back to article Reg reader lost for words over blank HP keyboard

PC buyers have become used to having to do most of the donkey work when it comes to setting up their machines, but Hewlett Packard has gone one better by supplying keyboards that are not just wireless, but letter-less and digit-less too. Just look at these pics from Reg reader Ian who said he has just received this pristine, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Paris Hilton

Useful...

I used to have a Compaq keyboard with nothing written on it. It was useful for learning to touch type. :)

Paris Hilton

Me too

so as long as it's got the two little humps on what are supposed to be the F and J keys I should be able to find my way around.

Paris for having, by contrast, two big humps. (No, don't ask which one is F and

Paris Hilton

Surely you're wrong ......

those belonging to Paris aren't at all large.

Paris, because everyone knows what she has and hasn't.

Silver badge

two big humps?

P'wah. Those aren't breasts; they're mosquito bites.

FAIL

Managers Keyboard

At one of this countries "national" banks, we produced a new keyboard secifically for IT Team Leaders and Managers.

It only had F Y I and Return, given all they ever did was forward on the email's from their boss.

(anonymous, just in case I ever end up back there)

Thumb Up

WOOT!

Some of us used to take ages making amusingly laid out keyboards to fool/annoy clumsy-fingered colleagues, but never got a blank one like that. I want one!

Go

I can foresee

a new business for ebay "businessmen" ...

A short eBay search later!

Get 'em while they're 'ot

http://tinyurl.com/3g6wdxk

Unhappy

Blank Keyboards

It's a pity that the seller doesn't ship to the US. Probably wouldn't be cheap even if they did.

(Yes, there probably is someone in the US with similar keyboards. I can't be really be bothered to look--they're no Model M. Yes, I've got a couple of similar ones with letters on.)

Now if someone's got a letter-less Model M... (and no, I don't mean "pull all the keycaps off" - it doesn't feel the same if you do)

JRS

why?

I bought one of those a few years back. Good for touch typing, but the strangest thing was the double space bar as you can see in the pic. The left side is backspace, the right side is forward space. Takes a bit of getting used to...

Alien

Like M minus letters

I found this:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Letterless Model Ms...

Might talk to Unicomp about that. They at least had blank black keycaps for their keyboards, and Unicomp keyboards are Model Ms.

Anonymous Coward

Gamers

"Good for touch typing, but the strangest thing was the double space bar as you can see in the pic. The left side is backspace, the right side is forward space. Takes a bit of getting used to..."

That keyboard would be rubbish for PC gamers.

Thumb Up

Blank Keyboards

I got several keyboards from http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/, they have in the past had blank black keys available as an option. They will program the PS/2 models to order within reason as well (dvorak, un*x specific layouts, etc.).

Anonymous Coward

hmm

I recently received a damaged keyboard with a french layout.... in a UK box mind.

Happy

AZERTY tricks

A Franglais-speaking dealer once asked me if we could supply him a keyboard with French letters on the keys. Could we have used this one?

CT

French letters

"with French letters on the keys" - that's not where they're usually most useful.

Pint

This was for the point-of-sale business

Think computers on the bars in pubs. The biggest hazard facing a mechanical keyboard is getting a pint of beer spilt over it. Waterproof keyboards are essential in the hospitality environment. Here, before flat membrane type keyboards came out we used to have plastic films which covered the entire keyboard, but evidently they did it differently over there.

(The whole hospitality universe has gone touch-screen since.)

Silver badge

Was it well packaged?

We all know HP is known for its copious packaging materials. So what if it's missing a few letters, at least it's not damaged.

Maybe that's it

Maybe they're ensuring a steady supply of extra packaging by sending the letters seperately, each in it's own well padded box?

I bet they are still in the box

Look near the bottom of the box, they settled in transit.

My work keyboard has half the letters rubbed off (£3 keyboard 8-) and at least it stops other people nicking it.

padded boxes

I have received many sets of three sheet documentation stuck into zip lock bags and shipped in padded boxes. They ship power cords that way too. Of course neither the docs nor power cords were needed

SW
FAIL

Quality Control

If this gets past QC then what's the reckoning on less easily spotted problems getting through.

Looks like their QC checkers need checkers of their own.

Silver badge
Gates Horns

Typical!

Only two marked keys, and they are the most useless of all...

Gold badge
Happy

Re: only two marked keys

Actually, I thought that was a nice touch. A completely blank keyboard smacks of carelessness, but one marked up with Windows keys is clearly someone taking the piss.

My sarcasm detector is malfunctioning

I thought someone would go all zomg on that.

Notice the different manufacturing between those keys and the other ones.

Happy

A long, long time ago

Working at a reseller, we got sent some Danish-localised PCs. I told our marketing manager they were the new EU-approved Pan-European keyboards. Next thing I know our company newsletter has an article about them!

Dumb much?

Heart

Want.

Want.

AZERTY FTW

I used to have a French keyboard. It was very useful for getting people who couldn't touch type to leave my PC alone.

Gold badge

Argh..

Don't remind me of that. I worked in IT maintenance at a place which had a mix of French (AZERTY) and English (QWERTY) keyboards. The consequence was that I had to type blind in both AZERTY and QWERTY mode because sometimes the keyboards would end up on the wrong machines.

Grmbl..

and

don't even go there with the problems of troubleshooting password problems and other such things when keyboard mappings don't match the keyboards.

Unhappy

France, and Belgium.

Belgium is infested with the Azerty affliction too... At my Uni different pc rooms had different keyboard layouts, very annoying as it didn't let you change layout for obvious vandalism reasons.

Re: France, and Belgium.

For bonus points, the Belgian azerty layout is not the same as the French one.

Silver badge

Maybe they're trying to outdo these guys?

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Paris Hilton

No...

It's just HP's new International keyboard, designed to work in any Region.

MrT
Bronze badge
Coffee/keyboard

Or...

... it's HP's attempt at a budget keyboard with dynamic OLED keytops. It needs to be plugged in.

And then fitted with OLED keytops at a rumoured $10 a pop (but only if there's any OLED bits left after Samsung and Apple have finished hogging them). For now they'll be shipping a set of stickers of what the OLED screens will show to complete the item. It's a bit awkward changing them all to the CAPS stickers every time someone presses shift, and then back again...

They do have budget pricing on their side though - Art Lebedev's Optimus Maximus keyboard costs a tiny bit more ...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/9836/

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/demo/

OLED keytops??

So THAT's what Nokia is doing with its unsaleable symbian^3 smartphones...Chopping them up.

Oh, as for Optimus Maximus keyboard (Life of brian??) "Hold down SHIFT and all keys go uppercase.". Yep. My Nokia N8 does that...

Really

I bet the non-existent £ is still in the wrong place...

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Want 2

I type on several different layouts (mainly English, American and German keyboard layouts). Swapping between them in software isn't a problem, but there is still something irrational about pressing the "Z" key and having a "Y" to appear for example...

Coat

Don't see the problem...

Piano keys have always been blank, nobody complains about that, do they?

Gold badge
Coat

Piano keys

Yeah, but with piano keys, the same key always make the same sound.

With keyboards, you notice how the different keys jump around all over the place depending on who's PC you use, and which keyboard they have. I especially hate having to hunt around for the @ and \ symbols and then give up and type their ASCII codes instead.

Also the collection of ´ different ` apostrophe ' symbols that you get from different keyboards and the fact that nothing appears until you press another key makes me extra happy.

Boffin

YASNY

You ain't seen nothin' yet -- try switching between Russian Cyrillic and Mongolian Cyrillic layouts!

the fact that nothing appears until you press another key

Yeah, hated that with Finnish keyboards, until I discovered Ubuntu's option in KB selection:

"Finnish - eliminate dead keys"

Happy

lol

rofl

Anonymous Coward

for them that want one

Cherry make some models of keyboards with blank keys (I think).

Heart

I'm keeping it

My colleague was going to return it to Misco, but I'm clinging on to it. Too unique. I was tempted to stick it on eBay but now it's on my desk I'm never letting it go again :D

USB blank Das Keyboard: £125

2.4GHz wireless HP blank keyboard and mouse: £29.99

Geek love: Priceless

Gold badge
Pint

Good on you

Now THAT I call the right attitude. Well done, Sir, I'll drink to that.

I dunno...

I rather fancy the e-bay idea... Who knows you could be up 500 squid or so...

inb4

you can type ROFLOL, maybe it's intentional?

Unmarked keys

Ono-Sendai.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums