and the Defy beats my iPhone. smaller case, less weight, bigger screen :)

Silver badge
Unhappy

Washing machine

"whether it would survive a bout with washing machine is another matter"

Shame on you! You should have tried it out!

(Can't think why it wouldn't. 40C isn't too hot. G-force of spin isn't high compared to dropping it on a hard floor. Water pressure is only a few inches. Comes down to whether it can resist soapy water compared to dirty water. Would be unimpressed if it failed).

This topic is closed for new posts.