back to article Yahoo! Buzz! Given! Mercy! Bullet!

Yahoo! is pulling the plug on its Buzz service, making it the latest service/product/wild goose chase to be shuttered by the company. Buzz was a Digg-alike service, which allowed users to flagup content, and add their own headlines. Thus it was that last December Buzz users were informed they could expect: "Nonce Pope to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Roger Greenwood
    Pint

I'll miss AltaVista

Like I miss steam engines and morse code.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

(untitled)

Astalavista going? surely not -- what will I do in my spare time without it? -- oh wait -- this says "altavista" -- not the REAL site at all..

(ps: don't visit the astalavista site unless you have good web security in place)

2. JB
    WTF?

Who?

Buzz? MyBlogLog?? Never heard of these till now, so much for publicity. I suppose it'll mean two fewer icons in that rogues' gallery at the bottom of every news story on the web!

3. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Pint

I Bet Digital Management Was...

...really glad to get rid of that turkey. I mean, where's the business plan in providing free search?

Sad that YAHOO! proved them right.

4. Captain DaFt
    FAIL

This is why we can't have nice new things.

Lately, every time something that looks like it might be useful or interesting, or maybe compete with something already out there shows up, some big player buys it, hypes it up, and lets it sit quietly in a corner until it's moribund, then buries it..

Notice to major web companies:

If you don't have a clear path planned for some startup you're thinking of buying, or are unwilling to to put the time, resources, or money into it to make it competitive, LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE!

If we're lucky, then in a couple of years, it might buy you, and put you out of our misery!

5. Kevin 6

altavista

"MyBlogLog will be shut as of 24 May. AltaVista appears to be still online, giving young people a hint as to what the web looked like in the last century. ®"

used to love altavista back in the day found everything I needed fast, and was easy.

Till yahoo "improved" it, than I was hard pressed to find any relevant results to what I was searching for in the 1st 4 pages.

Looks yes they kept the looks too bad they didn't keep what was under the hood that made it good.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

that's because Dec was bought by Compaq

Let's face it, before AltaVista and (early) Yahoo, doing a web search meant downloading mailing list archives and searching them by grep, logging into chat rooms at 2am and asking questions.

Amazingly enough, I just realized that the one key I never had was to the library... Admin building, check...Student Services, check...Student Union, check...Psychology, check...School of Business, check...Fine Arts, check...Liberal Arts, check... Of course, I didn't have keys to all of the dorms and their labs, but campus security had me a short list for access.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like