Google has announced an upgrade to the tablet-centric Honeycomb version of Android. Version 3.1 will soon be pushed out to Motorola Xoom tablets running on Verizon's network. With the new version, application widgets can now be resized vertically as well as horizontally. The OS can serve as a USB host. And it can accept input …
An Android only a mother (or fanboi) could love
1) Honeycomb 3.1 coming to specific devices first (Xoom on Verizon) others will get it at some other time, maybe...
2) You'll now be able to plug a mouse into your tablet. Hurray. Google has really figured out how people use tablets.
Also an Accessory API which only works for the USB port (no wireless/bluetooth) but is far more limited than a real host USB implementation. Do they think people like to carry around USB gadgets physically plugged into their tablets?
3) Firmware updates for 18 months. That's sooo generous given Apple supported their 3G phone for 28 months and people were even complaining then.
4) Apple's App Store hit 10 billion downloads last January, more than double Google's latest number. Don't they say there's a lot more Android devices out there?
5) But hey they'll have a delicious sounding Ice Cream Sandwich out one of these days with some amazing features. You might need a new device to run it though, but don't worry it will be open source (except the many binary blobs they like to include)
Can't be bothered with the rest of your "points" but as for number 3, whilst the later updates may have worked with the 3G, they added virtually nothing new to the phone since even trivial things like wallpaper weren't made available unless you had a 3GS.
Funny you should mention Fanbois..
Google seem to be responding to the shift in market brought about by the iPad far better than Microsoft. Not that there's a 'right' OS for a tablet, just the lesser of a handful of weevils. However, it's all about the hardware and seeing as Apple set the 'minimalist' dial to 11, there's not much room for competitors to manoeuvre.
Years ago I very nearly switched from a degree in software to industrial design. That probably did my employment prospects no end of good. It seems to me that whilst everyone responds well to great design, not so many companies manage to field (or support) great designers.
1. Much of this is to do with the vendor you select, personally i'll wait till there is an official Google tablet before I consider it.
2. iOS has one major advantage over everyone else. Accessories. There is really something to be said for having a single handset, it makes it very easy for 3rd parties to make extra kit for it. Mainly things like docks, car kits and the likes. This is Googles answer to that.
If you move from a Samsung to a HTC you will be able to use the same accessories. There is a LOT to be said for that.
3. Again this is more to do with the vendor surely?
4. No, Android only just surpassed Apple in terms of phones. There are still more iOS devices out in the wild due to iPod Touch and iPad. The rate of uptake in Android is still accelerating way past that of iOS though.
5. You can always just download a 3rd party version, CyanogenMod is very popular, updates are almost constant.
4 iPhones & 1 tablet or is that 2...
Android runs on over 100 different devices & you're comparing the 2. Apple's OSes don't even run across the iPad/iPhone so you comparing apples to Google.
You idiot! By the way I believe there are more Android devices out there than iPhones already so check your facts wally...
Head down to MoDaCo and see it running on the Vega!!!
Shame they're not working on better security given the 400% increase in malware.
Then again given Google's performance at the US Senate today (over privacy) they may be forced to police their market a bit better.
Lots of good news
Ok where to start. You didn't mention the cloud music service.
Device manufacturers are now commiting to roll out updates more proactively, we saw a list including vodafone, samsung, htc... The basis is that all new devices will get all updates for at leadt 18 months.
Usb stuff is big, 3.1 supports lots of usb devices not just keyboards. I can plug my DSLR into my new Samsung galaxy tab, upload pics and stick them on the net.
I have my hands on the proto board and ok no bluetooth now but it is in development.
This is all good stuff and competition for in particular Apple. What's not to like?
I just realised I shouldn't post when drunk.... anyway what I meant to say was they already nearly got 3.0 running on the Vega (non supported device), so I can't see why 3.1 will be an issue!
Yep - can't wait for them to iron out the remaining bugs. Honeycomb is a far better option for the Vega - the fact that you can now grab them for £200 really does make them a complete bargain. Been holding off sticking any newer roms on after the modaco r8, nearly went with the corvus one, til he strated releasing the HC stuff !!
Vegacomb - top project
I'm currently running Beta1 of Vegacomb, and it' makes the Vega into a far more mature, complete feeling device. There's nowt wrong with the Android 2.2/2.3 roms, but once Honeycomb is definitely a major step forward in terms of usability in the tablet form factor.
I'm massively impressed with how well Corvus and Newbe5 are doing - proper kudos to them.
No update for Galaxy Tab?
It may just be a rumour but I've heard won't be coming to Samsung's Galaxy Tab (7") - if this is true it may be the first and last Android tablet I'll be buying. In less than 6 months you get no further OS upgrades? No thanks. I'm not shelling out another 400 quid.
Don't care to much about OS upgrades
Personally I dont care to much about OS upgrades but I do think even if the handset gets no new operating system, they should be forced to provide security fixes for at least 3 to 5 years. Some network providers answers to vulnerabilities is you should just buy another handset. Annoying.
...And the source code is still not open!
We need a G with horns icon
- Does Apple's iOS 7 make you physically SICK? Try swallowing version 7.1
- Fee fie Firefox: Mozilla's lawyers probe Dell over browser install charge
- Pics Indestructible Death Stars blow up planets with glowing KILL RAY
- Video Snowden: You can't trust SPOOKS with your DATA
- Hands on Satisfy my scroll: El Reg gets claws on Windows 8.1 spring update