back to article Bloke drives with knees while manipulating two mobes

A Norfolk man is potentially facing "six points on his licence and thousands of pounds in fines" after cops nabbed him allegedly driving with his knees while manipulating two mobile phones. The unnamed 34-year-old driver was clocked earlier this month on a 70mph stretch of the A47 near Norwich during a two-week clampdown on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. amanfromearth

.. Vauxhall Tigra ..

Easy catch for the rozzers.. that model car is only every driven by total knobs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

title

I think you might have offended two owners.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Tigra CC?

My wife likes hers. Cheap to run, fun, and I've even been known to drive it with the roof down on sunny weekends away. OK, it's no Ferrari, but I wouldn't get one of them in my garage anyway.

1. chr0m4t1c

Not likely

As he was uninsured it's probably the original hard-top version rather than the newer CC.

People who can't afford insurance can't usually afford a decent car either.

Something tells me that the next time he's caught he'll be on two mobiles with no insurance, no tax, no MOT and in the middle of a driving ban.

I'm sure I didn't used to be so jaded.

2. LPF

Jesus crhist

Just ban him from driving period, what an a*se

1. tas
      WTF?

I can see why the Germans get upset ...

<quote>A Norfolk Police spokesman said: "Driving while using a mobile phone means you are not concentrating fully on the road. Using one mobile phone is silly but two mobile phones is amazingly silly."</quote>

The English are known for their art of understating instead of saying things directly, especially the worse the event (*), but that astonishing statement from an authority is borderline misleading!

(*) A famous, but at least humorous example: British Airways pilot Eric Moody in 1982, after flying through a cloud of volcanic ash over Indonesia:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Mushroom

A quote so famous...

... you may even have heard of it before cutting and pasting it from the BBC website, who mentioned it yesterday in the day's most popular news article.

2. ravenviz Silver badge

Not just the English

"Houston, we have a problem"

2. Paul_Murphy

Ban him from the gene pool more like.

See title.

What a cretin - just be glad that he wasn't using a smartphone, he may have been watching a video as well!

ttfn

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

NFN

Normal For Norfolk

3. ColonelClaw
      Thumb Up

+1

Couldn't agree more - as a motorcyclist and push-bike cyclist this kind of behavior scares the shit out of me.

Ban the bastard for life.

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

Life ban

Should be banned from driving for life. Even if he had killed someone he probably would have been allowed to drive again at some point.

When are people going to realise that owning and driving a motor vehicle is a privilege not a right? a licence comes with conditions that you obey the law.

Thousands are killed on the roads every year and it isn't acceptable. Sure, the accident numbers have been falling for years but try telling that to someone who has just lost their partner or kids.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Make the punishment fit the crime

Someone who drives while uninsured may not take much notice of being banned.

<Draconian>

Handcuffing him to the steering wheel for a month might make him think about what his hands should do in a car.

(No toilet breaks, no sleep breaks, just 31 days in a car with enough water to make sure he doesn't

die of thirst.)

</Draconian>

1. Alex Walsh

telephone call

The Daily Mail called, they'd like to offer you a job as a columnist.

2. Paul_Murphy

Good idea.

Though why should the steering wheel be attached to a car? he's already proven that he shouldn't be allowed in one until he learns otherwise.

Hmm - remember the Star Trek exploding collars? maybe something like that but tuned to the steering wheel so that two hands must be on it - one hand can be off the wheel for up to, say 10 secs?, after that though it's headache time.

ttfn

(the above is the sort of thinking that means I should never be allowed to make laws)

2. Andus McCoatover
      Mushroom

owning and driving a motor vehicle is a privilege not a right

Yes. Agree.

Also agree that the power of any government to impose laws is a privilege conveyed on that government by the electorate, not a God-given divine right to those we place in power.

Certain large English-speaking powers could do well to remember.

(Before the flood of downvotes, it wouldn't need a law for this arsewipe to meet my baseball bat)

4. Paul_Murphy

He's lucky he wasn't charged with attempted murder.

Or going equipped to kill.

This sort of behaviour just shouldn't be tolerated - just as drinking and then driving should be treated far more harshly.

The driver has a choice - the victim(s) don't.

ttfn

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

RE: Paul_Murphy

"The driver has a choice - the victim(s) don't."

Yes they do, everyone has a choice. They could choose not to walk on the dual carriageway 70mph section of the A47. If in a car they could choose to leave sufficient space to allow them to avoid another car. Similarly, all the fuss about speeding near schools could be eliminated if parents taught their children to cross at the lights only when the green man shows.

I'm sick of people moaning about the dangers on roads take some responsibility for your own safety for a change. If a car is out of control going too fast and runs a child over on a pavement then the driver should of course be punished. If the driver is going in a straight line on a straight road with no pedestrians in sight then leave him the hell alone. If the car behind is too close to stop in an emergency then THEY should be punished. If a child runs into the road on a dual carriageway I WILL SUE THEM for damages to my car, assuming they survive, otherwise I will sue the parents!!

1. Tony S

But..

Under the law, pedestrians have the right of way on all roads except motorways. So if you hit a child on a dual carriageway, then there is a high chance that you are probably going to be found at fault.

From your comment, I am going to presume that you have no children. But I wonder how you would react if it was a child of yours that were to be injured on the road? Would you still feel that the driver was not at fault? (I suspect not)

As it happens, I once had to watch as the driver of a van knocked down a mother and child crossing the road. I was subsequently called as a witness - he was doing over 60mph in a 40 mph zone, and overtaking on the brow of a hill, which left him on the wrong side of the road as well. I had to provide first aid for the 2 pedestrians - not a pretty sight.

BTW, just noticed the new icons (OK I've been busy) Quite like them.

1. Dom 1

Err..

I think you will find (according to the Road Traffic Act) that pedestrians do NOT have right of way on roads (only on pavements). Think of the chaos caused if pedestrians where allowed to roam like sheep on a major dual carriageway?

BUT, the area of the zig-zag lines at a pedestrian crossing, is defined by the Road Traffic Act as a "Pedestrian controlled zone" - ie: if you hit a pedestrian within the zig-zags it's your fault.

The UK does have a jaywalking offence, but it is seldom used. UK law, however, is very biased towards the pedestrian - even if the pedestrian is found to be the cause of an accident.

Teaching kids (and some adults) to USE crossings and only walk when the green man shows is sensible. Everyone (pedestrians and drivers) should take responsibility for their actions.

As for the idiot driving uninsured and using 2 mobiles whilst driving? Lock him up and throw away the key.

1. Tony S

Road Traffic Act

There are numerous Road Traffic Acts (1920 which resulted in the Road Fund Licence, 1930 the introduction of driving offences and a requirement for 3rd party insurance, 1934 which resulted in driving tests and a reintroduction of speed limits etc etc.)

None of these state that pedestrians do not have right of way - however, the Highway Code (which is confirmed by the various Road Traffic Acts) does indicate that pedestrians should use crossings when they are available although they do have right of way (except on motorways).

"Jaywalking" as an offence is specific to motorways and refers to the crossing of the motorway, not walking along the hard shoulder; although it is still an offence. We don't tend to use that phrase in this country. You can be can be held responsible for "blocking the highway" or more likely for causing "an obstruction" or a "public nuisance".

And for reference, I agree that the idiot that was driving uninsured whilst using phones should face the maximum penalty under the law with no reduction of sentence

1. chr0m4t1c

@Tony S

"None of these state that pedestrians do not have right of way - however, the Highway Code (which is confirmed by the various Road Traffic Acts) does indicate that pedestrians should use crossings when they are available although they do have right of way (except on motorways)."

I can only find Rule 170 (formerly Rule 108) saying that pedestrians have right of way if they have begun to cross a road that you turn in to, everywhere else it basically says "be aware of pedestrians because they might walk out in front of you and if you hit them you might kill them".

I can't find anything that says they have right of way (or "priority"), so can you point at a specific rule or rules?

Or are you getting mixed up with the French adopting the "priorité piéton" (priority to pedestrians) rule on the 1st January this year?

I ask as I drive a lot and I don't usually miss a change in the law as significant as that, so I do really want to read the appropriate documents to make sure I understand them and make any necessary changes to my driving.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He's lucky he wasn't charged with attempted murder

Surely it should be attempted manslaughter... Oh wait.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

I see the problem.

He should have used his dictaphone.....

1. koncordski
      Coat

But is anyone surprised?

NFN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_for_Norfolk

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

meaning of NFN

a bit strange, odd, even backward - but not this sort of idiocy.

2. Platelet

@koncordski: But is Anyone Suprised?

Yes, The fact that they know what a mobile phone is in Norfolk suprised me

2. Roger Varley

I see the problem.

That would've had him up for indecent exposure as well ...

6. lglethal Silver badge
    FAIL

Ive never understood...

Ive never understood how someone can think its a good idea to text whilst driving! I mean a phone ok, it distracts your concentration but you can keep your eyes on the road the whole time, but with texting, you spend half your time looking down at the keyboard on your phone! How can anyone think thats a good idea!

1. AndrueC Silver badge

Never underestimate

..human stupidity.

7. Graham Bartlett
    Joke

Bring out your dead jokes! Bring out your dead jokes!

What do you call a man driving with a phone in each hand?

Clever dick.

8. Diziet Sma
    Stop

I hope...

... a custodial sentence beckons but likely not.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not taken seriously

The number of people you see with a phone to their ear whilst driving for whom driving is their livelihood, i.e. lorry and van drivers, suggests the law is not taken seriously by drivers or the police.

If being caught with a phone to your ear guaranteed a 1 Year+ ban perhaps would see the number of these selfish twats fall.

My boss is still not convinced that driving on the phone represents a danger. I've never received a call that was so critical it needs dealing with now rather than when I can pull in somewhere in the next couple of minutes. It is just selfishness.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Not taken seriously

It isn't taken seriously by the police, a week after I was fined £60 and got 3 points for texting in a crawling traffic jam, I saw a lady officer speeding down a 40 zone dual carriageway in a police transit van, ON THE PHONE!! One rule, etc.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Flip side

bloody impressive display of multi-tasking and co-ordination I say.

Now if he could only have applied those skills in an exercise which didn't involve a [very high] risk of mowing anyone down...

11. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Facepalm

If he had plastered himself against a wall

he would be clear Darwin Award material. Room temperature IQ apparently.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Ban him!

As I was peacefully driving to the office this morning suddenly another Tigra driver pulled over to my lane an I nearly hit his rear end with my BMW. Stupid guy! I cut my left cheek with the razor and dropped the mobile in the coffee which was safely placed between my legs - the spilled coffee almost boiled my private parts and both the mobile and trousers are ruined! While attempting to break the fondleslab fell of my leg and slided under the mat so I couldn't check the rest of Franfurt market data. At least I kept my sandwich firmly in my right hand.

How the heck are you supposed to survive when such mindless Tigra drivers are constantly trying to kill you?!

1. JeepBoy

Curlers

Years ago I saw one of those small column 8 stories in my newspaper... Can't remember it verbatim now, but it was along the lines of:

"Police have been unable to trace the lady motorist, reported by several other drivers, who was using curling tongs while driving in the fast lane of the M4 yesterday morning."

Now that's scary!

Not in the same league, but I've certainly seen women applying make-up whilst driving along at some speed. I'm guessing they were also steering with their knees. They didn't see me as they'd adjusted the rear-view mirror to apply the mascara!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

Brilliant!

Now I need a new key board.

That was much better that the original article.

Poor users who can't read the comments.

13. Lunatik
    Coat

Title? We don't need no steenkin' titles!

Fine? Ban?

I say give the guy a job as an air traffic controller or fighter pilot! If he can juggle that much data and controls in real time then he must be pretty much a Tigra-driving Neo.

1. hplasm
      Meh

How about

cruise missile pilot?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And using a police radio whilst driving is...

Absolutely fine apparently.

Not to mention all manner of other electronic equipment that I have seen plod fiddling with

1. Lamont Cranston

They get to run red lights, too,

and flout the speed limit.

Honestly, it makes me sick.

2. Subliteratus
      WTF?

Oh dear, feeding the troll...

"And using a police radio whilst driving is... Absolutely fine apparently. Not to mention all manner of other electronic equipment that I have seen plod fiddling with"

Get a grip. The difference is NECESSITY. The Police are emergency responders - they need to able to take a call / fiddle with the buttons / drive over the limit because someone's life may depend on it. They also get a shedload more training in driving a car than Joe Muppet.

I have my own issues with the police overstepping their authority and getting away with offenses that see anyone else spending a significant stay in chokey but your comment is ludicrous.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not just the police.

All PTT comms are allowed whilst driving. I think the difference is the lack of requirement for immediate response. Also, the police tend to have a ptt button behind their indicator stalk, so it's a lot easier to press than holding a phone to your ear.

15. Eponymous Cowherd
    Unhappy

What a dickhead....

Surely, if you are driving an illegal vehicle you will be wanting to attract as little attention as possible, but no, this fucktard, and most others of his uninsured ilk, seem to do as much as they can to get the rozzers to notice them.

Banning him is pointless. He's already happy to drive like a prat, without insurance and, possibly without tax or MOT. He'll quite likely be prepared to get behind the wheel without a licence as well.

About the only way you can prevent arses like this getting behind the wheel is to physically prevent them. Currently this is limited to jail time, but I favour a more "surgical" approach.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Insurance, tax & MOT

No possibly about it - without a valid insurance certificate *and* MOT cert, he won't have a tax disc.

My musing on the DVLA bureaucrat 's wet dream:

- No Tax disc without insurance

- No insurance without MOT

- No MOT without Tax disc

1. ravenviz Silver badge

Re: Insurance, tax & MOT

I don't think you need a valid tax disc to get an MoT test certificate.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Down

@ ravenviz

Did you miss the bit where I was musing? I *know* you don't need a tax disc to get an MoT.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
            Happy

Re: @ravenviz

Musings accepted! :-D

That wasn't my downvote by the way!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like