back to article So, what's the best sci-fi film never made?

Note: Nominations are now closed. Thanks for the stampede of sugestions. We're now ploughing through the lot to make the final selection for the poll. Watch this space... We know a lot of you are sci-fi buffs, and have your own personal feelings on what would make the ultimate sci-fi movie. The recent news that Paramount will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

I hope you've got a robust email inbox!

Prepare to be geeked!

Thumb Up

Vachina Syndrome

Nothing more to say.

Joke

Hmmm i think i downloaded that once...

... Oh wait you said vaCHina, sorry...

Moving right along....

Thumb Up

Mine are all obscure books...

"The Wall of Years" by Andrew Stephenson

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Years-Orbit-Books-Andrew-Stephenson/dp/0708880436/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302874155&sr=1-2

Silver badge

Films from obscure stuff

Robert Ramsay sez on 04.15.11 @13:45gmt:

"'The Wall of Years' by Andrew Stephenson"

Actually, I've not read that, but you do raise a very good point about how it might actually be very cool to make films out of the lesser-known stuff, if the stories are really very good.

MJI
Silver badge

Got a few

Asimov future history.

He himself glued all of them together including a set of childrens books, the robot books, Foundation series and another series.

Animated please.

-------------------

Smith Lensman series

Live action in the same style as 1930s adventures.

Niven Ring World - but a lot of his stuff the style is so dated

Live action again

-------------------

Brin Uplift series

Live action with tons of CGI, and complete with text messagers favourite alien.

-------------------

Clarke stuff

Rama?

Actually not sure

Anonymous Coward

Lensman

Oh yeah, I'd fogotten those, will have to send a new email!

FAIL

Lensman

was made into an anime film, mid 90s? I think.

Was nowhere near as good as it could have been, was more DBZ in space than Akira with aliens.

Happy

Rama?

Yes Please

Aaron Ross a student put together an 'the opening sequence' of the RAMA as a end of year project. It is hosted on Vimeo.

It was OUTSTANDING. Check it out: http://vimeo.com/1989082

re Rama

Stargate universe concept has a (too-high?) overlap to Rama

Uplift ++

Brin's Uplift would be excellent.

How about 'The Practice Effect' - only a short but so was 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'

Anonymous Coward

... Sheep

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep = 128 pages paperback. Short(?)

Sorry

An obsessed Dickhead.

Coat

Fringe

A recent Fringe episode was called "Do Shapeshifters Dream of Electric Sheep."

Silver badge

Rama?

"Rendezvous With Rama" would be good, except that the only director I'd want anywhere near it -- Stanley Kubrick -- is long dead.

And, no; I wouldn't let George Lucas anywhere _near_ any of these stories. Ridley Scott, maybe, as I thought "Blade Runner" was excellent, but Lucas? P'ah. Every "Star Wars" movie but the first one was a goddamn' toy commercial. Too bad Lucas only had one decent movie in him ("THX 1138").

Alert

Re: Lensman

Two versions, in 1984:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2043

Silver badge
WTF?

Niven animated?

Sorry but you can do Ring World and a lot of his other stuff as Live action with tons of CGI.

(Avatar shows this...)

I mean he does have a lot of good story lines that appear to have been 'borrowed' by others.

I'd love to see a puppeteer!

Silver badge

Seconded!

"Brin Uplift series"

The Uplift saga would make a few good-to-spectacular movies depending on who did the adaptation and who directed it.

Some of Ring world has been done. I rented The Colour of Magic a couple years back. The books are good, but the movie didn't do it justice (but isn't that always the case?)

FAIL

Niven Ring World... and the computer said:

X ug-uuugh X

I was quite enjoying it.... and then all the characters got bored.... and went home.

The End.

Foundation gets my vote too

title said it all

Pint

Re: Got A Few

The Foundation series places the whole of humanity's future in the hands of a secretive band of self-appointed back stage manipulators, answerable to no one.

It is the primal conspiracy theory, given a geek's adolescent intellectual gloss.

Heinlein's Future History always struck me as more open, more interesting and more human.

Thumb Up

Do

Do Androids dream of electric sheep was made into that very good movie Blade Runner

actually...

It was a film AND a 25-ep series.

Was also done in 1984, and was, if I remember correctly, the first time computer animation had been used in an anime.

Lensman...

...is being made by JMS. Google it.

Mike

E 2
Stop

@Mike Flugennock

No arg wrt Star Wars.

In the general category of dystopic futures, THX1138 was terrible!

Problems with THX1138:

- Where exactly did the drone guy learn to drive futuristic Lamborginis like a professional driver and handle handguns like a pro?

- In such a tightly controlled society, why is access to the underground roadways he escapes into not limited?

- At the end of the movies the drone guy escapes to 'outside', but we never see what is outside!

THX1138 lived up exactly to Lucas' low standards. It is 90-odd minutes of loose ends and unanswered questions.

THX1138 was a knock-off effort by Lucas merely playing on California nanny-state.

Re: irish donkey Rama short

That is awesome, not to be missed.

http://vimeo.com/1989082

Alien

I'd love to see a puppeteer!

There was an episode of the cartoon star trek based exactly on a Niven short story. Spock played the puppeteer role. I just cannot remember which story it was.

Lensman

yea I saw that waist of plastic.Lensman is a great series of books, but will they keep the redheads as the heros?

Ringworld/Discworld

"Colour of Magic" is Discworld, which is not the same as Ringworld.

Email not Forum post

I worry that as with most such "polls" a good 50% or more will respond in the forum instead of following the simple instructions to Email their vote....

Like those "Click to vote polls" where people feel the need to then post "I vote x".

D'oh.

That is all...

Silver badge

Ringworld

or anything by Larry Niven. Surely the CGI is up to it by now?

The Legacy of Heorot

CGI Grendels would be something to see!

Overlooked Lem

I'd love to see Stalinslaw Lem's Pirx the Pilot series get a good film deal or cable series treatment. They are good SciFi but they also revolve heavily around the development of the central character from an uncertain cadet to an experienced pilot. The series could transition well to the screen without huge CGI budgets.

Should still count...

...but apparently there is a 1979 Polish film based on one of the stories, but that leave most of the series unfilmed.

Megaphone

Speaking of Lem...

I think Peace on Earth might have possibilities. (Then again, I thought that about Solaris, and two different filmmakers have largely failed trying to adapt that one.)

Stars my Destination

Supposed to be due out in 2012 though...

Silver badge
Happy

That and the Heechee saga

... particularly since recent postings on the physics arXiv blog suggest that life inside a BH is theoretically possible ...

but I've been waiting for Gully Foyle to rise since I was a kid!

Alien

the foundation trilogy

I just wish they kept it that way.

It's marked as being in production though :-/

Thumb Up

Quatermass

That is all

FAIL

Did you even read the article?

'Your nomination should not ever have been made into a film'

Quatermass has indeed been made into a film

http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=quatermass

Thumb Up

And the Pit

and what he said

FAIL

Been there

Pretty sure the brief was for ones which were not already films?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062168/

Gregory Benford...

Sure some of Gregory Benford's books should have been filmed by now.

Proper sci-fi for grown-ups - and some of the amazing stuff can be done now CGI is where it is.

This post has been deleted by its author

The Technicolor Time Machine

Harry Harrison's book about a second rate Hollywood film directory making a film about Vikings with the aid of a mad professor who has invented a Time machine, thus permitting the film to use real locations and real Vikings as extras... the film of the book of the film of the book (well saga)

Thumb Up

A Transatlantic Tunnel Hoorah

Whilst we're on Harry Harrison books.

The story, set in the 1980's where a descendant of the traitor George Washington, has to design and build a transatlantic tunnel to the jewel in the Empires crown, America. Lots of nuclear powered steam trains, B(r)abbage mechanical computing engines and a west country post master with an interest in rocketry.

Anonymous Coward

The Technicolor Time Machine

I read the book years ago....totally forgot about it until I read your post. This is a fabulous suggestion for a movie. If I recall correctly (which is probably wrong) lots of alcohol is involved in getting the main Viking actor to perform. I can't wait to see the movie....in fact I may even go on Amazon now to buy the book again.

Also a great film

Netflix has it as a watch instantly. Filmed in 1935. Lots of references to the Channel Tunnel.

Silver badge
Happy

Deathworld

Deathworld would be a great film but probably has too many parallels to the Israel/Palestinian conflict to get financed.

Easy

Sci-Fi: Cryptonomicon (I nearly said Snow Crash but it could suffer from an attack of the Johnny Mnemonics quite easily).

Fantasy: Stormbringer (I'm amazed this has never been made tbh).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums