back to article Nokia floats out a collection of cool concepts

Concept phone designs sometimes materialise into real products, so although Nokia's latest line-up of maybes seem unlikely, we can keep our fingers crossed eh? Last month we saw a few concept designs for Windows Phone 7 mobiles. In response, Nokia has put out five of its favourite mobile designs that will probably remain …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mermaid Dick
    Coat

Japanese politician's phone

"Election time"

2. AB
    Gates Horns

I'd trade all of this...

...for the Nokia MeeGo phone which was supposed to be in my pocket right now.

3. Carol Orlowski
    FAIL

Nokia pretending to be relevant

how cute.

The day you sold your soul to the devil was the day that there was no return from....

4. JDX Gold badge

So your phone gets a boner when a call comes in?

Classic.

5. Steve Evans

LOL!

The folding phone... errrr, well it looks like a great way to show off flexible and transparent electronic components if they are ever invented, but that's about it...

The weeble phone on the other hand looks kind of fun. Pity it's bound to be crippled with an MS operating system which means it will slowly raise off the desk when a call comes in then topple over and land flat on its face!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Oblig car analogy

Re. "Looks great if ever X is invented" Yes, that's what a "concept" often is.

"... gauge customer reaction to new and radical designs which may or may not have a chance of being produced."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_car

I guess all these car designers are just wasting time:

http://www.google.com/images?q=electric car concept

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Kinectic concept"

Otherwise known as the "Penis 'phone".

7. mraak
    WTF?

Money

If this is how they spend their time and money no wonder they're in this sh*tehole now.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So this is why they have problems

So this is why they have problems...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boy

This reminds me of Apple in the mid-nineties: full of ideas, but none of them had any chance of becoming a reality.

Frankly, these ridiculous designs are a sign of designers run amok. There's absolutely nothing here that would make my life, and by extension everyone else's, more comfortable.

Also the comments nicely show why it's a bad idea to ask customers for their input. All of the replies were in the 'cool, I want it' segment, yet no one seems to have any inkling of the practicalities involved.

What they need to do is get back to the basics of what a phone is supposed to do.

10. Bilgepipe
    Gates Horns

Hmmmmm

If I were cynical, I might call this a desperate attempt to remain relevant after the lukewarm response to getting into bed with Microsoft.

"Hey, we're becoming irrelevant - raid the concept cupboard! A few hastily-rendered CG images of impossible products should do the trick!"

If I were cynical.

11. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Silly. Which isn't always bad.

No-brainer is the breathalyser app for the mobile smellephone. Should also have a mode that tells you how many mints is enough to disguise the odour.

Wait, are you supposed to have two people with these phones and they can smell each other?

And you think the -other- concept phone is the kinky one?

These had better be... waterproof?

12. Lars Silver badge
    Pint

Could be embarrasing

If you kept that "kinectic concept" in your pocket.

13. PaulR79
    FAIL

Full of concepts, devoid of a good product

Nokia hardware has generally been pretty good but they tend to throw out ridiculous concepts that are perhaps a decade away from any chance of being a real product. Folding displays are around but not to the level that Nokia would need to make a real product from these concepts. If I was a shareholder I would really love to see how much money is wasted on this pointless crap.

Speaking of pointless crap, why the hell did they bother with the E7? It's an N8 with a keyboard and all the problems Symbian brings to a touchscreen and all the niggles (menus inside menus with more menus) that made me and many others finally give up on Nokia.

14. D@v3

nice concepts

Some of them.

It's funny though, reading some of the comments (especially on the more outrageous designs on this page

http://blogs.nokia.com/nseries/2011/03/03/the-word%E2%80%99s-best-nokia-concept-phones/ )

It would appear that some people have no 'concept' of what the word 'concept' means.

Some of the tech in these concepts is outstanding, like the long, thin, bendy 888, but to say that it's even 10 years away is a massive understatement.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Neil 7
    FAIL

Old

These concepts, certainly the kinect concept phone, have been around for a looong while, at least a year or more.[1]

Presumably with no real product to share for another 12 months Nokia are instead raiding the Nokia Labs archive and recycling old concepts to keep themselves in the news? Seems to be working...

1. http://designno.com/1272/Kinetic-Cellphone-Concept-for-Nokia/

17. Mikel
    FAIL

The news I want about Nokia products

Are they auctioning the memorabilia and office furniture yet?

18. The Indomitable Gall

That last one...

It looks more like a concept alarm clock. Which would actually be quite cool. But as a phone, no.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kinectic

I do have to say that's a nice-looking phone and a gimmicky concept too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like