Feeds

back to article Robot pirate invented in USA: 'Yarr-2 D-2'?

An American firm has developed a cunning, beercan-sized robot which can be shot out of a gun, stick to the side of a ship magnetically, and then climb up the ship's side in the fashion of a pirate with a knife or cutlass between his teeth. Developers Recon Robotics insist that the droid buccaneer is actually intended for anti- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Terminator

Asimov's laws of robotics

"We hope to ... further develop this robot and quickly bring it and the marsupial robot deployment system to market. In the future this system might also include other payloads and sensors which would increase its versatility and expand its mission profile."

Obviously given their hostile mission scenario, they'll soon be having these things armed so once they can identify them from hostages they can also take out the pirates. But what happens when someone uploads software making one of these robokillers self aware and they decide all humans are the enemy ?

Silver badge
Terminator

I suppose...

If you throw it back into the sea it will say "No hard feelings" in a rather high-pitched voice.

Silver badge
Happy

nah

it'll blow up. Anti tamper you see.

Pirate

Magnets hey,

The day they make ships from aluminium or wood or plastic this device will become obsolete. Lets hope this day will never come........ ah.

However.... Yarr!

Silver badge
Pirate

Wooden pirate ships

sounds like the Black Pearl to me.

Yarrrr!!!!!

Coat

It's not just the hull, but also what's on it.

What other countermeasures come to mind to trap our intrepid, paint-roller robot?

Barnacles.

Silver badge
Pirate

On the other hand...

it's intended to be fired at the ship, so maybe it will sink anything with a weaker hull...

Welcome

I for one...

... wish to welcome our new robot overlord admirals!

Gold badge
IT Angle

Very clever

How much actual *use* will it be?

Fired out of a cannon.

I do wonder how well this little fella will stick.

I've thrown some pretty big magnets at magnetic surfaces and generally they just bounce off until you start talking about the extremely heavy, extremely rare and expensive magnets that weigh several kilograms at least.

My arm isn't anywhere near the power of a cannon. Seeing that little rolling robot all i see is

*shot fired*

*hits hull*

*bounces into ocean*

*sinks*...

Pirate

They are the Robot Pirates?

Made from metal from their heads to their privates?

http://youtu.be/-XLgpReEkLc

Shaking it like a sword with a dead guy on it.

Pint

Paint it

Make it look like a soda can and they'll prolly ignore it if they see it sitting in a corner too.

This topic is closed for new posts.