Feeds

back to article Facebook planking game claims its first victim

A social media game that uses Facebook as its vector is being blamed for the death of a 20-year-old Queenslander over the weekend. The silly, but mostly harmless, game of "planking" involves a person lying straight, arms by side face down, sans facial expression. Plankers are encouraged to pose creative or daring locations and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Paris Hilton

Over-reaction??

Thats no over-reaction, thats just Queensland Police being Queensland Police (aka Fun Police)

Planker = Plonker

Not much else to say other than Darwin must be extremely happy with his latest idea to clean up the gene pool

Silver badge

One less idiot

To quote (possibly misquote) Bill Hicks "We lost an idiot. The world just got lighter."

Bronze badge
Happy

Hicks the genius!

"So what? That's one less gas-station attendent!"

Darwin is proved right....again

I don't think it's fair to say that police are overreacting to this craze. Unfortunately some people have to be protected from their own stupidity (and presumably excess alcohol consumption).

Anonymous Coward

May I be the first...

...to nominate this planker for a Darwin award?

Go

was he ever going to be a nationality other than Australian?

despite encroaching state nannying - we still manage to find imaginative ways to kill ourselves. makes you quite proud.

Paris Hilton

Let's be real here

He could have been Floridian.

Dead Vulture

Erm, yes actually.

I'm a little surprised that neither the author nor the commentards seem to be aware that this 'craze' swept the UK (the yanks as well I think) about 2 years ago under the name of "The lying down game"

It even featured as headline on Sky news at one point.

So yes, it could quite easily have been some pissed up chav from Stanwell or something. I've seen pics of ground crew "planking" in the intakes for 747 turbines at Heathrow etc...

Anonymous Coward

But...

It took an Aussie to try lie down on air.

Hand picked by the finest legal minds in England they are!

FAIL

And the Darwin award goes to....

Planking is not the problem, being stupid and falling off to your death from a balcony is.

Darwin

I wonder who will be collecting the Darwin Award on his behalf?

Thumb Up

lol

Pwned by Darwin

Silver badge
Badgers

Blame game

"...number of news and TV presenters mimicking the act on prime television."

Yet it is still the internet's fault, of course.

Stupid is stupid. Long before the 'net, 'tv , the printing press, or Thogg painting on the cave wall.

Why is it?

That "Person dies doing something stupid" stories get publicity when the something stupid is either spectacularly stupid like trying to pick your nose with a power drill, or something moderately foolish linked to things those in charge are against for one reason or another. With the latter, it's almost as though the media are specifically on the lookout for what is an inevitability given the large sample size for such things.

I guess I answered my own question there...

Celebrate. There's one less moron in the world.

Pint

It's the Darwin Awards - LIVE!

These things shouldn't be BANNED... they improve the overall quality of the gene pool!

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: It's the Darwin Awards - LIVE!

I'm looking forward to many more comments of this nature on this story!

A dangerous game

This game is bad news.

Didn't some NHS staff get suspended over playing 'the lying down game' at work a few years back?

Darwin Award

What a plank

Silver badge
Go

As we say here in Aus:

Thick as two short planks.

FAIL

So...

A Facebook user, doing something extremely dangerous and reckless in the propagation of a meme, falls to his death. I submit that the potential of his life has in no way gone unfulfilled.

Joke

The police...

what a bunch of plankers.

Silver badge

Plankers? Plonkers, more like ...

But, as I always say, idiots abound in today's society that over-protects the incautious from themselves. It's evolution in action. Let the idiots die before they can reproduce. The world will be a better place over the long-haul.

Anonymous Coward

Plonkers

Make you think that Derek & Clive's prediction about "celebrity suicide" would be the next show on reality TV.

(profanity warning)

http://www.phespirit.info/derekandclive/ad_nauseam_09.htm

Grenade

cue Beastie Boys

"While the Facebook “planking” community expressed some concern over the death, many defended the right to plank."

.. you gotta fight.. for your right.. to plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank

Megaphone

The perfect idiot trap

Please more planking in dangerous places. We need fewer idiots. Get 'em before they sprog!

Joke

Linguistic revisionism

Clearly we need to start referring to plankers instead of plonkers...

FAIL

progeny?

Darwin Awards candidate if count equals none.

Silver badge
WTF?

Natural selection at work.

I'm sure someone will have nominated this unfortunate for a Darwin Award. I now understand why all the entreprising Aussies are working in bars in London if the height of social activity in Aus is planking.

FAIL

Plankers?

What a bunch of plonkers!

Darwin meets Facebook?

That is all.

Silver badge
WTF?

Where the fuck did this come from?

I'm trying to understand what it is about this activity that excites people. In my experience, lying face-down on the pavement is something you do after you've had too many tequila slammers and been kicked down stairs by the bouncers. That's not something you'd want recorded for posterity, much less publication on the Internet. I believe in live and let live (die?), so people should be free to do it if they wish, but I'll never be able to get my head into this space myself.

Anonymous Coward

About as random...

as the "head in the freezer" craze that started, IIRC, in South Korea. Kids making and posting silly pics... at least they're not smoking crack

: /

Flame

Guess you've never got your head really cold then ?

I can reliably inform you it can make you high as a kite ! However it has happened it isn't good.

Flame not for you, but vital warmth :-) !

Darwin beckons if 20 yrs. old

That looks like a sensible entrance age to get a entry in Darwin awards then. First one to plank on the hi speed main line down by me and get cut in half would be a more likely winner tho.

Silver badge
FAIL

Oh you mean "Plankers"

I thought you said they were "Plonkers"

My bad.

Darwin award winner

Well, one has removed himself from the gene pool. 90000 more to walk the plank

Thank you, Acton Beale

for single-handedly improving the human race's gene pool by removing yourself from it.

Bronze badge

What the...?

"While the Facebook “planking” community expressed some concern over the death, many defended the right to plank."

Er, no... if while doing planking (or any other activity) - which is in-and-of-itself not illegal - you do something illegal in order to achieve it, then there is no "right" for you to turn to. The illegality (and/or stupidity) of the acts you are doing in order to get your shot supersede any so-called rights you thought you had...

It is illegal to interfere with a police vehicle - this includes climbing, sitting or leaning on it. The fact that the idiot only wanted to plank does *not*, somehow, make it legal or confer on the idiot some sort of "right".

Or to put it another way, the legality of your action only extends to your first illegal act in committing that action.

Big Brother

What is the world coming to?

When lying on improbable objects and having your picture taken is something to risk your life over? Seriously, I want/need someone to explain the attraction to outsiders (and oneself) of expending effort in order to obtain a picture of a person lying down on something.

Guy should be nominated for a Darwin.

Having said that, did anyone else see the Chief Constables speech as reported by the BBC and feel a mite uneasy?

[quote] Sergeant Matthew Russell, of Gladstone police, told the Brisbane Courier-Mail newspaper that planking could be dangerous, and practitioners may find themselves charged with "unauthorised high risk activity" [/quote]

So now 'high risk activity' has to be authorized? By whom? Using what criteria? Where does one apply for such authorization? Who determines what constitutes high risk activity in the first place?

I can only therefore assume that since people die in the waters off the coast of Australia every year while taking part in such activities as diving, surfing, swimming and sailing that law enforcement will put an immediate stop to them until the proper paperwork has been filed and approved in triplicate (and no doubt fees delivered to the appropriate officers desk). Only half kidding there.

And one guy, probably not altogether sober, does something stupid and it's held up as an object lesson to how everyone else in the general population is obviously incapable of taking care of themselves without Nanny making every decision for you.

I don't usually get worked up over this, but I've had enough. I want the freedom to live the life I choose without being told/instructed that it's wrong, simply because some aspects do not conform to societal normalcy in my geographical area. It's not about 'planking', as I kinda already said, I think it's a craze for pillocks with no sense of self-identity and self-worth and as such can't bear not to be part of the latest group fascination that comes along. As long as my (or anyone elses) activities (or lack of) do not affect someone else in a negative fashion then I firmly and unequivocally believe that the government can stay the fuck out of my private life.

Need a damn Stalin icon.

FAIL

Get. A. Life.

Please! And El Reg, you're only encouraging them with this Daily Mail style reporting...

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Sir

Sod planking, 'eyeballing' is where it's at. You take one Darwinian challenged individual, a knife and ping pong ball. Stick the ball to the back of the head and try to remove it with the knife having first passed the knife through one of the eyes (left or right - doesn't matter).

Great stuff, very amusing, and also serves a purpose - what more could you want?

Silver badge
Badgers

Plank

'Plank' is also used as a term for an idiot.

Can't wait for the association with Facebook to become the cause of it - 'Facebook encourages dangerous stunts'. Yeah, like hell it does, it's the twats who egg each other on.

Where's the 'Darwin' icon?

Gold badge
Coat

May I be the first to say:

What a plank!

Silver badge

May I be the first to say?

No

Paris Hilton

Toooo Obvious

Facebook, full of plankers taking pictures of themselves planking...

Paris, inspiring a generation of plankers

Anonymous Coward

Drunk man falls off balcony

What a plank.

is it April 1st again already?

This has got to be a joke doesn't it? if not - well, another contender for the Darwin awards I guess.

Anonymous Coward

Planking?

"The silly, but mostly harmless, game of "planking" involves a person lying straight, arms by side face down, sans facial expression."

Seriously? This is a game? Sometimes I worry for the future of our species.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.