back to article Panasonic SC-HTB520 soundbar

TV manufacturers are keen to push the merits of picture quality on the latest sets, but unfortunately sound quality seems to have been lost somewhere along the way due to the tiny speakers manufacturers cram into their slender frames. It seems as if most expect you to twin their sets with surround sound systems. If you haven’t …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Unhappy

Nice

I love the way the HDTV "revolution" has downgraded audio so now in addition to paying a premium for an HDTV you can now pay £330 to get sound you should have received in the first place. And an extra power source needed as well.

At least with CRT TVs you received decent sound for the most part with latter models bundling in SRS 3D and WOW. External speakers have now become almost more of a necessity than a luxury.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Most TV speakers I heard were crap.

I know there are some exceptions but most people I knew who went for a larger-than-normal TV, or updated to Widescreen, or whatever used separate speakers and amps.

If you're spending a stupid amount of money on a large HD set and you don't have a separate sound setup then I would think you'd be in the minority.

Thumb Up

Ah but some of us have families etc...

I bought a 42" Panasonic last year, mainly for the world cup, equally because the old CRT was on its last legs and I fancied a new toy. This sound bar looks ideal for what I want. The TV sound is ok; when we want something on 'big sound' the sound goes through the decent stereo system, which doesn't work too well as the speakers aren't either side of the screen so good sound comes from either side of the fireplace, the good picture is over there in the corner of the room.

I (as in 'we') don't want another set of boxes to give us full surround sound, and another set of speakers taking up even more space. This neat little solution is the answer, esp as I've got hacked off with Apple not being able to make iPads fast enough so have abandoned any desire to buy one and now have more than enough dosh in my New Bike Fund to buy one of these.

Anonymous Coward

Computer speakers are better

You can get the same result with a nice set of 2.1 computer speakers for around $100. Not digital, I suppose, but that analog signal has to be converted to digital sometime, might as well be at the TV.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums