Feeds

back to article US Army to issue Droid dev kit in July

The US Army has announced that it will soon throw open an Android dev kit allowing apps to be written for use by soldiers on a variety of combat handsets and devices. The military Droid framework is known as Mobile/Handheld Computing Environment (CE). "Using the Mobile /Handheld CE Product Developers Kit, we're going to allow …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Droids

So can we expect these in future to sport wheels and 3d projectors....

Anonymous Coward

First app will be ..

Angry Warbirds

Coat

Or...

For those still working in Iraq, Angry Kurds

Mine's the one with... ah what's the use?

Black Helicopters

Interesting...

So what happens to the Oracle / Google suit?

Is Google now too big to 'fail'?

Actually since the US Army isn't writing the OS but using the phone, they aren't going to be the target of any lawsuit, unless they've hardened the underlying OS...

Anonymous Coward

Stovepiped?

Not familiar with that term. Does it mean everything you do / type / browse / call / store / snap or think is reported back to the chocolate factory? Android with the core spyware removed and a default policy that no task has access to anything but it's own data would be rather cool.

Stovepiped

new one on me too. wikipedia thinks it expresses multiple disjoint parallel systems piping information from the field up to the top and thereby losing context.

Grenade

What happens when..

the 'enemy' steals one, or just picks one up from a dead squadie. By any chance the app for showinf where friendly forces are, now becomes 'where targets are' mapping.

rrr

I'm pretty sure there'll be an easy way to disable the device remotely, i.e. based on the vitals of the fallen soldier, basic radio contact (acknowledgements), etc.

I think most important in Blue tracking is how correct it'll be. I.e. precision to 1, 5 or 20 meters? Can they be used when assaulting a building.. etc..

This topic is closed for new posts.