back to article Council of Europe wants to maintain net neutrality

Internet service providers (ISPs) should not alter online traffic to serve faster access to content produced by companies that have helped to pay for better connectivity, draft principles into the governance of internet freedoms say. European internet users are entitled to access to the whole internet in all but exceptional …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Quxy
    Joke

What is WITH these people?

Is NO ONE consulting with Andrew Orlowski before they make these pronouncements?

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

...and in other CoE news

They want to really mess up our world of mobility. Particulary where and how we use wireless http://bit.ly/ihwAvp

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Scary

... reading.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Does not seem to require *any* government agency to record all internet traffic.

Although I doubt that will stop GCHQ going DPI crazy.

In fact it does not seem to require ISP's to act as fee collection arms of Big Media either.

I like their thinking.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And the crystal ball says...

Jeremy Hunt will reject these proposals on the grounds that it will 'undermine Britain's successful media industry' / 'upset uncle Rupert'.

5. Mitch Kent

Forgive my ignorance, but...

... aren't the suppliers of content already paying more, in that they have to pay for a wider tube to upload from? Why is there a second tier needed for us to download X in preference over Y when that payment for extra bandwidth has already been paid?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like