Panasonic has confirmed that BBC iPlayer is coming to some of its internet-connected HD TVs. iPlayer will be integrated into Viera Connect, Panasonic's UI for IPTV services, but tough luck if you have an older set: iPlayer appears to be destined for 2011-released models only. These include plasma and LCD models ranging from …
Speaking as someone who has just bought a 2010 Viera, that's seriously poor.
Already there for Freesat
I've had iPlayer on my 2010 model for some months now, but via the BBC Red button, not Viera Link, and only on Freesat.
Maybe it will be rolled out on the Freeview red button soon too - although it doesn't always work particularly well, even though I rarely have any problems using iPlayer on my PC, which uses the same router.
RE: Already there for Freesat
Same here, works fine for me* ... just waiting on ITV Player on channel 903. Fuck knows what I'll watch on it though. I think I can live without the next instalment of "<Celebutard> - The Next Chapter".
*unless you pause playback, then about half the time it's liable to either stop playing the audio or, more often, do some weird thing were the audio plays fine but the video shows a single frame about once a second. Though a quick "rewind" will typically fix both of those.
- Xmas Round-up Ten top tech toys to interface with a techie’s Christmas stocking
- It's true, the START MENU is coming BACK to Windows 8, hiss sources
- Google embiggens its fat vid pipe Chromecast with TEN new supported apps
- Pic NASA Mars tank Curiosity rolls on old WET PATCH, sighs, sniffs for life signs
- Microsoft: Don't listen to 4chan ... especially the bit about bricking Xbox Ones