Feeds

back to article Toshiba readies über-thin 7in touchscreen

Seven-inch tablets may soon become rather thinner than they currently are. Toshiba has taken the wraps off a 7in, 1024 x 600 touchscreen that's a mere millimetre thick. The so-called "low-temperature poly-silicon (LTPS) TFT LCD" panel incorporates capacitive touchscreen tech right into the LCD structure. Toshiba LTPS …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Happy

In-Car Displays

I notice they have an imitation faux-walnut veneer background; aiming for the discerning buyer in the luxury car market.

g e
Silver badge

Just now need...

... Motorola, HTC, LG to buy all output for the next 5 years assuming Tosh have a patent on it preventing anyone else skinnifying their displays.

Sorry, Apple, you'll need a new USP than 'thinnest'

Thumb Down

Bezel too small

It's nice that it's so thin, but how are you supposed to hold it without touching the screen? This seems to be a recurring problem with all these new tablets. You need a bezel at least 1.5cm - 2cm around the screen in order to have something to hold that is not the screen itself.

Anonymous Coward

Not necessarily

That is certainly true for the larger size screens, but on a 7 inch or smaller it could be narrow enough that in portrait mode you would hold it on the edge, not the bezel, just like a phone. You would likely still need a sufficient bezel on the short ends though for use in the landscape orientation.

It would be almost exactly the same size as a typical paperback book, only thinner. When someone makes one in this configuration then they will have hit the right size. Big enough to be usable yet small enough to fit in a coat pocket.

FAIL

Fail

You do realize the photo is a cropped, shopped image right? The screen can have any size of bezel a manufacturer wants to put around it. The image is likely a in-car dash demo unit, not a tablet.

Silver badge

Sir

Am I the only one that doesn't really like all this touchscreeniness goings on? Whatever happened to voice control? And mind control for that matter, I'd like some more progress in that area please.

Megaphone

Humm...

I think not.

What would be useful...

...is to make the devices the same size and use the extra space for battery...

This topic is closed for new posts.