Love it or loathe it, Apple's iOS App Store is a roaring success – so much so that its App Store Police have just approved their 500,000th app. This startling stat comes from the app-watchers at 148Apps, who are quick to point out that there are not a half-million apps in the App Store, rather that there have been that many apps …
App count doesn't matter at all
What matters though is competition among apps and one has to say there is quite a bit of that in the Apple app store. Having one app for a certain task is one thing but having half a dozen or more with every one of them trying to be a bit better and a bit prettier and a bit cheaper than the others is another thing.
I would really like to see something like that coming together for Android/Honeycomb tablets. Looks still very bland there, sadly.
- Review Is it an iPad? Is it a MacBook Air? No, it's a Surface Pro 3
- Game Theory The agony and ecstasy of SteamOS: WHERE ARE MY GAMES?
- Hello, police, El Reg here. Are we a bunch of terrorists now?
- Kate Bush: Don't make me HAVE CONTACT with your iPHONE
- Worstall on Wednesday Wall Street woes: Oh noes, tech titans aren't using bankers