Feeds

back to article Banana-bender beer boffins drop drops for science

No, it’s not April 1: according to wire service AFP, there really are beer researchers at the Queensland University of Technology, and they’re working on a project to brew a beer suitable for consumption in space. Lead researcher Martin Castillo told AFP the physiology of space flight – particularly swelling of the tongue – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Happy

Makes me think of...

...the special fizzy drink in Roal Dahl's /BFG/. With the bubbles that go down instead of up.

Boffin

Makes be damn proud to be an Aussie!

One small sip for man... one giant gulp for mankind.....

Pint

But Isn't Everything...

...in Australia already inverted anyway?

Coffee/keyboard

The only problem

Is it comes from queensland, the home of the undrinkable XXXX

Bronze badge
Joke

brewing beer in zero G sounds tricky

I guess the problem of continuously separating the fermentation bubbles from the beer is solvable, by brewing inside a slow centrifuge in order to simulate gravity.

Pint

Now this

Is real science.

Cheers to all the buys anf girls in banana bender country. Once done their next task will be how to do a BBQ in zero gravity. Solve those two great engineering questions and I'll be ready to take that giant step into the final frontier

Next step:

Space-meat pie floater? Because when you're pisched you really need something greasy to eat.

Anonymous Coward

Old news for Australia

It's called Foster. And it's particularly suitable for space because it involves recycled urine.

Silver badge
Coat

Space?

Now that's what I call planning.

Getting yourself a beer that will work in space BEFORE the rest of the world exiles you to New Australia (aka Moon prison).

doubly apt

'Vostok' is Russian for East, Queensland is in the NE of Australia....

Pint

logistics ?

So how many stubbies can you fit in a Falcon 9 & who's going to empty the recycle bin?

IR

So

a low gravity beer then?

In what direction do the bubble go in zero-g?

Pint

Beer in Space

Maybe they need Olde Frothingslosh. The pale stale ale with the foam on the bottom.

HMM... Which is the bottom in space?

Bronze badge

CO2?

Clearly space brew must have its fizz provided by O2, not CO2.

Silver badge
Pint

I guess Aus has given up...

...on trying to invent a beer that is drinkable on Earth.

Anonymous Coward

Getting their priorities straight

On successful completion of this research project I forecast the announcement of the Australian space program.

This topic is closed for new posts.