back to article Marantz Melody Media music combo

Apple’s AirPlay audio streaming facility is beginning to trickle out to an increasing range of devices, but Marantz took it to market first with the Melody Media – an enticing box of audio tricks, which includes a CD player, FM/AM/DAB+ tuner and Internet radio plus a 2 x 60W amplifier. Marantz Melody Media The Marantz Melody …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

versatile?

I've had a Pure Evoke FLow for years. wi-fi, streaming from my NAS, internet radio, fm, dab (dab+ isn't going to be in the uk for a while?). Personally, I stopped using cd's long ago. And it has a built in speaker and battery portability for bathroom / BBQ. Takes firmware updates automatically. Who needs apple?

Hell of a lot cheaper, and more versatile. Not for everyone, but suits me better to have something I can take from room to room, then plug into a generic amp in the kitchen. I use xbmc on a Revo with my main amp in the living room.

Just a cheaper alternative for some people... (there are so many cheaper, open alternatives in this market!).

FAIL

£500? No wi-fi?

No wi-fi is laughable for a device in this price bracket. It's a bedroom device and I don't really want to be running CAT-5 cables up the stairs. Nice try Marantz but no thanks.

Go

No worse than the Denon CEOL...

The comparison review of the Denon CEOL (RCD-N7 + speakers) made play of the wi-fi that it has over the Marantz, but given powerline ethernet is generally more reliable and doesn't require loads of Cat5.

Featurewise, the Marantz can drive 2 pairs of speakers (the CEOL can't) and can be used bi-amped to power 1 pair (for greater control) - I use this feature to drive a thumping pair of B&W DM603's and I can vouch for the sound quality. This little box replaced a 4-box Arcam Alpha rig!

The only gripe about any of the new crop of boxes featuring AirPlay is the rip-off for the firmware upgrade! Aren't you buying these boxes because of this feature? Why get charged extra?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums