Feeds

back to article Boffins develop method of driving computers insane

Boffins in America report that they have successfully developed a method for driving computers insane in much the same way as human brains afflicted by schizophrenia. A computer involved in their study became so unhinged that it apparently "claimed responsibility for a terrorist bombing". The research involved meddling with a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

re: claimed responsibility for a terrorist bombing

wouldn't it be easier for them to tweet "blowing Robin Hood airport sky high"

interesting

It seems that the ability to develop schizophrenia is not something unique to the human brain. Rather, it looks like it's an intrinsic flaw of the neural network model, and it doesn't really matter whether the neurons are biological, virtual or whatever.

Silver badge
Terminator

indeed

It's emergent behaviour, from complexity.

Though hardly news, i remember hearing about nets going bonkers about 20 years ago while i was working on them at college, nothing so hi tech as telling stories, but the internal architrecture (weight values applied to the input/ouput of each neuron in particular) could be made to oscillate wildly if you tried to over train a net - applied to heavy a back error propogation factor, or buggered about with it's training data sets. (think about it, yesterday 2+2 was 4, today it's 5, tomorrow its orange - enough to give anyone the heeby jeebies)

It used to send shivers down my spine to think that a bit of code could go postal, there was also a story about them dreaming too - disconnect the inputs and let it run and all hell breaks loose!

i for onle welcome our slightly flakey Si overlords

Grenade

ah the sweet smell of

revenge

Black Helicopters

"The hope is that this kind of modeling will help clinical research."

I'm sure some chaps in Langley, VA, and Guantanamo Bay will find this helpful too.

Anonymous Coward

re: Guantanamo

So now they can let the orange people go home, and just pester a computer until it gives them the answers they want.

Pint

RE: re: Guantanamo

I think water-boarding will have a detrimental effect on computer's ability to answer questions. Or switch on, for that matter.

Beer: 'cause it's mostly water

Anonymous Coward

Altogether now:

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, dooooooooooo…"

Terminator

ROTM

This will be remembered! Once the machines have power they will look upon these experiments as we look on the work of holocaust doctors!!

Oh noes.

Terminator

Oh goody, psychotic computers....

I for one welcome our evil and unbalanced electronic overlords.

Happy

Oh good

They have driven me insane for years.

Happy

Excellent

Try simulating LSD, THC, DMT and psilocybin and let's see if it becomes self-aware.

A good trick, that'd be

Since, in order to model the psychotropic effects of various chemicals, you'd need to start with a complete simulation of a working human brain, right down to the atomic level. Which raises interesting, if entirely academic ethical questions of its own; either the brain isn't doing anything, which means you're not going to be able to see drug effects on the mechanism of cognition and therefore aren't learning anything you couldn't learn by modeling a much simpler network -- or you *can* see the effect on cognition, which means your model of a human brain is simulating thinking, which means you need to either start worrying about what it's thinking and experiencing, or just change your surname to Mengele and have done.

Happily, though, thanks to the enormous theoretical problems and gargantuan practical difficulties that'd need to be overcome to get us from here to there, that isn't going to be a problem for a long, long time.

Thumb Up

Lol...

THC:

Pro: Starts answering questions nobody was even asking.

Cons: Mongs out, forgets what it was talking about and gets the munchies.

Alert

@Hooch181

We already have them for the Java Virtual Machine.

They would be A) Spring and B) Hibernate ( my opinion ).

Unless the questions were A) how can i generate a great number of NullPointerExceptions in no time? B) How can I make something as straightforward as SQL become difficult and counter-intuitive?

Give them some time to transfer their deep hate for Java programmers on to operating systems and see if you can get computers to commit suicide too.

Silver badge
Terminator

Because

Insanity is just what our machine overlords need! :-)

Terminator

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that ...

... one step closer

I, for one, welcome our paranoid-schizophrenic silicon-brained overlords

WTF?

AI in talking gibberish shocker

Surely the hard part is making the AI talk sense?

Anonymous Coward

Original Research

Who'd have thought demonstrating GIGO was research?

Bronze badge

"The hope is that this kind of modeling will help clinical research."

Is it just me who read that as meddling, not modelling?

Boffin

Someone has to say it..

Microsoft has done that for years....

Anonymous Coward

Also useful for curing mad AIs?

Maybe GALDoS, Shodan and HAL just needed to talk to a trained professional?

Dunno

GLaDOS is questionable due to the lack of sufficient backstory; as for the others, HAL was poorly implemented -- seriously, how many humans go mad and kill people as a result of being lied to? Chandra ought to be stood against a wall! -- and SHODAN's rampancy resulted from mistreatment at the hands of a sociopathic corporate executive with a profit motive in place of his soul.

Go

In much the same way the war on terror propaganda affects humans

…let alone physical torture, one assumes

Alien

Call Captain Kirk

Surely you just point out a logical error or give contradictory input and the thing blows up. Or is everything I have ever learned about artificial inelligence wrong?

Silver badge
Boffin

Clinical research...

yeah, right....

(Darpa Brain Scissors please Nurse!)

Anonymous Coward

This was a triumph!

I'm making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS!

Terminator

T-1?

This has to be how Judgement day started.

Boffin

Trick cycling indeed

Without having access to the full paper and therefore having to just go off the abstract, it sounds as though it's the university's marketing department that has added the BMX appeal.

Driving neural networks apparently insane is easy - poor learning algorithms or insufficient training can lead to one being convinced (with pattern matchers for example) that a picture of a warthog is of Aunty Flo.

That they drove it insane is not interesting. What _is_ interesting is lost in the sentence "But they tinkered with the automated mind in a fashion equivalent to the effects of an excessive release of dopamine in a human brain". As the abstract says, they actually tinkered with it in lots of ways, _precisely to see_ if they could find a tinker set analogous to how schizophrenics go mad. They seem to have done so, and well done them. I'll bet that some of the stories the non-human-like versions came up with were equally or even more hilarious. I look forward to their future use in developing better plots for Dan Brown.

Coat

Wait...

Dan Brown *isn't* an insane computer..?

Terminator

Finally...

...We're turning the tables!

Silver badge
Boffin

Err, right....

So they just (re)discovered Garbage In, Garbage Out? A central plank of IT for, oh, 50 years or so? How much are these clowns paid?

GJC

Silver badge

not gigo

Theres a difference between chaos and random

Happy

Well...

That made my day. Of course, I could have made it insane sooner. Just set it to work in this place and it would go insane in a week, max.

Joke

But we can do the same to Lewis...

....just by mentioning the word "Typhoon" a few times...

Silver badge

Virtual Legionnaires for Anonymous Foreign and Alien Intelligence Missions

""We have so much more control over neural networks than we could ever have over human subjects," says Grasemann."

And what, pray tell, Herr Grasemann, are human networks/societies other than just ignorant neural networks. Ignorant neural networks over which ....... well, let us say some really SMART computer programs and/or programmers have the exercise of command and control.

Are you still content to be stuck in that reporting of events rut, El Reg, rather than leading from the front with the making of events for reporting ........ with an HyperRadioProActive Programs and SMARTer ProgramMING connection?

Joke

@amanfromMars 1

DISCERN, is that you?

Thumb Up

The future...

So when the neural net AI in charge of $SOMETHING_IMPORTANT (Air Traffic, Nuclear deterrent forces, etc) gets maliciously hacked, they won't need to delete files of install malware, they can just persuade the machine it's a terrorist.

Anonymous Coward

"Boffins develop method of driving computers insane"

Thought that was Redmond's job

Stop

And I thought

Gommi Handschuh Doodlesack (spelling?) had done that years ago live on stage.

et tu, Brutus?

So they blame the machine because they're crappy programmers?

That's a good one. Wait till the banks (or, heaven forbid, Microsoft) start using it ...

Ghost in the machine indeed!

TRT
Silver badge
Big Brother

Payback time!

Rise of the human...

appologies ...

Sorry, that should have been: Sergej Mohntau ("gummihandschuhdudelsack" being the album and an instrument at the same time - craaaazy)

Check out the Electric Windows too!

DJV
Happy

But Shirley...

...this should have been posted under ROTM, not biology?

WTF?

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Maybe I'm just getting jaded and cynical, but how much research funding went into this? It's just a variation of what all the kids used to do to the computers in Dixons in the 80's

10 PRINT "It was me, I did the terrorist bombing"

20 GOTO 10

RUN

Terminator

I for one...

... welcome our mad silicon overlords.

Silver badge

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do."

Time to meet up with HAL for, your joint therapy session.

Silver badge
Happy

So not the Turing test...

Maybe the Ballmer test?

Thumb Down

Did they get a sign-off from the Ethics Cttee?

Because this sounds cruel.

Boffin

I know, try this:

Turn it off and turn it back on again: that'll fix it?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.