Feeds

back to article Pakistani IT admin leaks bin Laden raid on Twitter

Before Osama bin Laden knew that a squadron of US Navy Seals was approaching his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan, their approach had been tweeted to the world by a 33-year-old IT admin, Sohaib Athar. Tweeting under the username shared by his personal blog, RealityVirtual, Athar reported on the unfolding "complicated situation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Pint

A Well Done!

..to the SEAL team that got 'im. First one's on me, lads.

Bronze badge

Given the body disappeared so quickly...

Isn't there more than the tiniest possibility he's not dead, but is as we speak hooked up to an intravenous, sanity wrecking, dick shrivelling, truth serum in a deep dark hole where no one will ever find him. Its not as though anyone is going be able to rescue him or that there are many people in the world that would want to try or even know how to start. I for one won't be out on the streets demanding evidence due process has been followed. Why kill him if he has so much knowledge of operations around the world ?

Thumb Up

That would be even better...

nuff said.

Alien

tiniest possibility he's not dead?

> Given the body disappeared so quickly. Isn't there more than the tiniest possibility he's not dead, but is as we speak hooked up to an intravenous, sanity wrecking, dick shrivelling, truth serum in a deep dark hole where no one will ever find him, SuccessCase

And not only that, Navy Seals didn't ever capture him, it was a bunch of space aliens, the ones with secret underground bases in the Antarctic, the ones the Nazis used to develop anti-gravity and death rays ..

Bronze badge

Don't know why you would mock the question

So you think you understand what the limits of the CIA's operations do you? I'm hardly asserting a wacky or outlandish conspiracy claim. Merely reflecting its not at all beyond the bounds of possibility. Asking a question does not a conspiracy theory make. Nor is it a conspiracy theory to reflect on the fact there is a possible ethical and a strong strategic argument for doing so. Indeed if a government were to deal strongly and privately with a self-confessed terrorist such as Bin Laden is, it would hardly count as a conspiracy at all; amounting to little more than a conspiracy to exercise practical discretion. But where I am asking a reasonable question and professing no knowledge, I guess you are so knowledgeable and certain I must be a fool to debate with you.

Anonymous Coward

So now that...

... the US have swiftly and decisively won the war on terror, in hardly any time at all, how soon are they going to be pulling out of Afghanistan, Iraq etc.

Not that I'm in the slightest bit sceptical that this occurred before the 10th anniversary of 911, or that the US will use this as an excuse to simply abandon the mess they've created in the middle east.

They did not create it, they improved it

The Middle Eastern and North African mess (TM) was created by Great Britain, France and Italy.

US and USSR only improved on a "stellar" piece of work

@Anton Ivanov -- Correct.

Precisely correct.

...Tragically.

@Anton Ivanov

"The Middle Eastern and North African mess (TM) was created by Great Britain, France and Italy.

US and USSR only improved on a "stellar" piece of work"

No! The mess these countries are in today are created by *their* governments. It is wrong to try to blame GB, France, Italy for something which happened over 60 years ago. The middle east countries (and African dictatorships, which were once part of the British Empire) have had over 60 years to become the countries they are today. You need to be blaming individuals, the presidents, within these countries for the problems they have.

Thumb Up

Best Commentary so far

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/war/we-will-recover-from-this%2c-pledge-fearmongers-201105033765/

Silver badge

@TkH11

To quote LBJ:

"You do not wipe away the scars of centuries by saying: Now you are free to go where you want, and do as you desire, and choose the leaders you please. You do not take a person who, for years, has been hobbled by chains and liberate him, bring him up to the starting line of a race and then say, 'you are free to compete with all the others,' and still justly believe that you have been completely fair"

Silver badge

Proof?

Proof is hard to come by, but there are a lot of former colonies to study.

I can't help comparing Vietnam with Zimbabwe. Vietnam was first colonised, then carpet-bombed by a super-power. Despite this (and a subsequent detour into communism) it's become a halfway decent country to live in. At least by comparison with Zimbabwe, which escaped the carpet-bombing. Then there's South Africa, which shares a very similar history with Zimbabwe, up until its first democratic election. Or Liberia, which never was a colony, and turned itself into hell anyway (or rather, a few of its people did so, with the rest powerless).

Looks to me like the influence of the former colonial power fades pretty quickly, compared to the influence of the politicians or megalomaniacs running the show afterwards.

Silver badge

Yes, but...

...did anyone really notice until after the "real" news reports? If a story is broken but there is no-one to hear it, does it matter?

Happy

I'm pretty sure

a lot of people are watching the twittersphere for words like 'explosion', "ground shaking", etc.

Google realtime search is a nice way for doing it.

Exactly

Nobody cared. Same as usual on twitter.

The brave new world is not here and is not going to be here anytime soon until the signal to noise ratio of Twitter becomes on par with CNN.

Thumb Up

@Anton Ivanov -- Correct!

Correct again.

Gold badge

Re: I'm pretty sure

"a lot of people are watching the twittersphere for words like 'explosion', "ground shaking", etc."

And how many million hits do they have to trawl through to find the ones that matter?

I think the OP has a fair point. None of these new media actually beat the old media to the punch, except with forensic levels of hindsight.

Bronze badge

Yep

"just had an explosion in my pants. It was ground shaking"

Of course, this being the internet, it's odds on that these are the results that matter to you. (For a random value of 'you")

Anonymous Coward

Funny to see abbottabad on google earth...

Every building with a wall or a hedge has a few markers saying 'Osama Bin Ladens compound'

One of them is clearly marked on google maps as a girls school :-)

WTF?

Playmobil ...

Or it didn't happen.

Bronze badge

Not a time for cynicism...

Hopefully, the MayDay reconciliation for OBL's crimes will be used to bring together parties that found him to be a divisive force.

Not guaranteed, but we all have a vested interest in it...

@Beachrider.

Only if.

Silver badge

Not a time for cynicism...

Cynicism no. Sketicism always!

Bronze badge

Hmmm

Not convinced this is going to change anything much tbh. It might be "one in the eye" for al-Qaeda but I'm sure they have equally clever types waiting in the wings.

Unfortunate that they couldn't take him alive ... that, and chucking his body overboard hours later, are sure to delight the conspiracy theorists and could even add a new dimension to his "legend".

Now's when I need that :| icon.

Anonymous Coward

@hmmmmm

"Unfortunate that they couldn't take him alive..."

I don't suppose shooting him in the head ( if BBc press reports are to be belived ) helped in that respect.

Anonymous Coward

@Hmmm

They'll be telling us Elvis is dead next! How long before bin Laden is seen in a supermarket?

Go

I used to wear a big bushy beard in the Chinese winter

while over there teaching in the early 2000's. All the locals swore I looked like Bin Larden. I don't even have any Mid-east ancestry - a mix of Germanic, Norse and Celtic, so it may have been a case of "all foreigners look the same" though.

Joke

Thats all bullsh*t...

... the SEALS never killed him... Bin Laden was the final boss on the new ZA 5 man. Me & four others from the guild downed him last night. He dropped an epic turban & a rare camel mount. Would I lie?

Thumb Up

@Lord Lien -- Good one!

Of course you wouldn't lie, now would you?

What a privilege to meet someone who's been on tougher training than the seals (and who's lived to tell the tale).

;-)

SS or it never happened.

Lies... It's a 25-man raid only.

Captain Hindsight says....

...just look for a massive house with no telephone lines.

Silver badge

Is it a leak

Is a witness report by someone not part of the team a "leak"?

I don't think so.

Thumb Down

Spy story it aint

Agreed, the title is misleading. I was expecting the story to be about some IT guy that was sniffing pakastani networks and picked up some official government chatter.

Stop

Bin Laden is dead!

What wonderful news - all terrorism worldwide will presumably cease in the next twenty-four hours.

Thumb Up

Yay!

Does that mean I can carry soda pop onto a plane now? Huzzah! No more shoes-and-belts-off security theatre...

Black Helicopters

Is it just me

Or is the whole burial at sea thing highly suspect?

WTF?

agreed

I'm sure the Global Humane Society has the chap in an orange jump suit somewhere warm and Guantanamo-ish.....and are testing their cattle prod collection on him.

If I got the news item via email, I'd say it's spam. Just too good to be true, too timely, too great for Obama Bin Laden.....

@mr-tom -- Not suspect but with reason (and there's a 66-year old precedent too).

After WW-II, those who found themselves victors over the Nazis (the US and its allies), disposed of the remains of the most despicable and disreputable members of the Third Reich (after having been found guilty at the Nuremberg trials), by scattering their remains to wind and to water.

This ensured that devotees, zealots and remaining followers etc., had no martyr's shrine upon which to worship.

[Back in 1945/6, being found guilty by the Nuremberg war crimes trials was a prerequisite for a war criminal to be executed by the State. Seemingly, that's no longer the case: although the Nazis killed millions, they were afforded the proper judicial process of a trial; bin Laden who killed just thousands was deliberately and summarily executed without trial. In WWII, somewhere between 50 and 100 million people died as a direct consequence of Nazi/dictatorship aggression.]

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

I was thinking it was something like that too.

Hard to build a shrine on open water!

Anonymous Coward

Except ...

"After WW-II, those who found themselves victors over the Nazis (the US and its allies), disposed of the remains of the most despicable and disreputable members of the Third Reich (after having been found guilty at the Nuremberg trials), by scattering their remains to wind and to water."

Except for the ones they let go to America without any legal due process at all during Operation Paperclip.

Silver badge
Joke

Ive always wondered about this...

Surely let him have a grave somewhere with a camera pointed at it, and simply watch who comes to visit. Anyone who does is most likely a person you should be watching! There simples, weve identified all the terrorists!

What could possibly go wrong with this idea?

Anonymous Coward

agreed + 1

Is it not unreasonable to ask for proof of death?

Anonymous Coward

@Graham Wilson

>bin Laden who killed just thousands

Tut-tut, don't you realise 3000 US lives are worth more than 50-100 million of any other sort.

Another observation , the plaque that is often seen showing Obama 1 - Osama 0, shouldn't that read Obama 1 - Osama 3000?

Black Helicopters

Or perhaps...

If one subscribed to certain "conspiracy" or "alternate news" theories (depending on ones level of belief) then:

a) He used his CIA "get out of jail free" card and is now off to a nice new life somewhere with a decent razor. (This relies on the idea his operation was created/assisted by the CIA when he was working with the original anti-russian fighters in Afganistan.)

b) He was killed to ensure that no "unfortunate" information leaked out after his capture. (See also the rush of serious illness amongst the displaced middle east dictators. None seem too likely live to see trial and/or embarrassing memoirs.)

If one gets at all "tin hat" there are far more complex and vaguely factual options and theories too. After all that list doesn't even consider "who setup 9/11" or why did Bush reject an offer to surrender him in 2001 (if true).

Bronze badge

Yes, but...

I'm fairly confident that none of the Nazis arrested after the war ever wore suicide vests, or vowed death to all western devils and stuff?

Happy

How many...

....yanks thought that the president had been killed?

Coffee/keyboard

Nice one

and under-appreciated if you ask me!

Re: How many...

Thought? I think you mean "hoped".

Bronze badge

At least 1

A news anchor on Fox reported that the President just confirmed that "President Obama is in fact, dead"

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.