back to article Swedish newlyweds enjoy lively honeymoon

A pair of Swedish newlyweds enjoyed what must rate as the liveliest honeymoon on record, in the process landing themselves firmly at the bottom of the list of travelling companions of choice. Stefan and Erika Svanstrom of Stockholm departed their native land on 6 December, with their baby daughter in tow. The pair, both in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim #3

It must be a Northern thing

They're even leaving more chaos behind than Gordon Brown could manage to.

2. Paul_Murphy

Does this count as a title?

Well - it will be something to tell the kiddies.

'In my day we had proper honeymoons. let me tell you - not like you youngsters with your day trips into the sun, or bandersnatch hunting, no OURS were a lot more exciting..'

and so on.

:-)

ttfn

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

So now we know who was responsible...

... any chance they might have some lawsuits filed agains then in a Texan court?

4. HP Cynic
    Thumb Up

Slideshow

At least their post-holiday slideshow and/or stories are guaranteed to be interesting.

I'm also impressed the article signed off without them saying "After all that we NEED a Holiday".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

honeymoon, bush fires, a? a?

Snerk

6. Anonymous Four
    Thumb Up

"A couple of Swedish newlyweds"

The most accurate collective noun I've seen Lester produce!

7. Lars Silver badge
    Pint

Fry this

The most unhappy newlyweds in the world.

8. Ian Stephenson
    Alert

The money making opportunities...

The amount of money most tourist destinations would pay them to stay away should be pretty phenomenal....

9. Pete 43
    Go

What a survivor!

Caught in a natural disaster team up with the Svanstroms

10. TeeCee Gold badge
    Unhappy

"The pair returned to Stockholm on 29 March..."

Bugger. I've got to go there soon.....

11. Ol'Peculier
    Stop

Rob McKenna

Douglas Adams was there first. They can now sell themselves off to countries that DON'T want them to visit...

1. Marvin the Martian
      Thumb Up

... was my immediate idea too.

Had to look up Rob McKenna though; had forgotten the name of the truck driver / reincarnation of Thor.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Not only a truck driver

But he is also the State Attorney General for Washington State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_McKenna

12. disgruntled yank

thanks for the warning

The Department of Homeland Security will be on the watch for them...

13. Stephen Hunt
    Thumb Up

Book deal...

...then film, please.

14. Peter Clarke 1
    Coat

An advance apology

from the BBC for the QI team calling them 'lucky'

15. Captain DaFt
    Unhappy

Think of their daughter

Will they ever be able to convince that kid to travel with them anywhere again?

16. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hmmmm...

So they "battled their way to Cairns in Australia, which was swiftly battered by one of the worst cyclones in the Lucky Country's history" then "travelled to Brisbane, where they were met with extensive flooding, forcing a cross-country retreat to Perth" where they "narrowly escaped" raging bush fires"

Not that I'm doubting the Swedes but no-one "battles their way" by plane to anywhere these days. Cairns was hardly touched by Cyclone Yasi, the floods in Brisbane happened weeks before the cyclone and the Perth bush fires were, by definition, in the bush and not in Perth.

Call me cynical but my bullshit detector is flashing red right now.

1. RichyS

Re. Hmmmm...

"Not that I'm doubting the Swedes but no-one "battles their way" by plane to anywhere these days."

You've not been to Heathrow recently, have you?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: You've not been to Heathrow recently, have you?

Thankfully not :)

2. James Le Cuirot

I call bullshine...

So is mine, simply because it sounds so much like someone made it up.

3. c0rruptd

Bush and City aren't that different round these here parts...

Depends what you define as Perth and as bush. The fires in Roleystone were in bushland suburb (houses built on larger-than-usual blocks with lots of bush left intact, in keeping with the areas rustic asthetic...) which bordered on a huge area of housing that stretches all the way back to Perth. The fires in a lot of cases were stopped inside of these non-bush suburbs lower down the hill, and over 100 houses were damaged or destroyed. It was bloody lucky they didn't get any worse than they did...

Admittedly, Perth is known for its horrible urban sprawl, but that area is definately considered a part of Perth. I don't know if they went anywhere near that area of Perth, but technically speaking, they are right to say they were in the same city as the bushfires.

Talking as a Bush Fire Fighter that was present at the aforementioned Roleystone fires. =)

17. Banther dodo
    Happy

Sounds like

He should just do the decent thing, before something else happens. Either that or visit Swindon.

18. Steve X

Bet they're grateful

that they didn't run into Kate Adie as well...

1. Simon Coyne
      Alert

Not as grateful

As Kate Adie is that she managed to avoid them.

Glad they don't live near me

19. Mike VandeVelde
    Alert

no kidding

"Swedish newlyweds... departed their native land on 6 December, with their baby daughter in tow... returned to Stockholm on 29 March"

4 month honeymoon? I know you get a lot of holidays over there, but is that anything like normal??

20. tobyr
    Joke

@mahatma coat

@ it's in the way you tell 'em

21. JDX Gold badge
    Alert

Stephen Fry

Will he get in trouble for mentioning this too?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/24/bbc_fry_apology/

22. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

His name might be Svenstrom...

But they call him "Mr Glass"...

23. Anonymous John

It needs a name,

but "Stockholm Syndrome" has already been allocated.

24. Mike007 Bronze badge

really? or slow to report an april fools joke?

"The pair returned to Stockholm on 29 March after a visit to China where they rather surprisingly failed to provoke a single natural disaster."

Then they wrote all about their holiday and posted it online on April 1st, by any chance?

25. Stephen 10

Statistically speaking

With 7,000,000,000+ people on the planet it's more unlikely that this wouldn't happen to someone.

Just saying.

26. bugalugs
    Joke

hey !

these guys may have battled over Egypt/Libya too ! did they overfly Ivory Coast ? how do we explain the Victorian floods in their complete absence ( other than by their close proximity ! ) ? svanstrom means swan icon. did Erika secretly not like her new surname ? do swans really dig climactic extremity ? has some kind of cygnomorphism gone on here ? are swans indeed responsible_for_everything ?

ntl, long life and happiness to them after all that.

This topic is closed for new posts.