This week, The Register’s Tim Phillips was your host for the live Regcast ‘The other enterprise desktop: Because Windows can’t be everything to everyone ’. And very jolly it was too, getting lots of good questions and feedback from viewers on the day. This event is now available for free on demand. So tune in at your own …
One size fits all
"Yet when we look at how we buy hardware for business it's not a one size fits all approach. Instead it's common to buy different specifications and capabilities to suit different business needs.
So shouldn't it be the same when considering desktop operating systems?"
Generally major enterprise likes a one size fits all with the desktop as it means they only need one OS skill-set - namely the more common one. Hence if some of your users in the enterprise need windows you may as well give it to everyone as MS will often price it nicely with a site license deal if you say you're considering something else.
KDE, so long as they eventually revert 4 to 3.5 behaviour and ditch Dolphin forever.
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Hey, Scots. Microsoft's Bing thinks you'll vote NO to independence