Feeds

back to article Red Dwarf to blast off on new adventure

The cast of Red Dwarf are poised to reunite for a new series of the cult TV sci-fi series, twelve years after the spacecraft finally ran out of fuel on the BBC. Co-creator Doug Naylor has, according to Wired, confirmed Chris Barrie, Craig Charles, Danny John-Jules and Robert Llewellyn are on board for a further six episodes. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Unhappy

Probably going to disappoint

As much as I loved Red Dwarf, or at least the earlier series', I don't think this will end well. It could if they do it intelligently and not make it silly, but my hopes aren't high.

Anonymous Coward

Agreed.

The humour of the original series was punchy and tight. The special was all over the place.

I owned all the DVDs of the original series and normally I would have bought the rest of them purely for continuity; but this time the special was so bad that even continuity couldn't move me to part with the cash.

Thumb Down

Bah

I don't know a single Red Dwarf fan who doesn't agree that the series took a decline when Rob Grant departed the production team. The latter series and specials have all lacked the magic of the original.

Bring back Rob and maybe the new stuff will be worth watching.

Stop

One phrase:

Oh dear..

Bronze badge
Unhappy

oh dear

Yet more.

It lost its way after series 6, icon says it all.

Stop

No

Stop ruining my childhood memories.

Anonymous Coward

Spaced...

The Phantom Menace was 18 months ago, Tim.

I know, but it still hurts, Bilbo.

---

That is all...

Go

Hawk the Slayer was rubbish.

Babylon 5 was a big pile of poo!

Linux

I'd love to say I'm excited...

..but I'm not...

the last specials were awful and the series went seriously downhill before that.

Please just let it die gracefully & be remembered fondly rather than wringing every last ounce out of it & destroying a once great show.

Mr Flibble is very cross.

Coat

Stoke me a clipper..

Ill be back for 2012

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

What?

"Stoke me a clipper?"

Is that a joke or reference that I just don't get or did you mean "Smoke me a kipper" ?

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: What?

It's true references and subversions thereof are always so much funnier and better when explained to death.

Happy

Yes

...It's a reference you just didn't get

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

OK

Thanks for explaining what the reference is. Not.

wrong ingo

it was 3 episodes for the back to reality show in 2009 not 4

and cant wait seen this confirmed late last year

Silver badge

I hope...

"The new series will air on freeview channel Dave, which had a big hit with its 2009 four-episode Red Dwarf: Back to Earth special."

That "special" sucked balls. I hope the series is good. Although I doubt it, they were already going down hill fast by the end of the last series.

Silver badge
FAIL

Agreed

That "special" was f***ing atrocious. If Naylor had wanted to make an appalling Blade Runner/Corrie Street crossover then fine but why the hell did he have to bring Red Dwarf into it as well?

I will watch the first episode of this new series with a laser glare and if there's even the faintest whiff of turd about it I'm reaching for the remote.

Back To Earth a "big hit"

I think there was a letter missing in that quote.

Coffee/keyboard

Turkey Alert!!

Dear god let this new series be several factors of ten funnier than the three episodes they did a couple of years ago... either that, or let them never see the light of day.

If there's ever been a good demonstration of the maxim "quit while you're ahead" that series was it. Truly dire, and I speak as a big fan who watched from the very first episode.

Unhappy

Yes, or ... "quit while you're dead" in this case

Will not watch the degrading spectacle of this honourable zombie being electrocuted back to life and tortured with a cattle-prod into another tired jig ~ whoever is responsible for this abuse should be fired, preferably into the nearest sun.

Thumb Down

Loved early series of red dwarf but...

...the later series from 7 onwards just got worse and worse. I mean that last special that was made for Dave was truly awful. I fear this new series will be the same which is a damn shame as it was a good series :(

Linux

Two Hours W.O.O.

I think they've been talking to the king fo the potato people....

I don't think I can take any more

As a fan of the original 6 series of this, I managed to sit through series 7 and 8, and just managed to force myself to watch the mini-series on Dave (though it took me several months and a fair amount of alcohol to get through it).

Don't think I can stomach another series though

+1

Bring back Rob Grant.

The Rovers Return In Space?

Title says it all.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: The Rovers Return In Space?

Actually I think you'll find Title says nothing in particular.

Title

It may have been a poor joke.

It may have gone over your head.

Did it warrant a snide remark from the moderator?

Cue fawning fanboys voting me down.

Thumb Up

I see what you did there....

The 'return' of the lost 'rovers' and a Corrie cross over in one title..

Troll

Downvoting

"Cue fawning fanboys voting me down."

I wouldn't worry too much about 'fanboys'*: I'm moderately (hah) sure that Sarah can take care of herself.

[* Fanboy (n.) - lit. "Person who likes or approves of something I don't."]

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

Specials were awful

Actually, whilst people often moan about the later series, I don't think it was all that bad. I loved the episode "Beyond a joke", as well as the three-parter of series 8. Even though it wasn't consistently as good as the earlier series, I'd still rather see more of that, than nothing at all.

But it's the 2009 specials that were dire. I think I smiled once during the entire thing. Some parts I just cringed at - the mocking of the stereotypical fan, where he recites the joke about Rimmer quoting from the regulations book; except it's not funny when people do that. And I try to forget the dire Coronation Street tie in...

FAIL

!eeeeH eeeemS

!esaelp erom oN

"what viewers can expect from the space veterans' next adventure."

Rimmer sets time in reverse so he can sit on toilet and watch shit fall into his ass.

(it practically writes itself)

Thumb Up

That happened

There was a reverse episode where I think it was the cat that did this, and emerged from the toilet cubicle with hair spiked and a VERY shocked look on his face.

And I STILL want to know what happened after Rimmer kicked Death in the nuts on the burning ship. AND IT HAD BETTER BE FUNNY!

Headmaster

Not a toilet cubicle

Was behind a bush. And the episode, unsurprisingly, was Sdrawkcab.

In fact there's a picture of that very moment at the top of the wikipedia article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backwards_(Red_Dwarf_episode)

Unhappy

Smggggggggggggg heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

The last 3 series were seriously below par, and that 3 parter from 2009 was a shit, not a hit.

Talk about a crushing disappointment, and I feel it will pave the way for more of the same.

Should have killed it off a la Blackadder.

Grenade

Product placement

Is it any coincidence that the the ban on Product placement on UK tele has just been lifted and Dave have now commissioned this new series.

I wouldn't be surprised to see product placements in every second scene.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Yeah and whats the

betting its that fucking annoying-as-hell:

We buy any car dot com.. bloody advert break that Dave has every 6 minutes.

Stopped watching Dave when that "jingle" locked itself into my head...

Go

We buy any car is a lot less irritating

If you just sing along "We suck any c*ck" instead.

Neatly sums up the aggravating little turds responsible for that crime against humanity, sorry, advert.

Stop

WBAC

Should be "We screw any customer"

Silver badge

Still less annoying

...than the special it was advertising in.

jai
Silver badge

well spin my nipplenuts and send me to Alaska!!

You bunch of depressing smegheads! Have some optimism for once! You're acting like someone just told you there's no silicon heaven!

This is quite possibly the best news I've heard since... since they announced the Back To Earth special.

Which, admittedly, wasn't as good as everyone hoped, but i enjoyed it. It was a lot better than the last series of the show, even if it didn't hit the highs of the all time classic episodes.

Still, whatever they produce, it'll be a HUGE amount better than the dross that was Hyperdrive and anything else sci-fi that's been on telly recently.

So have some faith you lot! It'll be great! It says so in Space Corps Directive 34124

NB
Coat

Excuse me sir but...

34124? No officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity.

Thumb Down

its the whole.....

Space Corps directive rubbish that ruined the show IMHO. Series 1 and 2 were by far and away the best, series 3 was very good and had a higher production value but all the Space Corps Directive rubbish started creeping in from there.

Best episode is IMHO Marooned, season 2, which must have cost about as much as an episode of Biker Grove to make. More effects, silly gags and whatever didn't make it a better programme, it was the writing that made it brilliant.

marooned series 3 not 2

Marooned was series 3 not 2. However I agree that series was probably the best and just went downhill from there.

Thumb Down

Re: its the whole.....

Pretty sure that Marooned was series 3 (actually I am sure since I just checked).

Really can't agree that 1 and 2 were better than 3 - 6. They were different certainly, and I can see why they might appeal more to some people, but I think the changes made for 3 were an improvement, and it just got better through to the end of 6. Nothing wrong with a good "space core directive" line or three IMO.

Pity they never made any more. I SAID THEY NEVER MADE ANY MORE.

Series 1 & 2 were bleak...

...in comparison to series 3 and on. The comedy was brought to the fore and just got sillier as time went on and as a result it lost its edge. I think that darkness and sense of isolation made the jokes and jibes all the more funny.

Anyhoo - I hope the cast and crew do a sterling job and look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Happy

Internet rule 34 , meet spacecore directive 34124

......anyone got the relevent hyperlinks????

yer

if they stoped at 2 or 3 we would never have got the "red alert buld" joke witch I will not ruin by repeting here

Stop

Sounds like Rentaghost

was the same, started off with some good subtle humour then just turned into yet another slapstick and gunge children's show.

Seriously hoping they go back to basics with Red Dwarf, was always meant to be more adult comedy.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.