Feeds

back to article Dell flings Froyo tablet at Brits

Dell has released its 7in Android tablet, the Streak 7, in the UK, pricing the fondleslab at £299. Dell Streak 7 The gadget only has 2.4GHz 802.11n Wi-Fi connectivity and only runs Android 2.2 Froyo. It comes with 16GB of on-board storage - there's an SD card slot for more - and is powered by an Nvidia Tegra 2. The 7in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Hmmmm

Been holding out for this after extensively playing with the 5 inch version but at £299 without 3G, that's pricing it the same as the Galaxy Tab with 3G is from O2 atm...

Thumb Down

Oh come on...

..stop messing with these small screens people want to be able to browse and do email and other tasks simply and comfortably and a 7" screen is too small for that. Its too big to be a pocket device and too small to have the comfort of a small size device. Just bring out something around about 10" then I might start getting interested.

Silver badge

10" is way too big.

I want something I can fit in my pocket. If I have to heft it about in a backpack or a bag, being fearful every single time someone bumps into me, I might as well get a laptop (you know.. a real computer and not a big toyphone) for the same price and do more with it.

Seriously, what are Apple thinking by ignoring the 7" form factor? Ah well, more money for the droids I guess.

Silver badge

lol, someone doesn't like the truth.

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/technicalfool/notanipad/ <- truth. You can't do this with an iPad. Or any other 10" tablet, really.

WTF?

Android 2.3?!

I really don't get it! Is there a reason for this other than a requirement to get it to market fast? Surely throwing a bit more resources at it and shipping it with Android 3 would have more than paid off?

Thumb Up

WTF

Agreed. I'm now concerned that it does not comply in some way with the 3.0 device compatibility requirements...

oh well I don't have to buy now.

Unhappy

£299?

Overpriced considering 8G version of Archos 70 is available now from Amazon for £190 (bastards have dropped the price from the £229 I paid for mine six weeks ago but c' est la vie).

@FordPrefect. As in everything, 7" is more than adequate. :o)

The 7" format is ideal for surfing, emails, watching video and playing games on and is highly portable - more so than lugging a 10" fondleslab around.

No 3G, no good

3G is the killer feature for tablets. If you can't access the internet wherever you are, most of the apps and features on a tablet are pointless. 3G is the game changer.

So buy a MIFI dongle.

There's no need nowadays for every portable device to need its own 3G built in.

Silver badge

Solution: Buy more stuff.

No.

Besides, my tablet IS my mifi dongle.

@Duncan Hothersall

No one wants 3G on a tablet. It just means having 2 contracts, one data contract for your tablet and another for your phone. Who want to pay twice ? just use your phone as a mobile hot spot.

Actually I want 3G on a tablet

which is why I said it. I use my phone for calls and texts, and have it on a cheap tariff for them from Orange. I use my tablet for internet stuff and have it on a cheap tariff for that from 3. I save money and have two devices which can function independently. And my phone's battery doesn't get hit with constant wireless comms.

I understand the argument but for me, the killer tablet feature is 3G.

Go

Android 3 coming

I read on 'another (e)gadget site' that Dell will release Android 3 for this table soon, which 'da reg' decided not to mention. But agree with no 3G it kinda spoils it.

Happy

@No 3G, no good

So you've not heard of phone tethering then? My mobe can be set up as a portable WiFi hotspot which is tethered to my Archos 70 so I can surf via 3G. Simples.

This topic is closed for new posts.