back to article Hacks arrested in phone hacking probe

Two men have been arrested by the Metropolitan Police today as part of the restarted investigation into voicemail "hacking". The Operation Weeting team arrested a man aged 50 and another aged 42 when they arrived at separate police stations in southwest London. The two men are still in custody, being questioned on suspicion …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Evans

Grrrr!

I really wish they would stop calling this hacking... By the same measure I would be classed as a master cat burgler if I stole your TV when you left the front door wide open!

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

So...

... now that the police have acted in the interception of communications in one case, how can they defend their inactivity in another where the interception took place on a much larger scale?

Presumably it comes down to their assessment of "intent" - although I'm not sure lack of intent is a viable defence, nor do I think it's the place of the police to test this anyway - it should surely be tested in a court of law.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Justice not being done.

These guys turned themselves in. Probably because they were told to. Probably because ... well, I'm sure you can fill in the next few steps.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More of this sort of thing

"hacking"! In quotes!

10/10 and a gold star!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Still waiting for Andy Hayman's view on matters

Former Chief Constable in Norfolkshire, and either side of that was a senior officer at the Met, initially responsible for complaints handling, then after Norfolk was responsible for anti-terrorism operations at the Met. At that time, Hayman was also ACPO Ltd's anti-terrorism expert, where he was presumably in charge of UK undercover officers investigating peaceful legitimate protest organisations in the UK and in Germany.

While at the Met, Hayman handled the original investigation into illegal interception at the Murdoch-owned NoTW. His boss back then would be John Yates, who is currently looking vulnerable for having misled Parliament about the NoTW enquiries.

Retired from the Met then took up a position as a journalist. At the Murdoch-owned Times group.

Nice little earner, guv?

All above facts readily verifiable. Primary sources findable via e.g. Wikipedia.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Public Access?

I thought these people just phoned a mobile phone number and then entered the default voicemail access code as published by the phone companies.

Anyone who leaves their code at default is obviously not concerned about security so what's the problem?

One has to listen to the messages to find out you dialled someone elses number and not your own!

1. Scorchio!!

Re: Public Access?

Default access code would appear to be the problem of course, then again this is much like the default wireless router/cabled router problem.

As to the journalists themselves, I find it reprehensible and am puzzled. Why the hell did they not use a PAYG phone, topped up in cash, only switched on in locations chosen especially for that purpose? It's not that I'm encouraging them, but this would seem to be a case of stupid people cracking stupid people. They're pretty much like script kiddies/skiddies.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

"default voicemail access code"

"I thought these people just phoned a mobile phone number and then entered the default voicemail access code as published by the phone companies."

That doubtless accounts for a great many of the D-list celebs, and probably minor royals and the like.

But I believe a significant number were accessed by very dubious means, e.g. via routes involving call centre staff at mobile companies, who were either misled or incentivised.

Don't forget that the company we're dealing with here has had two fall guys locked up already in order to protect the higher ups [1] and has also admitted paying police for information and admitted getting heavy with MPs who wanted them to answer for their actions; see e.g. 2003 testimony from the then Sun editor (now running ALL Murdoch's papers) Rebekah Brooks aka Rebekah Wade to the Parliamentary Select Committee on Culture, Media, and Sport, [2]

Burn, Murdoch, burn.

[1] Clive Goodman (NotW royal correspondent) and Glenn Mulcaire (private detective working for NotW), both jailed in 2003 for illegally intercepting royal stuff. Look it up.

[2] http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/mar/30/mps-ask-rebekah-brooks-sun-payments-to-police

This topic is closed for new posts.