AutoTrader has apologised for a hacking attack that saw its website slow to a crawl on Monday. The UK-based car sales portal blamed a "malicious third-party attack" for problems that left its site either "intermittently unavailable or extremely slow" from around mid-day on Monday until early around 2pm on Tuesday. AutoTrader …
Two people using the site at the same time more like. Awful thing that it is!
The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.
yes, it is shite
I was on autotrader around 9pm last night, and it was running like a dog (so they were certainly still having problems after 2pm). At one point, I had a Windows UAC panel pop up asking me if I wanted to allow Adobe Flash to make changes to my system. I said yes, but after reading this, I'm slightly worried. Guess I need to fire up malwarebytes and hope for the best.
That dratted Labour Party
No doubt it was those dratted unionists against, fighting against the right of the Scottish people to buy and sell cars...
Was this the DDOS?
"Marketing activities on behalf of AutoTrader, at least, went on as normal during the outage, with El Reg, among others, receiving news that the site was about to hit 1 billion page views a month."
How many of the 1bn page views per month was the DDOS?
Probably some hackers who aren't keen on the Guardian Media Group and it's tax dodging activities.
Possibly a disgruntled user sick of:
- Newish / pre-registered cars being listed on a sub-£1000 query due to traders listing them as £1.
- High mileage wrecks being listed on a sub-100k mile query due to traders listing them as 300 miles instead of 300,000.
- People not cancelling their adverts, then getting annoyed that they are still getting phone calls about the car.
Although, in all fairness, it is nowhere as horrible a place to buy and sell cars as Gumtree...
Kudos to AutoTrader
Nice bit of free advertising there, way to go!
How can they tell?
How could they tell it was running slow? The Autotrader site is one of the slowest, buggiest and most unreliable sites I've ever visited. Really really nasty, and that's before I get on to the advert pop-unders and bloody survey questionnaires every time you visit.
Rubbish site and getting worse
I wanted to place an ad for a Triumph Daytona 650 last week but they didn't have it in their lists, only the 1000's. I pointed it out to them and guess what the reply was? "Place the ad anyway then phone us and we'll make the correction for you." Straight to ebay, me.
I still can't access the site
when I go to www.autotrader.co.uk I get
You don't have permission to access "http://www.autotrader.co.uk/" on this server.
Guess they're preventing further DDoS attacks by blocking IP Ranges or something.
- Crawling from the Wreckage Want a more fuel efficient car? Then redesign it – here's how
- TV Review Doctor Who's Flatline: Cool monsters, yes, but utterly limp subplots
- Downrange Are you a gun owner? Let us in OR ELSE, say Blighty's top cops
- Facebook slurps 'paste sites' for STOLEN passwords, sprinkles on hash and salt
- Human spaceships dodge ALIEN BODY skimming Mars