Love it or loathe it, Apple's iOS App Store is a roaring success – so much so that its App Store Police have just approved their 500,000th app. This startling stat comes from the app-watchers at 148Apps, who are quick to point out that there are not a half-million apps in the App Store, rather that there have been that many apps …
App count doesn't matter at all
What matters though is competition among apps and one has to say there is quite a bit of that in the Apple app store. Having one app for a certain task is one thing but having half a dozen or more with every one of them trying to be a bit better and a bit prettier and a bit cheaper than the others is another thing.
I would really like to see something like that coming together for Android/Honeycomb tablets. Looks still very bland there, sadly.
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Bugger the jetpack, where's my 21st-century Psion?
- Windows 8.1 Update 1 spewed online a MONTH early – by Microsoft
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? Why can’t I walk past Maplin without buying stuff I don’t need?
- Review 'Mommy got me an UltraVibe Pleasure 2000 for Xmas!' South Park: Stick of Truth