Feeds

back to article Google juices Chrome OS with fondleslab smarts

Google is plugging away at developing a tablet version of its browser-based Chrome OS it originally discussed in February 2010, but details remain scant despite recent changes in the Chrome OS source code. "We are engaging in early open-source work for the tablet form factor, but we have nothing new to announce at this time," a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

titles are for wimps!

I wonder when Google will integrate that nice bump-top software they nabbed a while back. Who would need any games on a tablet when you can flick your files around your desktop and throw virtual rubbish into your virtual rubbish bin on your virtual desktop ?

Coat

Bad Application of Technology

I can't help feeling that the levitation tech obviously present in the first device would have far greater benefit in other fields of human endeavour...

Anonymous Coward

Googlish to English translation

We spent all this money and have all this code around for this Chromium OS which now looks like its headed to a dead end, not unlike many of our recent projects. Maybe if we tie it to these cool new things called tablets it will appear to be a more palatable idea.

After all if you present it in a laptop format people might start demanding laptop functionality, at least with tablets we can blame the bugs and limitations as being all part of the new platform.

Gold badge
Coat

Chrome OS + Android.

Andross?

You had me until

the words "nothing new". Ahem.

no network = nice door stop

maybe an infusion of HTML5 and Unicorn spit will help but right now if my Cr48 can't find a network it's a paperweight.

Sun tried the whole "the network is the computer" nonsense and now they are part of a database selling yatch broker... hopefully Google won't fall for the same bull

The Chrome centric, extentions enhanced, lightweight and great battery life experience is good... but I like to work offline (there are still places - like planes - where WiFi isn't guaranteed or is expensive) and the paradigm of opening a new tab to fire up a calculator and having to toggle from one to the other is just a pain

Oh and ChromeOS as a media platform right now... sucks. Limited codec support, no DRM and a really unstable Flash means that sites like Hulu, Netflix or even youTube are pretty poor experiences

Silver badge

What's in a name?

"Chrondroid, anyone? Or would you prefer Androme?"

If I may, WebOS?

This topic is closed for new posts.