back to article Calling all readers: Want some new icons?

We at the El Reg Central Overseeing Commenter Soviet are considering whether to expand the available spread of comments icons to include some news images - the better for you, our beloved readers, to express yourselves with wit and elegance. Our existing comments icons If you reckon we need some fresh images to add to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. R J Tysoe

we need...

Julian Assange angel and devil icons.

1. Wize
      Joke

An icon for those...

...idiots who reply to the first post just to get their post near the top of page 1.

Erm... hold on...

2. R J Tysoe

And probably...

Lewis Page angel and devil icons.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Devil icon only?

Seriously, I appreciate controversial, clear writing - whether I agree or not. Therefore 'thumb up' will do for me regarding Page.

2. Marvin the Martian
      Linux

Let's add more clutter

There's demands for love+hate Fry, love+hate Assange, love+hate zuckerberg, love+hate Facebook --- it will never end. There's already a love (heart), so just a generic hate will do and remove this clutter.

Actually, remove the gates/jobs icons; it's a false dichotomy anyway with an Ellison and a Ballmer to object to etc etc.

3. MrT
      Welcome

Surely for Lewis...

...it'd be "Lewis as Rambo" or "Lewis as CND poster-boy".

Not sure which is "good" and which is "bad" though...

4. Patrick R
      Pirate

Minister of Information

Can we have Lewis Page dressed as Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf ?

3. peyton?

"add" to?

It's getting a bit cluttered down there dontcha think? Personally would rather not spend 10 minutes hunting for 'that perfect icon'.

Now replacing some with new and improved versions - that idea I like!

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: "add" to?

Yup, we're also mulling retiring a few of the old ones. We'll see how it goes.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Some stats please?

As in, tally all the icons used and some table (or a fancy pie graph or whatever, knock yourself out) tabulating the percentages? Ask the local db-botherer for the raw numbers, assuming the back-end is a db with a botherer. Oh and I don't think links dragged into the message should count as "used this icon", no.

Ideally we'd also tally all the times someone asked for an icon or used an icon "because no $other icon". But, well, that's more freeform text search type work, so more effort.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
        Badgers

Retirement

I don't even understand this one.

I can't stand "Paris" or "I'll get my coat" but I'd be pretty surprised if those two get culled.

I imagine you've got the usage statistics to help you decide which ones need to go though.

2. MisterPhillip
      Go

MIsterPhillip

So, where are the icons? New to the site and have NO clue how to actually view and save them. Help? From the non-flamers, if plausible?

4. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Up

Do bears......etc

And / or No shit, Sherlock.

1. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Up

Hear hear!

For all those stories from the Department of the Bleedin' Obvious!

1. MrT

Photoshop needed...

...Sherlock looking puzzled as he examines a clean toilet bowl through a magnifying glass

Maybe just the word "Obvious" dripping with blood...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Like the sherlock idea..

.. but it might be a little too detailed for a small icon. How about Captain Obvious' superhero cape?

5. Alien Doctor 1.1

The beer icon...

it needs to be changed to Real Ale not that lager or Boddingtons stuff it currently appears to. Maybe a nice bottle of King Goblin or Hobgoblin.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Alien Doctor 1.1
        Pint

Poof?

A footstool?

Never in these enlightened P.C. times; I would call it a beverage of uncertain LGBT persuasion ;)

1. Alien Doctor 1.1

Apology goes here

Sorry, having found out that Proper Job is a St. Austell brew (from which part of heaven comes High Speed Death), then my apology is heartfelt, gutfelt, consciousnessfelt and wholly deserved.

2. skeptical i

"of uncertain LGBT persuasion"? Ew. "Probably radically inclusive" much mo'better

and less confrontational than "not het". Not that this has anything to do with the robustness (or lack thereof) of the beverage in question, mind you, since beverage choice runs the gamut from the deepest blackest stouts and trippelbocks to the lightest "lite" yellow fizzy water among LGBTQ quaffers.

As for icons, how about a "meh smiley" -- with a horizontal line where the smile would be if it were denoting joy -- the one that's usually typed :| (colon pipe)?

2. Eponymous Cowherd
      Joke

Trouble with that real ale stuff

It tends to make you:

Grow a big bushy beard and large gut.

Think socks with sandals is a good look.

Appreciate the finer point of morris dancing.....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

One more problem with drinking real ale

As well as becoming a morris dancing beardy-weirdy, you also turn into a grumpy old git with no sense of humour.

1. Alien Doctor 1.1

Hmmm, maybe not...

I started morris dancing then took up archery - if you'd like do discuss this I'd be more than willing to meet you on the field sometime.

b.t.w. I can't even grow a frickin' beard - all I get is an visage akin to Zappa

1. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

OK, buddy

Your real ale and bow vs my bourbon and 12 gauge?

1. Alien Doctor 1.1

Hmmm

You won't see me sneaking up on you (although you may smell the hops) and I'll have an arrow in your head before you can raise the shotty.

I use a 100lb longbow (bickerstaff) with homemade arrows (and I don't buy the dowels from B&Q) and a team hoyt recurve (60lbs) with 32.75" carbon fibre arrows.

2. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

Nah, that's just what happens when you discover....

....that the world is totally fucked and unfixable, and you're being taxed to make it worse instead of better.

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
        Pint

Socks with sandals

I personally find that sandals with socks is far preferable to sandals and naked feet, bent toes, broken nails, cracked heels, corns and all.

As long as they are tidy and relatively clean, I can only find fashion reasons against wearing socks, whereas I can find many, many reasons for wearing them, and I am completely unrepentant in this attitude.

When it comes down to it, it really depends on how much a slave to fashion you are.

I've never grown a beard, and morris dancing has only a passing interest, but the rest applies!

1. Alien Doctor 1.1

Socks and Sandals

I'm fast approaching 50 y.o. and, even though I can somewhat agree with you, I find my mind harping back to the late 70's early 80's and the festivals - after trekking back from the late night artist socks were just a regal pain in the arse:; leave 'em in the tent and you'd wake up to a chemical warfare attack, leave 'em outside and they'd be full of nasties.

I prefer a decent pair of hiking sandals and nothing else.

1. Alien Doctor 1.1

When I mentioned...

"nothing else", I meant what I was wearing on my feet - I was always clad in tie-dye, denim and whatever else I could remember to put on while completely wasted on several flavours of hash and weed (and lots of Real Ale).

Then I went back to fixing equipment whilst working at Burroughs, then Unisys then...somewhere else...

2. Mike Flugennock
            Thumb Up

re: socks and sandals

Right on, there, man. Cripes, if it's cold enough out that you need socks, just put on some goddamn' shoes.

For the warm part of the year, I've got a pair of nice sturdy hiking sandals, and flip-flops for those summer days when I'm feeling really lazy, but the wife needs me to run down to the corner grocery.

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

@Alien Doctor 1.1 re. chemical warfare attack

I did say "clean". I would be interested (in an academic sense - I have no dirty sock fetish) in finding out what made your socks such foul things. If you wore them for days on end, or paddled through mud in them, or maybe didn't wash your feet than I can understand. If your feet get wet, then maybe the choice of sandals was wrong in the first place.

Maybe I'm lucky, but my socks come off at the end of the day only a little more smelly than they were at the beginning, and even less so if I have been wearing sandals..

3. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit
        Joke

@Trouble with that real ale stuff

Whats the matter lager boy, afraid you might taste something?

6. David Evans

I've said it before...

...and I'll say it again; we need a "(Won't Somebody Please) Think of The Children?" icon (Maude Flanders subject to copyright).

Also need an "evil google" icon to go with the Apple and MS ones (you can't get rid of Saint Steve while you're at it).

Finally, a Freetard Alert icon.

1. CD001

(Won't Somebody Please) Think of The Children?

Pedobear?

2. Mike Flugennock

Freetard alert icon?

That'd be a shot of someone's feet wearing sandals with socks.

7. ForthIsNotDead

Shrug?

We need a 'shrug' icon for those 'who-the-fuck-cares' stories :-)

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Shrug?

Er, not being arsed to comment at all sends exactly the same message.....

Hmm, this coat doesn't fit. Can we have a new icon in a size XXL please?

2. Wibble

Picture of a Frenchman

Image of a Frenchman comes to mind; beret, striped top, onions, head tilted to one side, hands held out and the word "baff" coming out.

That's what the bastard station porter did to me when he sent my bicycles on the wrong train in Nice.

1. mitch 2
        Stop

Bof

You mean Bof!

http://www.frenchduck.com/2006/12/translating_the_french_shrug.html

More subtle than Meh!

8. Rovindi

FryCon

How about some kind of StephenFryCon?

FFS as well WTF

About time you had LarryE as well. He´s always up to shennanigans.

Definitely some Assangeness required as well. Second that one.

9. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

It would be nice to have a subtle sarcasm icon, or even an irony one (like goldy or bronzy..well, you know).

1. Mark 65

Gordon Brown

Something to resemble being hoist by one's own petard for those making overly grandiose statements like bringing about the end of boom and bust shortly before a sovereign state whose finances they control almost goes tits-up.

10. LaeMing

A cup of coffee icon.

To signify "I posted this far too early in the morning".

1. Marvin the Martian
      Paris Hilton

Why?

Just delete/retract your posting, don't waste other people's time --- this icon is only useful for commenting on a shoddy comment by yourself.

1. Stoneshop
        FAIL

@Marvin

The cup of coffee is short for "I know it's early in the morning and I may not have made sense; you're free to make fun of this"

Of course, you're free to skip such postings, saving you a precious few seconds.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a few for you

Facepalm

Love/hate facebook

Stephen Fry is god and I want to have his babies

Stephen Fry is satan and should burn in hell

Pictures, or it didn't happen.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Happy

Seconded on the FacePalm

Or alternatively a Homer Simpson "D'oh!" icon.

GJC

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On that note:

Playmobil, or it didn't happen.

3. Mark 65

Pictures or it didn't happen..

What about a copper battering a photographer for indicating when someone's exercising a little control freakery?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.