Google has unveiled a new service that lets businesses upload, process, and share mapping data via its familiar Google Maps and Google Earth platforms. Announced today and scheduled for general availability in the third quarter, Google Earth Builder is meant to replace old-school GIS (geospatial information system) desktop …
This will THOROUGHLY upset...
Many proprietary developers of GIS software, some real estate/realty offices.
If it turns into people "outting" undisclosed, private (vs non-public) commercial entites, some will be upset. Imagine people paying daily visits to offce parks, skyscrapers, and other buildings to pore over tenant boards/lists and roam halways sniffing WI-FI to determine what types of businesses are behind unlabled, locked, mysterious doors.
Some government agencies will like it if it helps them reassess properties and to sleuth out corporate tax scofflaws.
Politicians will love it if it helps them redistrict, though...
Shades of Wikipedia
Will the information be accurate? Who's going to check it? Worse - who's going to assume it's correct?
The Data Grabbers! Another example of how Google wants to intrude into every aspect of human life.
- Updated + vids WHOA: Get a load of Asteroid DX110 JUST MISSING planet EARTH
- Very fabric of space-time RIPPED apart in latest Hubble pic
- 10 years of Facebook Inside Facebook's engineering labs: Hardware heaven, HP hell – PICTURES
- Dell charges £16 TO INSTALL FIREFOX on PCs – Mozilla is miffed
- Google! and! Facebook! IDs! face! Yahoo! login! BAN!