back to article Facebook closes today ... NOT!

Credulous Facebook users are propagating a scam that claims that social network site is shutting up shop. The message behind the scam improbably claims that Facebook was having trouble managing old inactive accounts, so it has decided to delete everything, unless users "confirm" their activity. "Your account will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. gumbald
    Happy

Stupid tax!

They're people who probably spend too long on Facebook anyway.

2. da_fish27
    FAIL

Meh

Anybody who would be retarded enough to fall for this deserves it.

3. Mike Peachey
    FAIL

News?

How exactly is this news? These things constantly encircle facebook, hotmail and all other kinds of free online services.

4. Huns and Hoses

Surely not...

We must be way way beyond the stage when even our grandparents have an excuse for this.

5. I Like Heckling Silver badge
    FAIL

Sadly...

I know some people who do fall for this and just about every other scam on facebook... in spite of my attempts to educate them, they persist in trying to find out 'who has been viewing their profile' and so forth...

It's got to the point where I've told some of them if it happens again they're on their own and off my friend list.

I can only tolerate stupidity so many times, at least my family eventually got educated enough to stop...

But at least it's a great way of weeding out the utterly inept from your life. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

people dont hear the truth if its not sexy.

.. A relative of mine recently had a social engineering / phishing scam tried on her.

She was not able to fall for it due to lack of any real knowledge of her system or what these crooks wanted. Someone had obtained her name and phone number, so called and spoke like they knew her.. i.e. this is x from your ISP and i would like you to do this for us..

I made sure there was nothing on her computer, reassured her it was a scam and left happy that my work was done.

The machine in question was on a private network, firewalled to the hilt and generally secure from the start. All ISP services and computer support provided by her work ( and a top job they did too ).

Yet for the last 3 months she has been telling people about how "they" have done x,y,z to her and know all about her. Any challenge i make to this claim results in ..

"But they knew my name and i hadn't even told them ".

Love my family but "Stupid tax" is right.

6. Ed Fingleton
    FAIL

Credulous...

Surely you mean cretinous...

7. Frank Jovine

Facebook the Cyber Crimnals Playground

Facebook is on many cyber criminals bucket list and I see no end. When you have 600+ million users, it's enticing. I recently published an article about the latest stalker app which you can read below.

http://www.techjaws.com/facebook-survey-stalker-app/

8. Reg Varney

One more proof, if any more were needed...

... that facebook is a home for complete imbeciles

9. Dan Beshear
    Badgers

Time reclaimation

And here I was hoping to recover my daily time allocation to Mafia Wars and Mobsters and put it to actual good use. Meh. Someone just hitlisted me G2G!

10. Thomas 4

If only Facebook were closing....

...then I'm sure the average intelligence of the average human being would rise a few notches.

11. J. Cook Silver badge
    Joke

It's not true!?!?!?

Having my failbook account get deleted would have put a grand capper to this week- best birthday gift EVER.

12. Winkypop Silver badge
    Troll

Correction

"Would-be marks", why not just say "Facebook users" and be done with it?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Culling the herd

This isn't so bad really.

Only STUPID people will be hit, and with any luck they will melt down and go away.

There are a lot of stupid people on Faceplant.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like