back to article Google plans cheapo YouTube programs

Google is planning a "major overhaul" of YouTube, with changes said to include professionally produced programming. The search giant is reported to be planning to spend up to $100m commissioning "low-cost" content designed exclusively for YouTube's web audience. Content is planned as part of a package of changes that is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ed
    FAIL

Tv

Tv episodes of a show like Mad Men cost in the region of 2-3 million dollars, so 100 million could get you a couple of 22 episode length seasons. A mad men season costs about 30 million to make (2.3 million per episode).

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

That'd be right

According to the link the Netflix deal was for the entire series - something like 50 hours of programming. Now that actually sounds rather expensive for repeats but it was a flagship deal. For more ordinary programming $100 million buys you a lot of content.

2. karl 15
    Happy

Little Rch

As long as Little Rich has top billing i'll be happy http://tinyurl.com/67zzygx

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Stop

Free shit.

Now available with extra shit.

4. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

OK..

First, Netflix, paying $100 million for streaming rights to just about anything is retarded. How are they possibly going to make back even a fraction of that money?

Youtube.. well, I hope they do not wreck the ability to just go from vid to vid, randomly jumping around, or wreck the search capability. But, it is pretty freaking disorganized now, so having something like channels as well would surely not hurt. And I never object to original content, if it's any good.

5. Saul Dobney

Buy a TV channel

Take it as a loss leader. Make the programmes. Put them on real TV, then put them on Youtube. Use Real TV ads to part fund the process, and repeat. Eventually you get a channel on Youtube from all the series Google has part-funded. Or buy a TV station.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like