Feeds

back to article Elgato Tivizen iOS Wi-Fi TV tuner

If the pictures of Elgato's Tivizen TV tuner look familiar, it's probably because you read Reg Hardware's review of the similarly named Tizi, from Equinux, back in February. The reason the two gadgets look the same is because they are the same: a product called Tivizen and made by South Korean company Valups. Elgato Tivizen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by its author

FAIL

DTT Reception

I had a DTT stick and it was bloody useless with the included aerial unless you were almost on top of the transmitter. Your TV aerial is directional and on the roof for a reason so reception can be tough inside a building, lower down and with a poxy 50p aerial.

If you live within 10 miles of a high power TX or have a local relay then it seems to work fine. Anything else, forget it.

TWB

DSO

"By what margin is reception likely to improve once analogue is switched off?" - I cannot say for sure, but the signal goes up 7dB when analogue gets switched off (a bit more than double)

Oddly this may affect people who get a strong DTT signal now by getting too strong a signal after DSO. I have an aerial which has too much gain for where I live as I am only 6 miles from CP and I have to pad it down by -20dB to get my STB to accept the signal. Before I did this, my STB said the signal was good and strong but the 'quality' was too low for it to work.

Boffin

Antennas

The plural of antenna is antennas, unless you're talking about snails.

And it might have worked better if they'd put the antenna on the right way up:

"So, what's this product's USP going to be?"

- "Upside down aerial".

"This time next year we'll be millionaires Rodders."

Why pay £150?

...when you can watch TV on any mobile device through http://www.tvcatchup.com/

Silver badge
Boffin

Good, but

Although TV catchup is brilliant, it doesn't really make sense where this product is aimed - i.e. outside of a free/cheap wireless net connection. The 3G iPads would rack up a fairly hefty bill, and wifi iPads would be stuffed.

Silver badge

Hmm

It's rubbish.

1) Too expensive. A USB DTT stick is from £10

2) Since is connects only with WiFi, why only for iOS?

3) Most locations need external aerial. The Telescopic aerial should either be on a connector, or there should be a separate connector.

4) Streaming video on WiFi is very demanding. A direct dongle on the iThing and option for an external aerial would work FAR better, give far better battery life and cost a fraction.

It's basically a $6 DTT chip and a portable WiFi point. It's a nearly pointless shiny toy.

Though Elgato do make the only decent Apple Mac OSX TV tuners. But then for Windows or Linux you can use many more (almost any on Linux).

Review omission

"2) Since is connects only with WiFi, why only for iOS?"

It's not, it comes with software for Windows and OSX to stream from it too, but the review seems to have missed this altogether. Elgato are primarily a Mac/iOS supplier, so don't hold your breath for any other platform, though.

It is expensive, but saying that a USB dongle would do a better job does slightly miss the point. I travel quite a lot and often find that I can only get a usable signal on my portable DTT stick if the aerials are against the window, but in a lot of hotel rooms there is nowhere to put my laptop that's anywhere near the window. The only solution I have at the moment is to carry long extension leads and run them around the room, which is a massive pain; something like this could potentially be quite useful.

But not at that price, that's silly.

Silver badge

I wonder...

what the TV licensing people have to say about this.

If you use a USB dongle for freeview, you are covered by your home TV license with a laptop as long as the laptop is running on battery. As soon as you plug it in, you have to be covered by a valid license for the premises you are in.

The important thing appears to be that the receiving device is battery powered.

This thing looks like it is battery powered, so you can plug your laptop into the mains with impunity! I'm sure that there will be debate about this, but this is how I read it.

I also wonder how leakage into adjacent properties not covered by a license will be seen by the TV licensing people.

Z80

@enigmatix

I'm <10 miles from the transmitter I get freeview from but there's a small amount of terrain blocking a direct line-of-sight to my aerial. I only get 2 of the 6 multiplexes with any reliability. There was a great web site I used to plot the line-of-sight against the intervening terrain but I can't remember the name of it now...

According to the information of www.ukfree.tv the transmission power of the various multiplexes will increase from the 10KW they're all at now to either 50KW or 100KW when the analogue signal is switched off on 30/10/12.

I don't watch much telly so I'm going to wait to see what improvement that makes rather than shell-out for a better aerial now. Maybe then I'll get rid of my 24" CRT TV and get something more befitting the 21st century.

This topic is closed for new posts.