Feeds

back to article BOFH: Attack of the Global Corporate Overlords

"There's going to be a takeover!" the PFY gasps, crashing into Mission Control. "I thought you saw them off the premises," I reply, "although quite what you sawed off you never made clear. Thanks for that." "No, the company – it's being taken over!" "Really? Says who?" "Says everyone. It's all over the building!" …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Coffee/keyboard

New keyboard please!

Lotus fucking Notes!!! Just love this, does anyone use this for real? Mind you the last I heard was that IBM consultants still used it.

Silver badge

Yes, people use it.

We were recently take over by a large, US-based multinational. They use Notes, we use Exhange. We have been fighting since the takeover NOT to use the damn thing, and even harder since our Exchange licenses came up for renewal. Much as I hate MS, anything is better than Notes!

Lotus Notes...

Oh yeh its still used and its absolute pants....A Certain Smug Consultancy use it....

Silver badge
Pint

@Cow Parsley

"A Certain Smug Consultancy use it...."

Although I'm sure you're hinting at one in specific, to be honest that could apply to all of them. Though the smugness should probably disappear if they're forced to use LN.

Anonymous Coward

Lotus f'ing notes

Yep, we use it here, it is pants, but still better than outlook. Humph, I realy miss kmail.

Grenade

Lotus F***** Notes!

I hope our lovely central IT services read that. We got Notes foisted on us and as we dont have anything like a BOFH in central IT they accepted it. Three years latter they are doing a "fast track" review of the failures of the current mail and calendering system. If they give me the 250 grand they are coughing up for this review Ill tell em where the problem lies.

Pint

More frequent than you know

A certain large American university with an international presence is using Notes (at least some of their staff is) until this evening when they finally migrate to a modern solution.

Lotus Fucking Notes

3 million users.

Not one of them by choice.

Gold badge

On the upside..

.. you have absolutes that Outlook cannot produce. The reasons banks don't like the Redmond solution is not MS hate, it's because LN produces pretty solid message security and integrity. As security still appears to be a feature that you will only ever find at MS in a Powerpoint sales slide pack I can understand the hesitance.

I'd much rather move straight to a groupware solution and skip the fight with Exchange :-)

Anonymous Coward

What wrong with Notes?

It ain't all that bad! #brainwashed

Anonymous Coward

Fred Flintstone, you are correct...

... And the fact that malware doesn't execute in a preview screen like it would in a well-crafted Outlook message.

:-)

Anonymous Coward

Sounds familier

Taken over by 'merkins - check

Fucking Lotus Notes - check

Taking weeks for them to do something we used to fix im minutes - check

FAIL

Re: @Cow Parsley

Certain Smug Consultancy: CSC... Jeez

The company formerley known as...

Norwich-k**king Union.

Bloatus Goats all over the place...

Devil

We actually use Lotus fucking notes....

With a CRM package and project management package custom built add ons.

We also created an NCR system based on notes which works.

I hate administering it, especially local password changes and if the client gets in a mess...... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrhsdufjdshfid

Anonymous Coward

Notes

Still in use by Warwickshire County Council... for the time being. We're due to migrate to Outlook at some point in future, probably after the WinXP/Off2k3/IE7 --> Win7/Off2010/IE8 upgrade. The email bits of Notes are horrendous, but we have hundreds of custom Notes databases (including 1,000+ user guidance documents on CareFirst) which will somehow need to be migrated to an alternative solution (probably SharePoint, which runs our intranet) before Notes can be switched off. Oh, and despite undergoing a huge redesign, apparently our website is still powered by Domino...

Pint

You are made...

...of WIN! Seriously, best in ages, well done!

Silver badge
Coat

The PFY really wanted to have

a remove cattle prod app in this episode, didn't he.

Signalling "kill them all" in Morse code with your facial tick is brilliant, just brilliant, must work on that!

Mine's the one with the Morse code manual in the pocket

Gold badge
Thumb Up

Don't need a manual - at your service!

Kill them all = -.- .. .-.. .-.. - .... . -- .- .-.. .-..

That's a shockingly complex tic to develop :-)

Bronze badge
Go

For tic-practitioners with no Morse manual:

-.- .. .-.. .-.. / - .... . -- / .- .-.. .-..

Hmm. The post is required, and must contain letters. It *does* contain letters, just not ASCII ones!

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Thanks, I needed that!

see title

Bronze badge
Grenade

Tick?

Not really. I know a gent in particular who has that tick. :)

FAIL

@cosymart

Yes, at least 2 very large financial institutions use Notes for real.

Unhappy

Epic

Unfortunately, all-too-familiar for many of the people reading this I would wager, myself included..

Right now I'm completing the submission of half-year performance reviews for my staff under pain of death. Yes, I'm judging their performance from 1st Jan until 30th Jun. I'm using clairvoyance to divine how they'll perform during the last 20% of that period - probably pretty badly if they figure out its meaningless...

Anonymous Coward

End of year reviews

We used to do end of year reviews in sept/Oct.

Anonymous Coward

You're missing the real reason for reviews

A performance review is generally an excuse to deny people the bonuses they have been promised, so don't feel too bad - it doesn't matter much what you write. The layer above you is doing exactly the same to ensure enough funds are preserved for the people at the very top - who need this "economy" to preserve their habitual massive payouts.

In general, I have found HR departments generally exist to get people in on false promises, and boot them out as soon as they grow wise to it by means of bad reviews to save on redundancy payments.

In short, such reviews ARE meaningless - just not in the way you seem to think..

(yes, I'm in cynic mode - I really need a beer)

Bronze badge

Meaningless

It's meaningless. Good luck with that.

Unhappy

must contain letters ..

But you for got to say that their goals were probably only signed off in late March! That's how it works here! :(

Anonymous Coward

I cried a little at the memory...

I started my career programming databases for lotus notes :'-(

Thank god I put that behind me.

Pint

Nice

Best in a very long time that! Brilliant :)

Bronze badge

the PFY

How longs the PFY been a 'youth' for now?

how long's the PFY ...

Anyone twentyfive years younger than you is a child and always will be.

Anonymous Coward

Too true

An excellent episode!

Many of us can relate to takeovers by certain multinationals.

Jumping through hoops to meet their standards.

Only the 20% rises were chicken feed when you were stuck on a pre-recession payfreeze for several years.

Lotus Notes. What a disaster they made migrate to.

How I missed the pre-takeover exchange server, which I co-erced our own old BOFH to open up IMAP so I could run Thunderbird on my Linux desktop.

Thems the days!

Happy

" the FatCock software.."

sniggers

Thumb Up

then falls about

imagining derring duo perbzzztsuading the Boss and Board of the wisdom of " their " painful decision to decline the merger.

Anonymous Coward

Lotus Notes

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how all Lotus Notes developers/administrators I have ever met have ginger hair and goatee beards, even the women...

AC for obvious reasons...

Go

Lotus Notes

Hehe dirty blond with a full 5 o'clock shadow here (5 o'clock Tuesday, last month). Been loving Lotus Notes for 12+ years. Knocks the pants off Outlook/Exchange/whatever else MS needs included ever since they first started trying to compete, don't even mention PainPoint hahaha, just too bad so many people can't see past MS marketing. I have years of mail available, instantly full text searchable, been through so many client / server upgrades with no problems. But who cares about mail, it's the apps, full local replicas available for working offline, such great built in security you hardly have to think about it, runs on almost any OS. Swap out SBS for Foundations and live happily ever after. Sametime vs whatever they eventually turn Skype into. Stop hating haters and take a closer look!!

Sad to see Simon take a cheap shot, but great episode anyway :-)

Pint

a1

biggest problem with LN is the outlook muppets who cock up the admin side of Domino servers.

And of course the useless idiots who'd upgrade anything mikysoft says; but leaves the entire international company on LN 6.5 . Nor will they give training; nor will they use teamrooms - who the hell needs all those micky mouse shares and other strange OS level stuff.

Outlook - years behind; ln 6.5 is still better than whatever patch/release of the worlds best selling virus company has forced everyone to upgrade to.

No - I don't work in that line at all; nor for Lotus (but I did work for IBM back in the 90s - and we could simultaneously work on the same document from different offices/hotels).

Happy

"No, the training's on how it's not permitted."

Been there, seen it, done it, bought the T-shirt.

The scene: A boardroom in California. Said boardroom is of the large, airy variety and contains a selection of hideously expensive leather chairs and a mahogany table large enough to account for Indonesian deforestation.

The time: Only a few months after that incident when some nosey woman in California struck lucky and successfully sued her employers for a shitload of wonga. The grounds being that she was offended by a naughty joke she overheard someone telling to someone else.

The Actors: Me, another Brit working there as an expat and a load of Yanks.

Me: <Some technical question>

Yank #1: "We need <so-and-so> to answer that." Turns to colleague: "Why isn't he here, his input would have been valuable?"

Yank #2: "Sorry. He's away on mandatory sexual harassment training."

Me: <Look of mock horror> "My God. You need *training* for that over here? Doesn't it come naturally?"

All the yanks looked at me as if I'd just climbed on the table, dropped my kecks and laid a steamer. The exception was the lone Brit expat who had tears running down his cheeks and most of a shirtsleeve stuffed in his mouth to prevent himself laughing and getting fired for it.

Silver badge
Happy

Class Acts in Sub Prime Heartland

:-) Is that you, Simon .... having some more fun in the comments?

Pint

Awesome...

But, so true.

Yes, we DO need that over here....unfortunately.

Pint.....because I'm taking a month off drinking......bleh.

Pint

Steamer...

"All the yanks looked at me as if I'd just climbed on the table, dropped my kecks and laid a steamer."

Brilliant! Just brilliant!

As to "Lotus fucking Notes" -- you mean there is an alternative? I thought the higher the number the worse it got. 8.5 is worse than 8, is worse than 7 is...

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

re: the training's on how it's not permitted

"Been there, seen it, done it, bought the T-shirt.

The scene: A boardroom in California. .."

Awesome story. Funniest thing I've heard all day, although it's still fairly early on the East Coast.

I guess you figured out pretty quickly that we don't do sarcasm very well over here.

Coffee/keyboard

C|N>K

that is all.

Silver badge
Pint

That's worthy of a prize!!

Brilliant start of the weekend!!

Not all American companies...

My boss at a former company would make similar remarks about the sexual harassment training. (The same boss who had a small stack of "artistic" magazines in his bottom desk drawer.)

'Course, then we were all let go when we "merged" with another company, and the other company had a group twice the size of ours, doing the same amount of work. I guess they figured they could handle the increased workload. (They really couldn't, and had to resort to cooking the books. The rest is history.)

Happy

Stop....Stop

i'm gonna wet myself.....can't stop laughing...

Pint

"You need *training* for that over here?"

*snerk* I salute you, sir. I am filing that one away for future use, if you don't mind - and as I'm a woman, that should confuse 'em! ;)

Classic episode, Simon - have a salue yourself, too :)

Happy

@Mike Fugennock

I figured that out eons ago, that was important to producing the desired effect.

They never invited me back. For some reason, such invitations are never correctly phrased as; "Would you like to feel like death on a stick for the next two weeks after flying 11 hours each way in cattle class for a half-day meeting in a time zone guaranteed to really screw you up?".

Pint

3 Letter reason why Notes is awful

Lotus fucking Notes!!! Yes, some of us have to suffer this pile of poo but when the company first introduced it, it was arguably better than MS-Mail and cheaper than DEC All-in-One, the only problem was IBM bought it after that.

Cheers Simon, must be Friday again.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.