Feeds

back to article Teens who listen to music a lot are at high risk of depression

In a development which confirms what many of us perhaps knew all along, research has shown that listening to music all the time as a teenager turns you into a doleful depressive (or alternatively that being a doleful depressive teenager makes you listen to music all the time). Youngsters who read, by contrast, tend to be in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

WTF?

So what about me...

Who spent most of his teenage years listening to music *whilst* reading? do the effects cancel out? SCIENCE MUST KNOW!

Anonymous Coward

Indeed, when I was a teenager they were rarely mutually exclusive.

Still aren't now I'm supposed to be a grown up.

Silver badge

I read while listening to music too

That's why I'm not depressed, just crazy.

Bipolar

see title

Silver badge
Thumb Up

No Surprise-

Anything from Simon Cowell's anus and co makes me depressed.

Silver badge
Megaphone

I'm not bloody surprised.

I'd be terminally depressed if I listened to the shit they listen to day in and day out............

Shuffles off into the distance mumbling to himself "in my day ......."

Silver badge
Pint

Damn!

I wish I'd written that post.

Anonymous Coward

Finally

Evidence to support my findings that the damn Adel song should be banned from existance due to being wristslittingly depressing and, also, a little bit shit.

Anonymous Coward

That explains it

I listened to a lot of pop music and read a lot in my teens - that must be why I've had depressive episodes and non-depressive episodes in my life. Nothing to do with any other influences...

Mind you, een back then (80s), some of what passed for music was enough to make anyone feel depressed if you had prolonged exposure to it (5 Star, anyone?)

But, but but...

5 Star were responsible (partly) for one of the best moments on TV, during Going Live! :)

Grenade

Try..

Ahah

ABC

Adam and the Ants

Bananorama

Cameo

Bon Jovi/Deff Leopard/Aerosmith/Pat Benatar/Europe/Anything with big hair

Depeche Mode (actually, only some of it)

Culture Club/Boy George

Rick Astley

Kate Bush

Shakin Stevens

Sam Fox

Sigue Sigue Sputnik

Kajagoogoo

Billy Idol (wonder if he's worked up to full face-grundging now)

Erasure

Soft Cell

No, I can't take it...the memories...

*BANG*

<NO CARRIER>

Oh...

I quite liked Adam and the Ants (well maybe 3 songs) and Depeche Mode...

Anonymous Coward

"Sigue Sigue Sputnik"

Ah yes, a band that wasn't disadvantaged with the ability to play their instruments.

The above is a quote from someone I know that worked on their tour.

Thumb Up

ermmmmmm

Other forms of media - movies, TV etc - have no particular effect

So my kids wont go round killing everybody because they play video games !!!

*phew i was under the belief from all the scientific studies they were at risk of turning into Mass murderers !!!

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge

too right

Dvorak always cheers!

Oh, give it a rest!

A load of middle class toss, if you ask me. Classical music makes you smarter, more mentally healthy... Please! Don't get me wrong, it has its artistic merits, but I feel that the arguments that listening to classical music makes you somehow a better person is nothing more than divisive, classist, elitist hot air.

@Dvorak

I could never get on with them ... all the right keys but just not in the right order.

0 I C .. you meant Antonín Dvořák

Nah, 80's electro-pop best for coding and dancing.

Unhappy

You know what.....

....is REALLY depressing?

Listening to the music now that you listened to when you were a teenager.

a) It's pisses over the tosh that passes as music today and most of the musicians are dead (or as good as dead)

b) It reminds me that I'm an overweight, 40-something, father-of-three and not a teenager.

Still, new Journey album soon!

@Ginolard

That's a bit unfair. Some of the stuff we listened to as spotty oiks hasn't exactly passed the test of time, and there's plenty of decent talent around these days if you know where to listen for it. There's *always* been crap music on the commercial stations, and crap books on chainstore bookshelves, come to that.

Actually, I think I've found the true cause of depression: "Participants received as many as 60 telephone calls from a trained staff member during 5 extended weekends in an 8-week period."

It would bloody well depress me, I know that.

Actually, just reading the presentation of the "study" sounded more like a cry for help from the perpetrators than anything else.

Silver badge
Pint

I was a spotty oik...

...some 45 years ago and I accept there was an awful lot of dross around then.

Ohio Express, 1910 Fruitgum Company, etc.

Ye Gods! It's probably a bad sign that I remember their names.

Maybe I shouldn't still be listening to some of my teenage likes...

Especially Napoleon XIV...

Beer? Well, why not?

Bronze badge

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

All I have to say is: Correlation does not imply causation.

(untitled)

Spot on.

Teenagers are often depressed. Teenagers often listen to music.

Don't make me haul out the pirates vs global warming graph.

Anonymous Coward

Reply to post: (untitled)

I would point out that I find it hard to read a book when I'm in an abnormal emotional state. If I'm incensed, it's hard to focus; if I'm morose, it's hard to focus; if I'm exuberant, it's hard to focus; etc. etc.. So, I'd bet there's some causation in there, just not so much as they'd like.

Silver badge
FAIL

Dud science...

They quizzed 106 adolescents, 46 of which were confirmed to be clinically depressive, and they think they can make any sort of decisive comment on that statistical basis. Ridiculous!

Im sure i could go out tomorrow to some school and find 106 adolescents who found reading makes them more depressive! & i would strongly disagree that using a figure of 43% of adolescents being diagnosed as clinically depressed represents a good cross section for study.

This is crap science, and until there study starts looking at thousands of students, from a variety of backgrounds and intelligence levels, & with a more realistic percentage of clinically depressed teens involved, then it will continue to be crap science. Poor form El reg for not debunking it as such...

Anonymous Coward

I'm guessing

I'm guessing it's America, in which case it's cool to be on meds and you're not a good parent unless you've got your kid a shrink and a good set of meds. It shows you care.

Anonymous Coward

i'm not trying to defend this study but

according to the abstract:

"Participants One hundred six adolescent participants who were part of a larger neurobehavioral study of depression in Pittsburgh from January 1, 2003, through December 31, 2008."

So if they just interviewed some who are part of a larger depression study, that explains their almost 50% MDD figure.

This post has been deleted by its author

Science

"The study involved 106 adolescent participants"

Terrible sample size = dire science.

FAIL

Maybe the researchers were listening to music

instead of reading textbooks on correct sample sizes for statistical validity.

WTF?

Book or iBook?

Perhaps my reading comprehension skills are fading with age, but could Doc's paper not be summarized as:

1) Teenagers get depressed listening to music or vis versa.

2) Teenagers like the sort of music I hate and vis versa.

3) Everything else may or may not be OK.

4) Can I have another grant please.

I shall now go back to reading "King Lear", and listening to "Tosca", to cheer myself up.

Dead Vulture

King Lear!

My mom forced me to go see that with her at a local theatre. Wasn't half bad! Normally I'd rather play League of Legends but a little culture never hurts.

Music doesn't make you depressed, bills and women do.

P.S. I love women so please don't murder me, they are just mean sometimes.

FAIL

Symptom?

Or alternatively, the music listening be a sympton of the depressive state, and book reading be a symptom of a clear and happy mind?

Pint

It makes sense

Considering the lyrics to most music drone on and on about the singer's "feelings", it's no bloody wonder that having that injected into your head all the time makes people depressed.

Take those things out of your ears, man-up, forget about your "feelings", and get on with your life!

FAIL

Ban this generic "music"!

Did they control for different kinds of music? For instance, kids listening to emo (whatever that is or means) versus those listening to R'n'B versus rap vs dance? Back in the day my cohorts and I were bouncing around to hip-hop, rave and indie with no ill-effect, whereas those who were closeted away listening to The Cure were left miserably picking away at the hems of their long black jumpers and the EBM crowd were just very, very angry with everything. That's actually a larger sample-size.

g e
Silver badge

Finntroll

Everyone must listen to Finntroll

Trollhammeren!

Depends what you listen too

I never had any problems listening to uplifting stuff like Joy Division and The Cure, or The Smiths if I really needed cheering up.

"And so, I checked all the registered historical facts

And I was shocked into shame to discover

How I'm the 18th pale descendant

Of some old queen or other"

Classic.

Anonymous Coward

Rubber Ring

Actually, this article made me think of Rubber Ring. An awesome song that sums up teenage musical obsession.

(In my case I didn't start listening to The Smiths until I was all grown up. I was a relatively happy teen, just a little bit of death-is-inevitable sleeplessness.)

I was looking for a job, and then I found a job

And heaven knows I'm miserable now

In my life

Oh, why do I give valuable time

To people who don't care if I live or die ?

---

NOW! that's what I call music.

Depends what you read...

Try something by Søren Kierkegaard. If that won't depress you, nothing will...

Silver badge

Wot!

The article didn't mention "trick cyclists"

Anonymous Coward

errrrr

that's a pretty low quality study, and the conclusion is rather hollow sounding.

Does it matter what music they're listening too? I can imagine 24 hours of nirvana, Lenord Cohen and, any western pop song will make you depressed, while listening to happy music you don't hate will cheer you up (In my case, s/mileage, girl's day and, scandal fit the bill). TBH that statement is probably about as scientifically valid as this study.

Back at school the guys that listened to music tended to be far happier than the guys that read books, as the guys listening to music had something to talk about with the girls while the guys who read books were in the library hiding from the guys who stole your pocket money.

Anonymous Coward

Chicken and egg...

But which way around is it? Does listening to too much music make you overly emotional and depressed, or do people who are inherently overly emotional and suffer from depression develop a greater dependency on music to help cope with it all?

I suspect you'll find that depressed and non-depressed people probably listen to very different types of music too, all of which is just as inevitable and understandable.

Boffin

crack pot theory

Music makes you want to dance, but we have a tendancy to listen to it in locations where dancing is not socially permissible (on the train etc), instead we must sit perfectly still against our natural instincts.

Conclusion: music is a nervous system depressant.

Although it might be more accurate to say that modern life is a nervous system depressant. How much less shit would the world be if we could dance on the train...

Or

"How much less shit would the world be if we could dance on the train."

Getting a bloody seat would be a start.

Anonymous Coward

No need ....

If we could dance on the train, we wouldn't need (or want!) seats. Plus the journey would go faster, and you'd get some exercise at the same time. Winners all round. I vote yes. Where do I vote please? :)

"Getting a bloody seat would be a start."

How about a nice game of musical chairs then? Should be mandatory on all trains.

Dance on a Train

You do get some dancing on the train to music, and it seemed to cheer everyone up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVeqNuHcb-I

PS Who needs a seat when you have a pole?

Joke

No, thanks

I prefer my seat squeaky clean, thank you!

Yes, yes. I know. Coat, door.

IT Angle

Proxy?

It'd be interesting to know whether the figures vary depending on how (and if) the music is paid for (or pirated). It might turn out that music listening is just a proxy for being a spoilt brat. With a sample of that size they could of course make it say whatever they like.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.