back to article Boffins grow brains in petri dish

For a chunk of the 20th century, SF writers played around with various “brain in a jar” scenarios, and now, it’s come true. Well, only a little bit: it’s not a complete brain, and it’s a petri dish rather than a jar, but according to University of Pittsburgh researchers, they’ve managed to culture rat hippocampus cells, complete …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Coat

Zombies will be happy

BRAAAAAINS

there I said it

Silver badge
Facepalm

New icon time already?

So we've only just had a icon update, yet this makes me think a brain in a jar icon may have been nice.

Yag
Terminator

I, For one...

... welcome our new Brain-in-a-petri-dish overlords.

Joke

12 seconds?

Thats a lot longer than the tools I work with.....Can we buy these and get them implanted in people?

Bronze badge
Stop

wait ...

You mean I'm supposed to have a Facebook page AND a brain ?

Explains where Nu Labour got theirs

etc etc etc

Gold badge
Happy

Brain in jar icon.

Nice idea.

What's it mean?

Coffee/keyboard

@12 seconds?

Keyboard!!

Silver badge

ROTM

This is how sentience starts you know...

Happy

Give 'em human rights and the vote...

Then make millions of the things, send 'em to work and impose income tax on them. Bingo! Instant economic recovery! In a test tube!

Facepalm

Alternative

Or you could have the brains from Australian politicians, they aren't using them at the moment.

Terminator

How long

I just wonder how long before they start to create brains that think in the way they want you to think. A new form of eugenics.

I wouldn't worry.

The only thing a cultured brain-in-a-dish is likely to think is, "AAAAAHHH! OH MY GOD! I'M A BLOODY BRAIN IN A DISH!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!"

Bronze badge
Childcatcher

Yes, but

Given its 12-second lifespan, it is likely to have a second thought. Then it really is time to worry.

Boffin

Oh joy ...

They've just created the next generation of recruitment/HR consultants.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

"Let me die... please, let me die...!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYebuwQ8RPw

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums