back to article Vote now for the best sci-fi film never made

Note: This poll is now closed. Thanks to all of you who voted. You can see the final result below... Poll Results Well, the time has come to vote for the best sci-fi movie never made from the list of 50 heavyweight contenders nominated by you, our beloved readers. Before getting down to it, we'd like to point out that we' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Another One
    Happy

No ALL button?

'Tis a shame there is no "ALL".

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

"If you can't resist voting more than once, come back in an hour for another go."

Woot! Can we have a countdown to voting too so we can optimise our time for the next ....how long is the poll open for again?

1. Naughtyhorse

or....

at least AV <liddle bid-a-politics there>

2. Code Monkey

all

Not voting at all is effectively a vote for all.

2. The Jay

What about...

So there are a couple of Heinlein entries, however, Stranger in a Strange Land (despite being my choice) would make an epic movie that would be rubbish compared to the book...

Now if "I Shall Fear No Evil" was up there, THAT would be an awesome movie... the weird twists and dark undertones would make it not only a strong philosophical Sci-Fi but would also be quite a chiller...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

(Off topic) I would have liked...

A proper adaptation of Starship Troopers.. The Voerhoeven one was sooooooo bad.... The book itself is so interesting on so many levels not explored in the film.

1. lawman

I'm glad

that my choice "Legacy of Heorot" by Niven, Barnes & Pournelle" is unlikely to be made into a film. Having witnessed the travesty that is Starship Troopers I can't imagine what Hollywood would do to screw up such a good story.

I mean- the whole point about Starship Troopers is that Heinlein was questioning the way our democracy works, about how the right to vote is a right to be earned. The whole war against the bugs is just the backdrop. And Voerhoeven made a film about the backdrop. Doh!

Every time I reread the book I'm amazed that Heinlein wrote the book to be read by teenagers. He'd been putting out books featuring teenage heroes for about ten years but his publisher turned it down. He took it to another publisher who released it to the mainstream sci-fi market and the rest is history. Without the success of Starship Troopers there would have been no "Stranger in a Strange Land" (which kind of influenced Bowie's film "The Man Who Fell To Earth") and my life would have been poorer for it.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: I'm glad

Verhoeven is a lot more subversive than people think he is. Of course Starship Troopers wasn't just about the bugs.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

I don't know Verhoeven's style all that well

But, Sarah, if you've not done so already, read Heinlein's Starship Troopers and then compare the themes presented by both. I think you will see there is a big difference.

Some of the most memorable passages in the book are the discussions between the protagonist and his moral philosophy instructor. As noted by a poster above for example, the argument of the franchise to vote being something that has to be earned. Other interesting discussions are on the reasons of why wars should be fought, why infantry will always be needed...

Verhoeven made the film into a satire of right wingedness, which is hardly true to the book. It was truly sickening.

Although this is less of an issue (it's not central to the book to me), to add insult to injury, he made the MobiIe Infantry seem lame - the Japanese anime potrayed the MI in their gorilla suits truer to the novel, but I guess they're used to this powered suit/mecha type thing I guess....

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't know Verhoeven's style all that well...

Erm... So you wanted a film full of intense polemic ...?

You must be French.

3. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

This is hard...

I dunno, I dunno, I dunno.... I'll have to go re-read some of these.

1. Trollslayer
      Thumb Up

Agreed

One of the best things about this poll.

4. Nash
    WTF?

HG Wells

Where is War of the Worlds???

or Blade Runner???

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Reading...

Not your strong point?

2. Heynonynonymous
      FAIL

Umm....

Haven't they already been made into films?

3. Mage Silver badge

Where is?

<<Where is War of the Worlds???

or Blade Runner???>>

Because this is a list of Films that have never been made.

"War of the Worlds" made about x5 if you count DVD of Jeff Wayne's (which is better to watch than most of the "straight" flims), not counting the at least two sequels!

Blade Runner is the FILM title. The book is "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

4. Andy Fletcher

Shame...

...sorry Nash, looks like at least nine people don't know what irony is eh? Or worse, 9 people thought those were "films" rather than "crimes against humanity".

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Shame Fail

I'm sure we know perfectly well what irony is, however the following quote is taken from the original article:

"Your nomination should not ever have been made into a film, no matter how bad the result"

So while irony may have been the intent, the result was far more like idiocy.

1. Andy Fletcher
          Thumb Up

So in summary....

My reply to Nash's ironic posting was in itself idiotic but not to be outdone my idiot post has been replied by a pedantic one. Everybody wins!

1. Richard Scratcher
            Alien

What about War of the Worlds II ?

The Earth Strikes Back?

Plot:

We capture a Fighting Machine, learn how to make 'em ourselves and then wallop!

Our turn to do some wiping out! Whoosh with our Heat Ray.

Whoosh! And them running and dying, beaten at their own game.

Man on top again!

1. John G Imrie

Re: What about War of the Worlds II

There's one problem with your plot. You missed the part where humanity is wiped out by the Common Martian Splob virus.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

@John G Imrie

There is an answer to that:

With just a handful of men,

We'll start,

We'll start all over again!

Take a look around you at the world we've come to know,

Does it seem to be much more than a crazy circus show?

Maybe from the madness something beautiful will grow...

2. Captain DaFt
              Alien

You never heard of the sequel, "Edison's Conquest of Mars"?

Written by Garrett Putman Serviss, it was the first Science fiction story to feature disintegrator guns, space suits, and the first book to claim the Martians built the pyramids.

It was written as a sequel to "War of The Worlds", and it is one of the cheesiest, Deus Ex Machina filled books you'll ever read! Here's the Gutenburg link if anyone's interested:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19141

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

That's largely the plot of Footfall

The major plot elements of Footfall go:

* Aliens attempt to invade earth

* Humans (Merkins naturally) build a homebrew war machine

* Humans kick relevant portions of alien anatomy

* Aliens surrender

* Humans win.

4. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
              Stop

War of the worlds II

Actually, there was a (at least one! possibly more) pulp sci fi novel sequel, I just can't remember what it was called. Apparently Thomas Edison or some scientist of the period discovered some way to make space ships and as the story went we went up to Mars to whup ass... I'm shitting you not, I just can't remember the title. Yes, it was forgettable.

5. IsJustabloke
              Stop

I refuse to enoble a simple forum post!

Actually, there is already a "War of teh worlds II" its shown ad nauseum on the horror channel, which TBF is the best place for it because it is truly horrible

5. Conrad Longmore
      WTF?

I think you'll find..

I think you'll find that they've been filmed already..

6. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

rather missed the point there Nash I'm afraid

7. Willington

Um...

Have you ever seen any of the movies on this list?

8. Iainn

House Rules

Difficult to decide whether this is a simple troll as we've now had 2 previous topics on this... or if this guy just missed the bus.

9. Dapprman
      FAIL

Did you read the title ?

Firstly War of the Words - been made as a movie 2 or 3 times now and also has had a TV series.

Secondly Blade Runner - this was Only a movie, and I challenge you to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and think it's a great book.

5. irish donkey
    Unhappy

Wot no multiple votes

what sort of democracy is this...?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

We want AV!!

How the fuck am I supposed to choose just one! Impossible.

2. Willington

No AV here!

Quite clearly a FPTP system.

Vote for AV!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

dont you mean

"wot, no AV"?

4. lglethal Silver badge
      Go

Its called Plurality Voting

Also known as First-Past-The-Post...

But your welcome to turn any of the other ones into movies as you like... Just follow the rules about Michael Bay, Paris and Lindsay Lohan, ok?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

So many choices...

Found myself scanning the list, picking one, then changing it as I continued down the list, thinking oooh, now that one would be... no, wait, this one... aargh! Can't we just have them all?

7. irish donkey
    Happy

Rendezvous With Rama

Not sure if I want to see this made by Hollyruined!

Better just watch this short on Vimeo instead: http://vimeo.com/1989082

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Seriously?

You've now posted that link enough times that I will have to take a look tonight when I get home.

One thing though, are you Aaron Ross?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. irish donkey
        Happy

Just too good to miss....

And no I'm not Aaron.

if I had the money I would give it to him just to see the whole film.

Just trying to help out ther poor creatives.

enjoy when you get home and challenge you not to say WOW!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

Wow!

Spot on! That was well worth the watch, hell of a talented guy. Thanks for the link. I'd recommend it to anyone else reading...

8. John I'm only dancing

The Creeping Terror

Was a brillant film so I'm not sure CGI type remake would do it justice

1. Jake Rialto 1
      Coat

Never heard of that one...let me Google it.

From Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Creeping_Terror

The Creeping Terror is widely considered to have been one of the worst films of all time...

9. liquidphantom

Where...

the hell was Market Forces on that list?

1. Gordon 10

Coz it's inferior to altered carbon

Good book but see above

10. Mage Silver badge
    Alert

ohhhhhhhh

Too hard....

Possibly pick what will be good Hollywood and won't look trash compared to book.

i.e. Footfall rather than Foundation.

11. Goatan
    Alert

lensmen

Sure I saw a manga animation of this ages ago

1. Cthonus
      Coat

Mr

Lensman was an anime series from the mid 80's but diverged wildly from the original books.

Dorsai I believe is currently being made as a *children's* series... (http://sciencefictionworld.com/tv/science-fiction-tv/493-gordon-r-dicksons-dorsai-to-be-filmed.html).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.