Feeds

back to article STONERS are DESTROYING the PLANET

"Let's find out what everybody is doing – and stop them doing it" – A P Herbert Stoners are helping destroy the planet. Not by excessive snacking, but thanks to the high-energy demands of indoor marijuana cultivation. So says a US Government policy analyst with a Puritanical streak and an EYE for a SHOUTY HEADLINE. Evan Mills, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Happy

I think there is no doubt whatsoever that marjuana has a major effect on the......

.......upper atmosphere. Well at least the longer the evening goes at the parties I attend the higher the atmosphere gets!

Pint

Evan Mills can..

...fuck off and die. Don't plants convert CO2 to O2 during photosynthesis?

Why can't we grow the sacred herb in hot countries and import them? Oh yeah, that's right, due to silly, unjust laws. We wouldn't want to threaten the alcohol industry.

I'm about to warm up my Volcano to vaporise some fine herbs.

Flame

They did it to me, so I know I'm right.

It's not the alcohol industrial complex fighting legalization, as much as it's the cops and lawyers and judges (all of whom may be in a hostage situation)...

Let me explain. Pot can be smuggled to a college town by cops and other people in power, then sold to kids for profit #1. Then said consumers are arrested, and charged, and ultimately pay both a fine the community, and likely hire a lawyer. Both are profitable for the community.

Is the corruption handed down from generation to generation? Yes! Any good cop, lawyer or judge is secretly ostracized or threatened into maintaining the outward appearance of Truth.

No one in the world believes the federal (USA) government doesn't know local governments are corrupt.

Illegal Pot is too profitable, for too many reasons, to EVER be legal.

Silver badge

Yes they do

Yes, plants convert CO2 to O2 during photosynthesis, however the electricity used, and we are talking about 1kW of LED lights per square meter, or more than that if you use a less efficient bulb, generates a lot more CO2 than the carbon captured by these plants. Also, that carbon gets released again when you burn the plants.

Cannabis can be grown outside even in places like Scotland, but you are much more likely to get caught if you grow outside.

Boffin

erm...

A quick check of the forums or related guides would tell you a couple of things - very few people use LED lights, they need a lot more work to be viable. Most people are switching from HID setups (e.g Metal Halides) to low power CFLs. Even with High Intensity Discharge light 1,000 watts per square metre would be REALLY high and cause potentially insurmountable heat issues

FAIL

Plants also respire

Plants also convert O2 to CO2 during respiration (using the sugar produced in photosynthesis to get energy from it). Ever wondered why flowers are commonly taken away from patients in hospitals at night? The main reason trees are counted as good for CO2 is for carbon capture (tying it up for considerable time), not because of photosyntheses else just planting more grass would be in vogue rather than long lived trees.

Silver badge

Indeed

Indeed it does, which is why the police helicopter regularly flies over at night with a thermal imaging camera to catch these people.

Flame

but they don't care.

The growers don't care about energy costs, they usually use abandoned buildings, by pass the power supply, no doubt all the kit is stolen, so telling them they are using too much power is really going to fall on 'deaf' ears! Get real Maaaan .....

Happy

Wow, how ignorant...

So, ALL growers use this method of theft to grow their herbs?

The ignorance of people who don't know, don't research, and don't WANT to know is ASTOUNDING.

Smiley - Mr. Nice Guy

Silver badge

Hmm,

bit of a blanket statement.

I know several gardeners whom use hydroponics for chillis, toms, melons etc.

They ALL pay for their leccy...Because they arent greedy bastards and will get more back in weight than £ spent on the leccy....

£10'er a gram these days.. Robbing cunts.....

WTF?

Except that

It's legal to grow in the enlightened state of California, with the appropriate license.

Terminator

but

isn't that only 'medical marijuana' ?

punter: doctor, i've got a terrible migraine that just won't shift and my friend told me that weed is the only thing that works (for MS, glaucoma too etc).

the good doctor: that's no problem madam, would you like some bubblegum or white widow?

Coat

It's official.

The ecofundies have gone to pot.

If you'll excuse the corny line. *Hemp*. Yes, that's a hemp-woven smoking jacket. Why do you ask?

Happy

Stoners ?

I was going to comment but ......... I got high

Terminator

The Planet is going...

...Up In Smoke. Hey Pendejos, how are you doing?

Hey, where's the spliff icon? Have to use the guy that looks stoned instead.

Anonymous Coward

RE: The Planet is going...

+1 for the use of 'pendejos'

Joke

icon

You should have gone one to the right ;)

Silver badge

Does this mean

that marijuana cultivation is vital to the US economy?

Silver badge

Worth more than you think

I remember reading a paper back in 2006 that said weed is now the US's number one cash crop.

Happy

Ah, the great Mencken ...

it was good to hear him find a new generation of fans, through "The Wire" ... The Life of Kings

Anonymous Coward

Nah waaaay

Ahahah, really? Nah, you'e pulling my leg! Ahahah. Look at this sky, it looks greaaat! Look at this cloud, it looks like a cow! So cuuute! Man, thinking of a cow made me hungry, I sure could have a burger right now, ahahah. Huh, what were we talking about again?

Terminator

What Evan forgot...

...though, is that due to consumption of said weed, stoners sleep longer which saves enormous amounts of energy, thus overall lowering the stoners' carbon footprint. Stoners should seek a CO2 offset which they can then trade on the carbon markets, and with their profits they can buy more weed and start the cycle over.

Happy

Yes but they leave the TV on when they fall asleep

or well I do anyway

Thumb Up

Only solution

Make it illegal to grow pot indoors, make it legal to grow it outdoors, problem solved.

Gold badge
Happy

Obvious answer.

Import it in bulk from places where it can be grown outdoors. Resin is more convenient here for transportation purposes.

Morocco ("00"), The Lebanon ("Red") and Afghanistan ("Black") always used to run a thriving resin export business back in the day and I'm sure they'd be delighted to expand the industry.....

Oh God no!

Not crappy old hash again! Come on man, this isn't the 80s

Re: Oh God no!

I know what your saying, but there is something about solid that I miss.

Probably the elephant tranquilliser...

Coffee/keyboard

...but there is something about solid that I miss

> Probably the elephant tranquilliser...

...and the old car tyres, used condoms, diesel etc. They should make that illegal...

Thumb Up

Re: Re: Oh God no!

I agree it has its uses, if I ever have a cold, a bong bowl later I don't have the symptoms and a day or so later I don't have the cold.

Happy

title

"I agree it has its uses, if I ever have a cold, a bong bowl later I don't have the symptoms and a day or so later I don't have the cold."

That's because in reality, a week has gone past.

Silver badge
Coat

A title is required and must contain pithy remarks

"Shifting cultivation outdoors eliminates most energy uses " -- problem solved then, oh wait.

Silver badge
WTF?

Numbers?

"1 per cent of energy usage in the United States".

I have absolutely no data to back me up in this, but surely this quote is very very very far off the mark.

And if indoor pot growing is very energy-inefficient, surely teh best solution is (a) grow it outdoors and (b) stop sending SWAT teams to bust people for a few grams of marijuana. Legalise the stuff and send the SWAT teams to tear up Wall street

Silver badge
Troll

Cop TV progs

It amazes me the huge amount of resources used to bust someone with a few plants. The TV Cops progs show a lot of this stuff and the cops boast about "Stopping another farm" - a farm ffs? Usually about enough plants to keep yerself happy, not exactly the regulation 'houseful of plants and Vietnamese' that are apparently abundant in our cities.

Legalising the growing of just a few plants would save a huge amount of police money and time and fuel and and and.

The Troll looks like he's just had a hit off a bong

Anonymous Coward

This title intentionally left blank

> Legalising the growing of just a few plants would save a huge amount of police money and time and fuel and and and.

You're 100% right, but if this happened the cops would have to buy their own gear instead of pinching it off Joe Public.

Happy

If you can't beat them...

legalize it and join them!

Simple solution

Legalise it, grow it in the open in greenhouses so theres no need for the high intensity lamps.

Coat

And...

...what about the smell?

Notice: Keep off the Grass

Grenade

simpler yet Oliver

Just get a grip and stop using the stuff, no self control, that's the problem, we mean it Maaaannnnnn......

Anonymous Coward

Funnel it...

... through carbon filters.

Thumb Down

@Slim Chance

So, are you going to volunteer to lead by example and give up all alcohol, or cigars, or coffee, or whatever your own preferred vice is? This just sounds like more of the "I don't use it, therefore nobody should be allowed to" nonsense spouted by the control freaks who want to ban everything in society.

Happy

@Rattus Rattus

No control freaks here dude, you're either the horse or the rider, the choice is yours.

FAIL

Double Oh fits the bill, most definatly

hmmm lets see. legalise it. who's gonna spend months growing in the loft if they can pop out and pick up a henry of O.G #18 for a tenner?

god no, someone think of the children, sorry daily mail

Troll

Have to keep it illegal

Like once you get the drug war habit, well, it's kind of hard to stop.

We'd only need half as many prisons and prison officers.

We'd have to sack half the police as most other crime is done by junkies needing the money for a fix.

Journalists would have to find other stories to write about.

Hundreds of undertakers in Mexico employed burying the 20,000 drug war victims per annum would have to find other employment.

The whole economy would go to pot - pun intended.

Anonymous Coward

And...

...we'd have to do some real work this afternoon instead of making comments here

Silver badge

Steady on!

>real work this afternoon

Don't lets go completely down the fantasy trail...

Ummm...

This is only pot we're talking about - weedheads don't quite fall into the heroin junkie type category normally ... about the only crime a stoner is likely to commit (apart from the obvious weed buying bit) is walking out of the all-night garage with 20 Mars bars because they got mixed up in the shelf maze and wandered out the door before going to the till.

And then being too paranoid to go back into the garage afterwards because like, they'll know man... O_o

IT Angle

Riight

Many stoners don't go on holidays or own cars as they spend their money on dope. I'm sure this offsets the dope growing that some engage in.

Rich people are destroying the planet - they fly hither and yon, pontificating about how we should all live. They often own more than one house, thus depriving others of shelter and own companies that treat the earth and its citizens as a means to making profit. They pay their workers so poorly that Government have to top wages up and then they avoid paying as much tax as possible, thus bleeding the system from both ends.

Anonymous Coward

Hang on a sec

Care to provide an actual rational for that 192,000 additional deaths a year thing instead of just pulling a big number out your arse? Because I'm pretty sure even the poor people in the U.S don't subsist solely on corn and it certainly isn't the only cheap foodstuff.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

It's economy...

Transforming cheap food into fuel makes cheap food more scarce, and hence more expensive. Corn prices go up, rice and potatoes follow... And don't forget poultry and cattle, that also are fed corn.

FAIL

Don't forget corn syrup

And how many deaths are caused by growing corn just to make a cheap sweetener that our digestive systems cannot metabolize properly.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.