Feeds

back to article Steve Ballmer window-dresses Windows 8

Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer confirmed yesterday that the company's "next generation of Windows systems" will be released in 2012. Interestingly, Ballmer also acknowledged the Windows 8 name, which up to now has been batted aside by Microsoft flacks, who have been keen to keep details about Redmond's next OS off the news agenda …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Gates Horns

Ha!

Too soon after Win 7...

Gates Horns

Too Soon indeed

Definitely too soon, most large businesses are still on XP (well, current and last couple of contracts still are).

Silver badge
WTF?

You trust a chair throwing tosser like that

"We've added touch, and ink, and speech"

Weren't they already "Added" in 2007 when they developed "Surface".

What is is about Ballmer that just makes you want to hate him, is it the pot belly, the smarmy look.

At least Bill looked like a nerd/geek, Ballmer just looks like a fat, extremley wealthy, untrustworthy, chair throwing piece of nothing.

If I owned my own company I am quite sure I would not be using that guy to present my products.

Now all those bad feeling have left my system I will get back to installing our new tape drive.

FAIL

Nothing new then...

"touch, and ink, and speech" - didn't they have touch and ink in Windows XP Tablet Edition? And even before that in Windows (3.1) for Pen Computing? And speech (presumably recognition rather than synthesis...) is hardly bleeding-edge technology now is it?

Yet another pointless GUI redesign and no doubt more power-consuming gratuitous eyecandy - is that the best they can do?

Silver badge
Coat

"chair throwing tosser"

Would that not be simply "chair tosser"

I'll get me coat

Anonymous Coward

Obviously it's...

"What is is about Ballmer that just makes you want to hate him, is it the pot belly, the smarmy look."

Given that I like big bellied men, it's obviously...

Silver badge
Coat

chair [throwing] tosser

Brit slang does have a propensity for being inadvertently redundant...

Gates Horns

Re: "chair throwing tosser"

Or chair-tossing tosser. Or just tosser, perhaps.

Paris Hilton

Windows 8

Will Microsoft this time make Windows 8 Windows v8.0 ? Will they avoid the embarrassing debacle of Windows 7 being Windows v6.1 ?

Stop

Embarrassing?

Not sure about that. The only people who cared were those who would look for any excuse to poke fun at Microsoft. I'm no MS apologist, but there are surely bigger fish to fry than "OMG teh version number does not equal teh product namez !!!!!1111ELEVENTYONE!!11"

Just saying.

Silver badge

Nah, it'll be V7

You're forgetting, this is Windows, where on a 64 bit release, all the 64 bit DLLs sit in System32, and the 32 bit DLLs sit in a folder called WOW64...

Silver badge
Pint

Ahh, yes

A delightful clusterfuck.

Beer, because you'll need a few trying to understand what they were thinking

Boffin

Alas no...

The beta releases of Windows 8 so far have had a version number of 6.2.x, apparently.

Jobs Halo

Windows 6.1

The reason Windows 7 is 6.1 and Windows 8 is likely to be 6.2 is because of stupid software vendors who naively check for the presence of Windows XP. They did something like this:

if (version >= 5 && subversion >= 1)

This is false for W2k (5.0), true for XP (5.1), false for Vista (6.0), and true for Win7 (6.1). If Win7 was 7.0, it would have been false for Win7.

This was discussed on the Windows Team blog, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make links in El Reg's comments.

Paris Hilton

One word

Utter Rubbish!

kernel version

They went with 6.1 instead of 7 as a lot of software that would otherwise be compatible with Windows 7 would have refused to install on a major version increase of the Kernel, i.e. it was written to check for the presence of NT6.x and not install on anything higher.

Silver badge
Gates Horns

Title?

Leave it to Microsoft to put in a V7 engine and call it a V8...

Anonymous Coward

@AC 14:32

Technically that's 2 words. Plus an exclaimation mark.

</pedant>

Well...

Conceivably, you could just paste the URL there.

Go

...but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make links in El Reg's comments...

I know what you mean. I tried using a friend's phone the other day - well, he called it a phone, but I couldn't find any way of checking how many Facebook friends I have. I tried to tweet about it, but it didn't seem to understand that, either. Finally I looked in what it called "Games", and, guess what? No Angry Birds.

Why is it that so many so-called Interweb companies don't understand the basic needs of the user? Sure, Powerlord could have used "copy" and "paste" commands, but you need to mouseclick "Edit", then "Copy", then "Edit", then "Paste" (difficult now that browsers hide the Menu bar), and the user then has to do the opposite.

So come on, El Reg - stop denying us basic functionality and allow us to use embedded javascript so that readers don't need to do anything at all to upvote my posts.

Thumb Down

Hoist on one's own pedantry?

Nice to see Bell's First Law (aka Skitts, Muphry's etc.) still proving true. In standard English orthography, I believe that there is normally only one "i" in exclamation.

Bronze badge

oh dear

two words, surely?

Thumb Up

@nyelvmark

That was the funniest thing I have ever read. I appoint you king of the world.

Silver badge
Boffin

Like so:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/1073197

There's a hash mark to the right of the comment title. It's a link for that comment.

Facepalm

@stuartnz

Doh!!

I stand corrected.

Silver badge
Pint

Just enough wiggle room

There's just enough wiggle room in between those statements to squeeze in a W7 SP1 in 2012, and for the "Windows 8" you "hear about" to be the usual babbling of the bloggerati and the real thing to both called something else and not arrive until 2015. It's a tight fit, but it's there - and it's the kind of misdirection he revels in. That would mean that Nokia is sunk.

But by all means let's remind everybody that the work they're pouring into a W7 rollout has planned obsolescence built right in. Again. The train to crazytown doesn't have a destination: it just goes around and around and around. The crazytown part is that the passengers can ride it forever believing that one day they'll arrive somewhere wonderful.

Paris Hilton

SP1 in 2012?

SP1 came out previously this year.....

Silver badge

W7 SP1

You know that's already out, right?

Silver badge
FAIL

*facepalm*

Win7 SP1 is already out, but please, continue to be a smug knob-end on Internet message boards. It might get you laid one day.

Thumb Down

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Yeah, everyone should just move to Linux as that never has any new versions coming out. Oh, hang on.

Silver badge
Troll

*You* can of course-

Personally vouch for this?

E 2

Linux versions

Well the kernel has been on 2.6.x for years now.

Not that I think that's a good or bad thing, just saying.

Grenade

I can't wait

Bring it on. I don't care if you love or hate M$ or Apple or Linux (what ever flavor). The more choices we will have in the tablet space the better. And if we can finally have a tablet that will run corporate applications and activeX, fantastic.

Before bagging M$, wait for the OS to come out, it may be real good... who knows.

Anonymous Coward

Eh?

> activeX

Er, what now? Seriously?

Anonymous Coward

Quite.

The only active-x based corporate application I can think of sharepoint, and it's an utter bucket of shit.

Doesn't really help that it's overused to the point that most of the time a samba share would suffice.

Parse error near "fantastic"

Might be that "will run corporate applications and activeX" part.

Wouldn't it instead nicer if most or all of the "industry standard" corporate tumorware that haunts the desktop Windows ecosystem and compels Microsoft to do terrible deeds in the name of backward-compatiblity had to start from scratch on tablets and the like and take just as long to get as awful as their desktop relatives.

This is a market that is growing explosively with or without "corporate applications and active X", so it's not like failure to support the stuff will do it any serious harm. Hence, there's a fine opportunity here for cruft prevention in a relatively new and unsoiled market. And to hell with anybody who wants Lotus Notes on a Windows 8 tablet.

FAIL

Seriously....

M$ - You mean some people still use that, kind of like those people who use crApple or Linsux. Do let me know when you arrive back in 2011.

E 2

ActiveX

Look under the hood of most MS products - much of what you see will be implemented with COM/DCOM/ActiveX interfaces. Really.

Gates Horns

Ooooohh.

I simply can't wait. I hope there will be "A new way to view photographs," like the last five releases of Windows. And I'm looking forward to at least another sixty-seven new options in Control Panel, as it currently looks a little sparse.

Let's hope the speech recognition is better than the one they tried to demonstrate in Office...

FIA

re: Ooooohh

> I hope there will be "A new way to view photographs,"

TBH I'd just be happy if I could rotate them without overwriting the original.

Silver badge
Linux

Re: Ooooohh

I'm waiting for them to over-simplify everything so that all the options I want to access are buried deeper and deeper in the system. Finding the IP address on XP used to be a 3-click process involving one window pane. On Vista and 7 this is now several more clicks and 3 effing windows. I know I could use cmd but that's not the point.

JPO
Happy

Definitely not too hard

It's four clicks and 2 seconds in W7

- Click network icon in task bar

- Right click the network you use and choose Status

- Click Details

Voila! All IP-information and lots more.

Too hard?

"i know I could use cmd but that's not the point"

You use a Tux icon and claim command line use to be beside the point...? I'm confused.

Bronze badge

ermmm

Unless I'm missing something, I think your wrong.

- Click network icon in task bar (check)

- Right click the network you use and choose Status

(there are only two things that are clickable, one is the refresh button, the other is the open network and sharing centre, neither of which are right clickable)

Gold badge
Coat

"We've added touch, and ink, and speech."

I regularly do something that uses a UI like that.

It's called "reading aloud from a book".

surface

I would love it if microsoft actually managed to release something as awesome as surface for tablets but at a much more reasonable price.

Silver badge
Coat

So now Ballmer too

Has Windows H8?

FAIL

Joke?

Seriously? That was an attempt at a joke!?!?!

Silver badge
Joke

Joke

Has this icon.

prat.

Mushroom

Re: Joke

You're obviously too young to remember The Fast Show and/or have been tittering away at Little Britards, erm, Britain thinking that television comedy must be a recent invention. Sheesh!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.